Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411722 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58455 Members - Latest Member: Sergei

May 22, 2024, 07:35:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallCyborg War
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Cyborg War  (Read 4659 times)
sigfarter
Level 7

卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2010, 09:07:28 PM »

CYBORG WAR
Teaser Site: http://www.cyborgwar.com

A BRIEF HISTORY
My name is Sigvatr. I am known here and there on the internet for doing various things, including getting banned from these forums and just about every other forum in existence (Derek said I could re-register if I had information on a game I was working on to post; I promise I will be good this time). Anyway...

My reputation as a shock artist causes me some frustration. I am a passionate and dedicated game designer who spends most of his time working on genuinely interesting and polished projects. However, the relatively small amount of time I have spent on pulling pranks in the past is what got me on Fox News, into advisory consultations with Australia's intelligence agency and effectively banned from a country. It takes a few weeks and a few Red Bulls to make a blatantly offensive computer game with Commodore 64 style graphics, but many years of extremely hard work to create a professional quality, rock solid cross-platform computer game. Especially when you create literally every aspect of the game by yourself. Which is what I do.

Way back in 2007 I started working on a game known as Link-Dead with Soldat creator Michal Marcinkowski. My duties were chiefly creating the game's graphics, occasionally writing caffeine-fueled ten page rants on game design and persistently arguing with Michal about how we should do things. After two years of stern dedication and enormous dreams that never came to fruition, I eventually realized that by trying to work with someone else I was actually trying to turn them into my pawn.

I'm as egotistical as the next game designer and think that I am capable of conjuring up brilliant gameplay ideas and sharp, witty criticism of other games beyond the abilities of most people who involve themselves with gaming in any particular way. I had my first taste of making my own games sixteen years ago and have truly and sincerely felt that I was destined to create amazing computer games for my entire life. Combined with Michal's confidence in his own abilities due to the success of his 2002 release of Soldat, the partnership was eventually shattered due to my realization that I cannot make any compromises when it comes to game design, specifically letting other people make decisions I disagree with.

This happened a bit more than a year ago and I have not spoken with Michal since then. I effectively threw two years of hard work into my junk folder and forced Michal to start from ground-zero in terms of Link-Dead's graphics. Frankly it's a lot of drama I don't want to go over anymore, so we'll just leave it at that.

After my realization that I would have to be completely self-sufficient in my quest to create exceptional computer games, I essentially disappeared from the internet for over a year. In fact, I didn't even have an internet connection at all for the majority of that time. I spent my time in mostly self-induced isolation teaching myself to program, which is the one thing that has been holding me back from being a completely self-sufficient game designer and very likely also the reason I spent so many years trying to start and manage game design projects with strangers that always ended in a lot of unnecessary drama.

Frankly, computer programming terrified me for my entire life. I didn't feel like I had either the time or ability to include game programming in my already stressful roster of everything else that entails the creation of a computer game, including creating graphics, sound effects, music, etc... Surprisingly, I found that computer programming came very naturally to me, and in the past year that I have been programming for I have thoroughly enjoyed the experience to such a degree that I only get around 4-5 hours of sleep at night due to my eagerness to program for extremely long sessions (think several days without sleeping).

My lifestyle and routine are pretty much been set in concrete now that I have nailed the last nail into the coffin. There is absolutely nothing holding me back as a game designer anymore and I am so enthralled in my passion of game design that I spend the vast majority of my waking time working on my my project(s).

It just so happens that I have been putting 100+ hours of work a week into game design for the past year, which has been difficult to juggle with a part-time job, a wife and the recent addition of a baby (I'm a daddy!). To be honest, not having the internet for such a long time did help out in this department quite a lot. I didn't want to announce anything (or even make an appearance online) for quite a long time and am only doing so now because I am at the stage of development in this project where I can regularly update people on my progress and keep it interesting.

So, I've started my own game company called Brain Damage and am ready now to make my announcement now...

THE EVOLUTION OF CYBORG WAR
Cyborg War is essentially a fork of the still-in-development Link-Dead. None of the assets from Link-Dead are being used (in fact, they aren't being used in either of the two projects), but I have carried over all of my ideas and inspirations from the prior project unscathed by criticism or petty disagreement. When Michal first made his announcement about Link-Dead, he had literally dreamed the idea for the game up in a brief flash of creativity on that very day. There were no details, only a vague idea of what the game should be. I began working with Michal only a day or two after his announcement, so we both nurtured the spirit of the game from the ground up. Due to this, some of my essence remains in Link-Dead and some of Michal's essence has carried over to Cyborg War as we both worked on the same iteration for so long. However, now the two games share few similarities aside from generalities and as a result of our vast differences and disagreements.

Long story short, Cyborg War is not Link-Dead; in fact it is a very different game. I just want to make that clear here and now, and I also want to make it clear that there is no competition or ill-feelings involved at work here. These two projects being discussed here grew from the same seed, but are now maturing into completely separate trees.

CYBORG WAR
Cyborg War is the first episode in the projected Humanity Extinct series of computer games and is a team-play based, multiplayer platform game designed for the Windows, Macintosh and Linux platforms. Taking place in the corroded and weathered ruins of a future civilization and a dead ecosystem where organic life is no longer supported, the human species has brought about its own extinction. In the wake of humanity, an incongruous and synthetic ecosystem of rapidly evolving mechanical life transforms the planet into a nightmare never before imagined.

Cyborg War is a game of high-impact side-scrolling chaos and destruction. Projected with a capacity for 64 players in one game, players play the role of one of two teams which are chosen from a bank of unsettlingly dystopian races and fight over extremely large, detailed battlegrounds spanning several miles in length and reaching into the stratosphere. The keys to victory in Cyborg War are patience, long-term planning and lightning-fast reflexes which maintain an atmosphere of constant tension. Combined with a real-time, procedurally generated soundtrack and visuals, a morbidly styled underlying theme and nihilistic inspirations, the end result is the conjuration of an experience of perpetual, pulsating dread and vast, exploratory possibilities.

TECHNOLOGY
The Cyborg War game itself is constructed on top of two core technologies developed in C++ from the ground up specifically for this game:

Concussion Engine - The Concussion Engine is a 2D, side-scrolling game engine developed specifically for the purposes of supporting extremely large, reactive and meticulously detailed environments. With such an ambitious goal in mind, it has been designed according to the central tenants of speed and efficiency.

As well as providing the obligatory physics, graphics, networking and artificial intelligence functionality necessary to any platform game engine, The Concussion Engine makes possible fully destructible and visually mutable environments over hundreds of miles in length and hundreds of stories high, dynamic, real-time seasonal weather simulation and day/night cycling and a wide range of GPU enhanced shader effects that push the boundaries of what was once thought possible in a 2D game.

Hive Mind - Hive Mind is an omniscient distributed artificial intelligence that engineers the player's experience by manipulating nearly every aspect of the game. Designed to instill a combination of terror and wonder, Hive Mind silently, efficiently and without feeling plots the evolution of Cyborg War's persistent and player-driven story across servers, battlefields and individual players' computers. Based around the philosophy that everything affects everything, Hive Mind is designed to take into consideration the smallest details of an individual player's experience and the grand evolution of global warfare.

From a designer's point of view, Hive Mind is essentially an evolution of the idea of procedural generation. While procedural generation typically refers to content that is generated at particular intervals such as the beginning of a game level, Hive Mind procedural generates game content real time. Using an efficient seeding and mutation-aware system as its memory model, Hive Mind can provide unfathomably large amounts of extremely varied content on a perpetual basis while utilizing a considerably small memory footprint.

Although the full possibilities are yet to be explored, Hive Mind is capable of providing a reactive, real-time soundtrack, the generation of effectively infinitely sized maps, the initialization and evolution of gripping and suspenseful narratives utilizing thousands of participants, an all-around, stalking persona and a curiously familiar metaphor for the Cyborg War setting.

DESIGNER'S NOTES
I have been working on Cyborg War in it's current iteration for slightly more than a year now. When I began working on this project, I set myself a projected release date of 2013, or four years of dedicated full-time work. Now a quarter through that development time, I have to say that I believe it was an accurate estimation. Having had more than a decade to refine my skills in the development of graphics and audio, I am still not a weathered and experienced programmer. However, I have already reached the stage where I feel confident that I can effectively and efficiently program anything I set my mind too, even it requires doing some research.

A notable game design community socialite once said of me that I am, "notorious for starting awesome projects and never finishing them." He might be right about that and I can understand that the prospect of this project being finished might seem dim. However, the sheer awesomeness in my point of view of this project makes me feel more than confident that it will be completed, polished and all. I have started a lot of awesome projects in the past, but in retrospect, I never finished them because they just weren't awesome enough to justify investing the time in. Judging by my work habits over the past year, I still have plenty to invest in and from and even the repercussions of attempting to support an unemployed mommywife and a month-old baby boy named Thor on the wages of a part time job have not stopped me from persisting to dedicate a very large amount of my time to my most ambitious project yet.

For your persistence in reading a giant wall of text, here is a sample from the Cyborg War soundtrack for your listening pleasure. This is a completely human-written song, so don't pretend that computers could ever make music that sounds this good. Computers don't have the ability to experience in the way that a human does, which makes their creative abilities inferior to ours, if not simply fakery, or something.

Haha, whatever. I actually completely disagree with all of those insinuations. A great deal of my inspiration in this project stems from my faith in the notion that computer-generated (some would say imposter) creative expression will one day supercede the abilities of the human spirit. I think this inspiration shines through in both the technical and thematic aspects of Cyborg War and I do enjoy toying with the idea of one day relegating human creativity and expression to its true, atomic, automatic linearity.

Heil Hitler!

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 06:13:25 AM »

tl;dr: It's hard to be a jerk on purpose, I'm making an online multiplayer platform game, all I'm going to show so far is a teaser website and a soundtrack.

hi
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 08:46:12 AM »

By the way, this board is for finished games.  If you're just looking to talk about your game in progress the DevLog board is probably more what you're looking for.  (Or Feedback once you get a demo going)

hi
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 09:05:04 AM »

yeah why you only show a logo, a beard, a lot of screens and a babby
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 12:27:57 PM »

why do you uglify your post with this Nazi salute? exploitation of this is so boring and a bit too over the top than guys like from laibach would do it :/
all over the world there are guys who take the meaning of it serious - using this salute will only make it seem that the whole holocaust nazi thing is dark and cool for the ones who want to be hardcore - tongue-in-cheek glorification will make it even harder for the kids to distinguish between postapocalyptic industrial coolness and neonazi propaganda.

that said i love soldat greetings to your genius friend.
good luck with your game - i like the musik.
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 01:06:28 PM »

Although you sound like a total misanthrope, jerk and elitist, this game might turn out to be a huge success. After all, human relationship skills have little to do with artistic skill and misanthropy usually even goes in pair with determination, which you seem to have plenty of Wink
Do you plan on charging money for the game? If not, then I strongly recommend releasing early builds in the 'feedback' forum, you don't have to take the feedback into account, but every once in a while you will encounter a comment that will (directly or indirectly) help you improve the game.
I wish you good luck and will surely check out your game when it comes out, your promises are... promising.
And of course, this isn't the appropriate forum for this kind of posts, as many already mentioned.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 02:31:27 PM »

He says that stuff to get a reaction, and it worked. You guys are too easy.
Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 02:39:04 PM »

He says that stuff to get a reaction, and it worked. You guys are too easy.

I think he says that stuff because he's too self-absorbed to realize people don't give a shit about all this background behind a game in development Tongue

sigfarter
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 02:50:15 PM »

you sound like a total misanthrope, jerk and elitist

Pretty much. Aside from working my nightshift gas station job I never leave my house and have absolutely no friends. This isn't because I'm a jerk but because I do not like people, and that is why I am a jerk.

I think he says that stuff because he's too self-absorbed to realize people don't give a shit about all this background behind a game in development Tongue

Honestly, I don't have anyone I can vent any of this stuff to aside from my wife. I wouldn't call myself any more self-absorbed than anyone else but I do have a tendency to be open with complete strangers because I don't particularly care about their judgements.
Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 03:19:13 PM »

Then I hope you feel vented, I actually read almost all of it, the mention of Michal was of particular interest because he is my fellow countryman and I didn't even know he was developing new stuff.
But you haven't answered my question about the release model for the game, will it be free of charge?

Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 03:33:35 PM »

Pretty much. Aside from working my nightshift gas station job I never leave my house and have absolutely no friends. This isn't because I'm a jerk but because I do not like people, and that is why I am a jerk.

I'm sorry to hear that.  Well I thought it was an interesting read.  It was a bit long but I think artist's stories are what make indie games so interesting.  Thanks for posting it up Sigvatr Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right I look forward to your updates.
Also, congrats on being a Daddy! Cute Kid.

sigfarter
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 04:27:14 PM »

But you haven't answered my question about the release model for the game, will it be free of charge?

It will be a very lenient shareware model where the game comes free of charge for all users. You will be able to register for a fee and this allows you some mostly trivial things like having no limit places on the number of characters you can create, creating factions in the game universe and so forth. I'm sure only die hard fans will register, but aside from that the game remains the same for everyone.

I am interested in selling merchandise on the side, such as posters, books, music etc...
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 07:23:51 PM »

you sound like a total misanthrope, jerk and elitist

Maybe if you tried making friends, and eventually got some friends, there would be people you like.
Which I guess is sort of why you're making this thread, lol.

hi
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 09:04:25 PM »

game sounds cool, looking forward to it. muslim massacre was a more well-made game than people give it credit for. and sometimes the best stuff is made by people who don't like people. kafka and edgar allen poe and nietzsche didn't really like people either.

Paint by Numbers
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 09:31:42 PM »

Hey, you're that guy who did the best banme thread over on SA anyone has ever seen. Nice job on that one, bro. Hand Thumbs Up LeftSmileyHand Thumbs Up Right

I'm all eager for your game. Your photos of you with a baby and you at some kind of supercomputer alone are making this look pretty cool.
increpare
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 12:05:41 AM »

Welcome back to the forums.  I don't have too much to comment on based on what you've already said, however I hope you'll continue to post updates if you find it beneficial to do so - I'm interested in keeping up with this (I would be interested in hearing how things go), and hope your development keeps up apace.

Are there any particular parts of the game you're working on right now?

Combined with a real-time, procedurally generated soundtrack
For your persistence in reading a giant wall of text, here is a sample from the Cyborg War soundtrack for your listening pleasure. This is a completely human-written song, so don't pretend that computers could ever make music that sounds this good.
It's a musical draft of what you want the in-game soundtrack to be like when you get around to procedural generation of it?
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 12:38:05 AM »

I enjoyed reading your story, thank you for posting it. I'm happy that you taught yourself to program- that must be so liberating. I'm all for people acquiring new skills so that they can better do solo development.

This sounds like a really interesting project, I look forward to seeing your progress.
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 09:04:28 PM »

Yeah, I don't think there is much shock value in Neo Nazism anymore. Probably because it's just so over done and it's been so many years since it all happened. History just has that effect on diluting it's self. If you don't experience it first hand it's not that real for you. Also to be realistically shocking you probably need to believe in what you are actually doing to shock people, else it's pretty much like acting like it's Halloween all day, everyday.

That or I've just seen enough stuff on the internet that nothing really shocks me anymore... :/

Congrats on being a dad by the way, Sigvatr.

I look forward to seeing your game come out. Hopefully it has some very nifty chat features to chat along with up to 64 people.

Also you can't hate us because we <3 you.  Kiss

*insert dead baby joke here for shock value*.
Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

gnat
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2010, 03:32:12 AM »

Holy damn, this is a dream game.

All I can ask is keep the interest flowing with dev updates and release early/often when you are able!

LAN Party List - The definitive LAN party list. Also Game Jams, etc.
GitHub
gnat
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2010, 10:40:42 AM »

UPDATES PLOX.   Hand JoystickCrazyHand Joystick

LAN Party List - The definitive LAN party list. Also Game Jams, etc.
GitHub
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic