Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411640 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 07:40:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesInsane Gamasutra comment thread on Adam Coate's game Flytrap
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Author Topic: Insane Gamasutra comment thread on Adam Coate's game Flytrap  (Read 32998 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 18, 2009, 02:34:05 PM »

Yeah, what I meant was that a game can have no real flaws but still be kinda mediocre.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: December 18, 2009, 02:38:47 PM »

What would you propose that I do?
Ok, as your new PR officer, I would suggest you play Splunkey, and claim to have reversed your stance on the game, even if you didn't.

Also dropping the air of superiority would help people like you. Get involved in the indie games community! Make friends here! It's not too late!

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
kiwasabi
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 18, 2009, 02:41:12 PM »

Ok, as your new PR officer, I would suggest you play Splunkey, and claim to have reversed your stance on the game, even if you didn't.

Also dropping the air of superiority would help people like you. Get involved in the indie games community! Make friends here! It's not too late!

I already played and reversed my stance on Spelunky in the original thread, and proceeded to make a lot of feedback on the game.

And it's sort of hard to make friends when everybody already hates you.
kiwasabi
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 18, 2009, 02:41:39 PM »

Yeah, what I meant was that a game can have no real flaws but still be kinda mediocre.

And have you played the game?
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: December 18, 2009, 02:42:14 PM »

Those that have played it say it's ok for a five minute distraction and those that have commented on the art say it looks dated.

If my art looks dated, then 99% of the games on this site have graphics from the stone ages.

Also, the people who played the game who are only calling the game "meh" are just trying to appeal to the general negative attitude towards me.
I agree that a lot of games in the indie scene have very retro styled graphics. You seem to believe this to be a negative whereas I believe it to be irrelevant. You seem to have a persecution complex and think all comments towards you are negative. In fact the only negative comments towards you have been about your attitude. However, you have been very negative about other's work and have been outright insulting about Derek yu's Spelunky.
Right, and they're transferring that hatred of my character towards their judgment of my game.
Okay, but you are still perpetuating it, how does this help your cause?

What would you propose that I do?
You need to be a bit more humble and gracious. Try to take all comments one board, even those you don't agree with. Maybe try a little reverse empathy and try to see things from others point of view. At the moment you are comimg across as very aggressive and confrontational.

kiwasabi
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 18, 2009, 02:42:33 PM »

By "busy", I'm referring to the difference between this and this. The second one is less busy, and thus easier to interpret quickly. These images are exaggerated and Fly Trap isn't as busy, but I personally would still appreciate it if the frogs were brighter and had stronger shadows than the background.

(both images are from this excellent guide)

Making the frogs brighter and the shadow darker are easy fixes that could be applied to the game's first update. But this still doesn't account for the graphics being "meh".
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 18, 2009, 02:44:05 PM »

And have you played the game?
I couldn't even if I wanted to (which I do, by the way, I wanna see what the fuss is about). XBLIG doesn't exist in my country, unfortunately.

Also, I wasn't talking about Flytrap specifically. I said "a game", not "your game".
team_q
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2009, 02:44:13 PM »

And it's sort of hard to make friends when everybody already hates you.

I don't hate you. I've never met you, you might be a nice guy. You care and are creative enough to make a video game.

Edit: I mean, you obviously really like what you have made, which is awesome, its cool that you believe in your creative works. It's really too bad that your enthusiasm turned to bitterness when you didn't see others sharing in it. You aren't going to make a mint with this game, but that shouldn't stop you from making games.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 02:49:51 PM by Eric McQuiggan » Logged

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
kiwasabi
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 18, 2009, 02:47:43 PM »

You seem to have a persecution complex and think all comments towards you are negative. In fact the only negative comments towards you have been about your attitude.

Since when does a creator's attitude have anything to do with the quality of their product? James Cameron has 100X the ego I do, and you'll all see Avatar.

However, you have been very negative about other's work and have been outright insulting about Derek yu's Spelunky.

Right, and this is the main reason people here hate me. But you know what? The game is derivative and doesn't deserve the type of attention it's getting. People in the indie games community value their opinion of the creator him/herself too highly over the actual quality of the games they make. Hence, most people in this community have a very warped sense of quality.
team_q
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: December 18, 2009, 02:52:10 PM »

Innovation != Quality!
Canabalt and Spelunky deserve exactly as much attention as they get, and attacking them won't make people like your game.

Also, stop attacking peoples tastes, it doesn't make any sense.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: December 18, 2009, 02:54:45 PM »

You seem to have a persecution complex and think all comments towards you are negative. In fact the only negative comments towards you have been about your attitude.

Since when does a creator's attitude have anything to do with the quality of their product? James Cameron has 100X the ego I do, and you'll all see Avatar.
Actually, this thread is mainly about your attitude and how it reflects badly upon you. There is very little about the quality of your game as very few people have played it.

However, you have been very negative about other's work and have been outright insulting about Derek yu's Spelunky.

Right, and this is the main reason people here hate me.
Go figure. People don't like you, because you're very insulting towards others. I'm glad you finally admit that much.

kiwasabi
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 18, 2009, 02:55:08 PM »

Innovation != Quality!
Canabalt and Spelunky deserve exactly as much attention as they get, and attacking them won't make people like your game.

Spelunky is not really that high quality in terms of gameplay.

Also, stop attacking peoples tastes, it doesn't make any sense.

I'm not attacking peoples' tastes, I'm attacking the criteria whereby they judge the quality of a product. Judge the product, not the person.
kiwasabi
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 18, 2009, 02:57:29 PM »

Actually, this thread is mainly about your attitude and how it reflects badly upon you. There is very little about the quality of your game as very few people have played it.

My attitude is the only reason any of you know what Flytrap is.

People don't like you, because your very insulting towards others. I'm glad you finally admit that much.

See, that's the problem. I was insulting Derek Yu's GAME, not his PERSONALITY. Separate the person from the product. It's impossible for anybody to be critical of Spelunky because everyone loves Derek Yu too much.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: December 18, 2009, 02:57:40 PM »

Where's the popcorn smiley?

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: December 18, 2009, 02:59:45 PM »

Well, what's more important to you:
1. Convincing other people that their criteria for appreciating games is stupid.
2. Getting people to play and enjoy your game.

So far your actions imply #1.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: December 18, 2009, 03:02:08 PM »

So I guess this actually is just a case of yet another indie developer deciding to act like a jerk to drum up publicity for his game... Roll Eyes

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
kiwasabi
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 18, 2009, 03:02:49 PM »

Well, what's more important to you:
1. Convincing other people that their criteria for appreciating games is stupid.
2. Getting people to play and enjoy your game.

So far your actions imply #1.

What's more important to you? Playing fun games, or lecturing the creators to improve their attitude? I think there are major problems in the indie scene as a whole, so #1 is very important to me, but of course in the short-term, #2 is more important.
kiwasabi
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 18, 2009, 03:03:36 PM »

So I guess this actually is just a case of yet another indie developer deciding to act like a jerk to drum up publicity for his game... Roll Eyes

The frustration I expressed in the Gamasutra comments thread was very much real.
raiten
« Reply #118 on: December 18, 2009, 03:04:27 PM »

I'm not attacking peoples' tastes, I'm attacking the criteria whereby they judge the quality of a product. Judge the product, not the person.

Yeah, negativeGamer could probably sense how awful of a person you were even before you started these shenanigans, must be why they graded it "leave to die".
team_q
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: December 18, 2009, 03:04:49 PM »

Spelunky is not really that high quality in terms of gameplay.
It is, you are obsessed with innovation that you cannot see the excellent depth the simplistic game play leads to. It feels like you would have been the type of dude to rail against older blizzard games because their contemporaries have more advanced features.

Well stop! I hate Peggle, but I don't tell my family that play it that, because telling them that what they enjoy is a simplistic lights show specifically created to cause Excitement, is just being a dick, they won't change their opinion, because they ENJOY it.

Also, "There is no best pickle, only best pickles!" seems to apply.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic