Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 15, 2024, 12:12:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsManifold Garden
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 63
Print
Author Topic: Manifold Garden  (Read 395873 times)
William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: March 12, 2014, 03:25:23 AM »

Zoned out and accidentally stayed up all night making a new level:

Time to get some rest now...

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: March 14, 2014, 04:22:18 AM »

Another all night level-building session. I think I might actually be able to get this level done before heading out to GDC.

Cloudiest Nights
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 14, 2014, 08:14:36 PM »

Just read through the whole devlog and I can't express how impressed I am. At first it looked like an interesting idea with decent art, and now it looks like a whole bunch of amazing ideas with superb alpha art! Keep up the good work!  Gentleman

EDIT:
By the way, have you checked out Tri at all?

It has a similar idea of changing gravity, but focuses on triangles instead. I've bought it a while ago, but haven't had the chance to play it yet.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 09:37:01 PM by Cloudiest Nights » Logged

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: March 14, 2014, 10:29:29 PM »

Just read through the whole devlog and I can't express how impressed I am. At first it looked like an interesting idea with decent art, and now it looks like a whole bunch of amazing ideas with superb alpha art! Keep up the good work!  Gentleman

EDIT:
By the way, have you checked out Tri at all?

It has a similar idea of changing gravity, but focuses on triangles instead. I've bought it a while ago, but haven't had the chance to play it yet.

Hello Cloudiest Nights!

First of all, thanks for taking the time to read through the devlog! Really appreciate it. 

After I read your comment, I realized I hadn't looked at some of the earlier posts in quite a long time, and decided to take a stroll down memory lane. Man, some of the earlier stuff looked really primitive, especially compared to how the game looks now.

It's amazing how small changes here and there can really add up.

I am familiar with TRI. I actually purchased the Beta not long ago and played through several levels. It's quite fun, and I love the art style and music in that game, though I did have to stop around level 7 as I was feeling a little nauseous.

The 'walking-on-wall' mechanic in that game works very differently than the one in Relativity. In Relativity, you always rotate 90 degrees, so after the rotation, the alignment of everything is back to normal. In TRI, however, because you're walking on the triangles you place in order to walk against gravity, you can be in a range of angles. It makes for really cool visuals, but as someone who gets motion sickness easily, I just couldn't continue.

I definitely recommend playing TRI, especially as you already have a copy. It's a very neat idea, beautifully executed. I can say though that Relativity will be very different. In TRI, there are a lot of puzzles where you need to figure out how to get from point A to point B, and build a path to do so. In Relativity, not so much. Locomotion is really easy, it's more about how you can use the different gravities to offset one another and solve spatial puzzles.

This probably doesn't make much sense at the moment, but I'm planning on releasing a video soon that will go over some of the core mechanics which should give you a better idea of what I mean.

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: March 15, 2014, 06:36:59 AM »

These last few days have been pretty hectic trying to get a new level together for a demo for GDC. However, it's finally all coming together. There's a major area that I won't have time to add, but pretty much 80% of the level is there.

The most important thing is that it's playable, and you can get a real sense of the scale and type of gameplay in the more advanced parts of Relativity.

I will post a more detailed update with gifs and explanations soon, but in the meantime, here's a screenshot.

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: March 15, 2014, 06:38:02 AM »

These last few days have been pretty hectic trying to get a new level together for a demo for GDC. However, it's finally all coming together. There's a major area that I won't have time to add, but pretty much 80% of the level is there.

The most important thing is that it's playable, and you can get a real sense of the scale and type of gameplay in the more advanced parts of Relativity.

I will post a more detailed update with gifs and explanations soon, but in the meantime, here's a screenshot.

Looks awesome!  Gentleman Any chance that the public (aka tigsource Wink) would get to play this level demo aswell as those at GDC?

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: March 15, 2014, 06:46:45 AM »

Looks awesome!  Gentleman Any chance that the public (aka tigsource Wink) would get to play this level demo aswell as those at GDC?

Unfortunately, not yet...

The demo is still really broken in a lot of ways. With GDC, I'll be next to the playtester, so will be able to explain when things aren't working the way they're supposed to, or press shortcut keys to skip areas that I know aren't working, etc.

Also, I have an idea now for the overall structure of the game, as well as how to direct the player in a large open-world environment, but I still have to conduct experiments to see if they actually work. I definitely want to work out these issues first before I put out a public demo.

I'm also not 100% sure how to do the demo yet. I'd definitely like to give people a taste of the game, but I also don't want to spoil anything... I suppose that's the struggle with a lot of demos, though.

Greg Game Man
Level 5

i have to return some videotapes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: March 15, 2014, 06:49:14 AM »

Amazing work! Lovely architecture in the levels too.

These kind of games often feel a bit blank on the world lore though. I'd suggest having characters hanging around the levels that you can talk to about the story.

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: March 15, 2014, 06:57:54 AM »

Amazing work! Lovely architecture in the levels too.

These kind of games often feel a bit blank on the world lore though. I'd suggest having characters hanging around the levels that you can talk to about the story.

Thanks, Greg! I know what you mean about the world lore. That is something I plan to work on eventually, and I have a few ideas on how to address this, but I won't be using characters.

The main reason is because it won't really be consistent with the gameplay style of the game. What I mean is, as part of the design philosophy, I want to let the player explore stuff as much on their own as possible. To this end, there are no tutorials and explanations of anything. Having characters tell the story to the player would be breaking this rule for me.

Another reason is that visually it won't really fit. I really want this world to feel alien and mysterious, and I've chosen a minimalist art style because I know that's something that I can do well and stay consistent. If I start adding characters, they'll probably be poorly modeled and animated, and it would just ruin the immersion.

I do have several ideas for creating a narrative thread throughout the game. I'll do a more detailed post on it once I have the time. Ideally, I would like the narrative to be reflective of the gameplay, and to be different from what has already been done.

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: March 16, 2014, 04:07:26 AM »

DevLog Update #40 - 03/16/2014

This past week has been crazy busy for me. After IndieCade East last month, I came home with a lot of ideas for level design, new mechanics, as well as the overall structure of the game. I wanted to implement a lot of these features in time for GDC so that I can get some feedback to confirm I'm headed in the redirection, or make corrections if necessary.

As it turns out, because the project has gotten so big and so advanced at this point, that everything I'm adding takes an incredibly long time to implement. For example, a few weeks earlier, I was working on the water mechanics for the game. I had finally worked out several key design issues with water, and just had to sit down and write the tech stuff. The water itself was pretty tricky to begin with, getting redirection and gravity behavior correct, but what made it extra difficult was that it had to work with all the other systems I had in place.

And that was just one issue among many. Anyway, after many many late nights, I finally got a demo ready. I'm doing some last-minute testing, and there are still a few minor bugs, but the thing is more or less playable, and I'm really happy with it so far. It really feels like the game is starting to come into its own.

If any of you are attending GDC next week, and want to try out the demo, just let me know! I'll most likely be wandering around the convention center, and will have my laptop with me. Best way to reach me would be via twitter: @willychyr.

To celebrate getting a demo ready after many late nights, below is a completely new set of gifs and screenshots:

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: March 31, 2014, 01:44:13 PM »

DevLog Update #41 - 03/31/2014

Hey all! It's been a while since the last update. March has been a pretty busy month. Between trying to implement all the feedback from IndieCade East in February, attending GDC, and starting playtesting again, I haven't found the time to post here as regularly.

Anyway, finally made enough progress on the different fronts to take a small break and write up an update.

GDC

So, this was my first time attending GDC, and just as everyone had told me, it turned out to be awesome. I only had an expo pass, so didn't get to go to any of the talks or workshops. But even then, for me, it was amazing just meeting other developers and getting feedback on my work.

There were so many indie developers whose work I respect that were there, and all of them were super approachable and generous with their feedback. Some of the people who I had playtest the game and get feedback from were Justin Ma (FTL), Marc ten Bosch (Miegakure), Brendon Chung (Quadrilateral Cowboy), and Pohung Chen (Perspective). They all had very different and interesting insight and feedback on the game.

Justin talked about having a clear distinction between areas where the player is solving a puzzle, vs areas where the player is supposed to be exploring. If there's confusion between what the player is supposed to do, the player can't quite approach the problem with the right mindset. For me, this was a really good insight, because I had noticed that sometimes players would walk into a puzzle room, and when they don't get the puzzle right away, they would turn around and walk out, thinking they had missed something they need earlier.

For me, when playing other puzzle games, this is a really frustrating feeling to have. Is the reason why I'm not able to solve this puzzle because I'm not getting it? Or is it because I just don't have the right tool? This is why I really enjoyed Portal's puzzles, because you knew in each test chamber, that all the elements you need were right there, you just needed to piece them together correctly.

From this, I know I need to make the distinction between puzzles and exploration areas more clear. The challenge is that, unlike Portal, there is backtracking in Relativity. I don't seal off a test chamber once you enter it, so how can make sure that the player understands that they have everything they need right there to solve it? Fortunately, because the player can walk on all different surfaces in the game, I can place the entrance in an area that's not as easy to go back into once the player enters a puzzle area, so that it's clear, "hey, this is an isolated area with a puzzle".

He also had some feedback with the visuals, and really emphasize the need for the game to have a unique visual identity, to distinguish it from a lot of other FPS puzzle games.

I showed the game to Marc ten Bosch and Brendon Chung separately on Thursday afternoon at GDC, one after the other, and both gave me really good feedback on puzzle pacing and level design, specifically on how to isolate individual concepts, and introduce them one at a time. I didn't realize until then that in a lot of my earlier puzzles, I was actually introducing 2 or more concepts at once, and a lot of players would get confused on what they were supposed to take away.

It was also interesting to see their approaches to puzzles. Marc, himself working on a puzzle game based on an abtract mathematical idea, found the difficulty level in the puzzles to be just right, and said that any hints or additions to make them easier would ruin the puzzles, but Brendon, who does more linear narrative based games, found the first puzzle to be really challenging. In a way, both are correct. The puzzles don't need to be made easier, but there needs to be other puzzles before those, to correctly lead up the player. This way, it can address the issue of pacing. For example, I ended up adding another puzzle before what was originally the first one, to isolate one of the concepts, and but kept a lot of the other designs. From playtesting I've done since then, this seems to work a lot better.

Pohung gave me some awesome insight on puzzle design. He used an analogy from the Chris Nolan film, The Prestige, specifically this line about the structure of magic acts:

Every great magic trick consists of three parts or acts. The first part is called "The Pledge". The magician shows you something ordinary: a deck of cards, a bird or a man. He shows you this object. Perhaps he asks you to inspect it to see if it is indeed real, unaltered, normal. But of course... it probably isn't. The second act is called "The Turn". The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled. But you wouldn't clap yet. Because making something disappear isn't enough; you have to bring it back. That's why every magic trick has a third act, the hardest part, the part we call "The Prestige".

In the same way, a great puzzle should follow this structure. Pohung used one the puzzles from Relativity that he felt did this correctly (which was actually unintended on my part). The puzzle had two parts. The first part is pretty easy, and is meant as a build up to the second part. The second part at first seems like the first part, but actually requires a variation of the technique. Pohung talked about his line of thinking in approaching the second part, going "Ah, this looks easy, it's just what I did before.... wait a minute... that's not going to work here... hm..... ah ha!". As such, this puzzle shows something ordinary (a simple technique that the player learns), then something extraordinary (the puzzle looks similar, but it seems the technique no longer applies...), and then brings it back (player realizes a variation of the technique would work).

Anyway, it's quite difficult to talk about puzzle design in depth without showing you the actual puzzles. However, hopefully there's some high-level stuff that you may find helpful in approaching puzzle design for you own games.

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: March 31, 2014, 05:21:26 PM »

Just read every update from the start. Awesome work.  Wizard

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: March 31, 2014, 05:24:37 PM »

DevLog Update #42 - 03/31/2014 (Part 2)

One of the things I've decided to focus on these past few days is to refine the look of the game, and try to develop a unique visual identity. Up until now, pretty much every visual decision has been made based on functional reasons.

Since architecture has been, and still is, a key theme of the game, I thought that would be a good place to start looking for inspiration. Eventually, I came across this post by Thomas Eichhorn about a shader inspired by old architectural drawings. Eichhorn originally wrote it for vvvv, but looking at the image of the final result, I thought this would be a good place for me to start.

I took his image of the final result of the shader, and added a layer of blue highlights to the upward facing surfaces:

I actually quite like the look. Immediately, it provides a sense of atmosphere, a warm, nostalgic feeling that takes me back to reading illustrated adventure books as a kid. I thought it would be a great style to offset to clinical/sterile nature of the game at the moment. Also, it didn't look like any other 3D game out there, so this would help in establishing a visual identity.

But first, I had to roll up my sleeves and dive into shader programming.

Edge-Detection
I started off by looking at the edge-detection image effect script that comes packaged with Unity Pro. After a day of being totally confused, with a failed attempt at learning node-based shader programming with Shader Forge, I was eventually able to understand what the script was doing.

There are 5 different modes with Unity's edge-detection script. For my purposes, the closet one to what I was looking for was "RobertsCrossDepthNormals", which basically selects one pixel, and then checks to see if the surrounding pixels have similar normals or depth values. If not, then a edge is drawn. However, there were a few problems, namely, it wasn't able to pick up several important edges.

Here's a shot of a set of stairs, which is pretty common throughout Relativity:

With Unity's edge detection applied, this is what it looks like:

So you can see the problem here is that the edges of the steps on higher section of the staircase are getting lost. This is because the algorithm is using both the normals and the scene depth to figure out the line, and in the higher sections, because you're just seeing the front face of the steps, and not the top face, the normals are all the same.

You can increase the depth sensitivity, which does pick up the edges of the steps higher up, but also ends up with these black artifacts for areas in the distance, where there's a large change in depth value. You can see the same issue happening on the side of the cube in the middle of the frame:

Another problematic area was when I had staircases on the side:
]

From this angle, Unity's edge-detection works really well, since you can see very clearly both the front face as well as the top face of the steps:

However, from another angle, the edges disappear completely:

I decided therefore to create my own edge-detection algorithm, using what Unity has done as a starting ground. The main difference is that instead of checking to comparing to see whether both the normals and depth values are similar, I break it into two steps.

First, I do a check comparing only the normal values of surrounding pixesl. The selection of pixels is actually from the original Unity script. Basically, if the pixel we are examining at the moment is "A", then compare the normal value of the pixel "B" vs "E" and then "C" vs "D".

The reason why I start with normals first is that, in my case, there are no false positives. In other words, when you're only using normals to do edge-detection, you will only miss edges, you won't pick up wrong edges. Of course, this wouldn't work if you had curved surfaces, but for me, since all the angles in Relativity are 90 degree angles, and everything is made up of boxes, this was no problem.

So I draw a first set of edges that pass the normal test.

For the second step, I then take everything else, and run it through a depth test. This time, I add up the depth values of pixels "B", "C", "D", and "E", then divide by 4, getting a value for the average depth value for the surrounding pixels. I then subtract this value from the depth value of pixel "A", and if the difference is greater than 0.001, then it's determined to be an edge.

In the following images, the blue lines are edges drawn in the first round by comparing normals, and the red lines are edges drawn in the second round by comparing depth values.

You can see that where the normal test misses the edges, the depth test is able to catch them. And the sensitivity at which the depth test is set allows me to pick up the edges, while not getting any of the weird artifacts from the default Unity shader.

Here's what it looks like with all black lines:

Of course, there's still some issues, such as the normal lines being thicker than the depth lines, and I still need to fade out the lines in the distance to help with player depth perception. But overall, I think it's a pretty good start, especially since considering yesterday morning, I had no idea even how to approach this.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 10:04:14 AM by Willy Chyr » Logged

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: March 31, 2014, 05:46:28 PM »

That style would look great for this game. It reminds me of the sketched look Cloudbuilt has

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: March 31, 2014, 05:54:26 PM »

Just read every update from the start. Awesome work.  Wizard

Thanks OniWorld!

That style would look great for this game. It reminds me of the sketched look Cloudbuilt has

I hadn't heard of Cloudbuilt until now. Just checked out the trailer. Man, that game looks great. The movement looks a little stiff, but they really nailed the sketched look.

Thanks for the recommendation, Christian! I think something like that would be amazing to experience in first-person.  

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: March 31, 2014, 10:39:26 PM »

This still needs a TON of work, but I think I might finally be getting somewhere...

What do you all think? Hand Thumbs Up Right or  Hand Thumbs Down Right?

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: April 01, 2014, 01:27:22 AM »

Alright, going to sign off for the night now. But before I do, here are a few more shots with the new look. Do let me know what you guys think!

bsp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 01, 2014, 02:35:36 AM »

Dude, it's a really nice improvement! Keep going Smiley

Congrats on getting into the MEGABOOTH as well! I'll need to stop by at East if I can find some time and finally try it.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: April 01, 2014, 04:00:55 AM »

The new art style looks wonderful. I liked the original look, but this really stands out

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: April 01, 2014, 05:42:58 AM »

New style is looking great, really clear.

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 63
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic