Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411632 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 09:39:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGames[s]Bob's Game[/s] POKEMAN
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 54
Print
Author Topic: [s]Bob's Game[/s] POKEMAN  (Read 173536 times)
Renton
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2008, 11:35:53 PM »

I might have set this thread aflame.
Now I shall light my pipe with the fiery posts and speak no more.
Impossible
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2008, 11:36:15 PM »

This kind of reminds me of Demon rush.
I thought the same thing. The graphics aren't as bad as TDR, the game might be more interesting, but everything else is similar. The SA thread, a single developer with a warped sense of talent, the RPG Maker style even though its not an RPG Maker game.
arrogancy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2008, 03:49:44 AM »

I'm on that SA thread under another name

Oh hey, you're Darko.  Why didn't you just re-reg your arrogancy account after you got banned?

It carried too much history because I used to troll GBS all of the time so I switched names for a while to get people used to me not starting stuff. I just never bothered to switch back once everyone knew who I was.
arrogancy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2008, 03:52:37 AM »

Everything now depends on how good his game actually is.
Would everything depend on something else if he had different marketing tactics?

A lot of people will make exceptions for a more flawed game or be less critical if it's marketed in a "nicer" way. If he came off as nicer, he could have made a "pretty good" game and probably sold as much as if he makes a "really good" game now. Now it HAS to be almost flawless or else it will be nitpicked to hell even if the good outweighs the bad.

It would be like if Braid wasn't as good as it was and had 5 "bad" puzzles instead of one or something. Blow would have gotten trashed a great deal more.
Movius
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2008, 04:16:47 AM »

He should assert his meta-qualities better. The time of promoting games on merit is long gone.
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2008, 04:24:28 AM »

Let's all attack the creator and not the creation. Oh what's that? We know very little about either? Hm.

ChevyRay
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2008, 04:35:43 AM »

Okay, you guys need to calm down.

Here, smoke some weed. Let us draw from the peace pipes!
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2008, 04:41:21 AM »

Let's all attack the creator and not the creation. Oh what's that? We know very little about either? Hm.

Unless the creation is the Frankenstein monster, I think this is generally how it works, yes.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2008, 04:43:04 AM »

Sad Now you made me feel bad.

But I realized that we were going through the acceptable threshold there, so I apologize if I contributed to it.

I propose we wait for more information on the game before further discussion is had.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Gnarf
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2008, 05:58:36 AM »

And most of the games of those arrogant bastards usually turn out to be shite, because they're just too damn arrogant to take criticism.
I mean, Daikatana, anyone?
Played Daikatana much?

Either way, if a game is horrible, being able to take criticism won't help a lot. People giving criticism are mostly retarded too, so if you just take their word for whatever they're claiming, you're fucked. You have to know what you're doing, otherwise listening to a bunch of noise won't do your game any good. It's nice to be able to figure out what the problem really is when someone's complaining about something vaguely related and like, give it some thought. But there's a whole lot more to that than whether or not you're a bit arrogant.

This just sounds like coming up with new and improved justifications for talking shit about the guy. "Didn't you hear? Arrogant people invented level-scaling and dynamic difficulty adjustment. Because arrogant people are bad game designers, and so it is a big deal and relevant."

So we don't know much about the game and we don't know a whole lot about the creator. He spent five years coding a game for the DS. That's pretty cool either way. And it more or less makes him an interesting person. It would be interesting to hear more about what that was like, you know. Well, anything would be more interesting than discussing whether or not he'd make a good marketing cunt.
ChevyRay
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2008, 06:13:14 AM »

Poor guy :D he's probably so proud of his creation, and has no idea there's these random groups of folks just speaking his name through their teeth.

I did find the video a bit strange, though Tongue
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2008, 06:19:47 AM »

I think... the video makes the game look bad. If I saw that trailer for a professional game, I would dismiss it without a second though. But the PR surrounding it, whether intentional or not, makes me much more interested in how it will turn out. So I guess I would rather Bob's Game with the hype than Bob's Game with modesty. But what I would prefer over both of them is a game that actually looks like it will be good.

ChevyRay
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2008, 06:23:42 AM »

I second that last statement. I'll probably keep tabs on Bob's story Tongue but I doubt I'll play the game.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2008, 06:36:04 AM »

If I saw that trailer for a professional game, I would dismiss it without a second though. But the PR surrounding it, whether intentional or not, makes me much more interested in how it will turn out. So I guess I would rather Bob's Game with the hype than Bob's Game with modesty.

Beer!

That's what I say.  If Bob weren't such an oddball this would just be another RPG.  It's a kooky story.  Just enjoy it.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Movius
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2008, 10:45:41 AM »

It's not so unusual to see this much bile thrown at someone for making great claims with supposedly little evidence to back them up. But it is highly amusing to see the criticism originate from people whose posts comprise of 90% obfuscation and/or prestidigitation.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2008, 02:01:52 PM »

Huh? Huh?

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2008, 04:02:38 PM »

But it is highly amusing to see the criticism originate from people whose posts comprise of 90% obfuscation and/or prestidigitation.

Ala Kazoo!  Ala Kazam!  Bob's Game is now... a bouquet of flowers! *poof*

Thank you, thank you Gentleman

tweet tweet @j_younger
Cossix
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2008, 05:06:16 PM »

This is actually I think the THIRD video of the game he's posted. And I still have no idea what you're supposed to do in the game, unless it's like a giant 2D Shenmue with no combat.
Capten
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2008, 10:58:57 PM »

This is actually I think the THIRD video of the game he's posted. And I still have no idea what you're supposed to do in the game, unless it's like a giant 2D Shenmue with no combat.
I think it's pretty obvious. Talk to people, collect items, solve puzzles and explore the world.
arrogancy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2008, 05:50:23 AM »

I think it's pretty obvious. Talk to people, collect items, solve puzzles and explore the world.

He's said there's more to it than that, centering around "Bob's game"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 54
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic