Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411520 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 03:18:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallUp
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Up  (Read 1799 times)
Nix
Up
« on: September 30, 2010, 12:15:49 PM »

http://www.oceanbreezegames.com/index.php?PAGE=onlinegame&g=Up&id=32

Woo, my game "Up" finally made its way through FGL onto a sponsor's site. It took well over a month. If you go into FGL without patience, you'll soon learn some or leave unhappy.

Anyway, this wasn't a super-dream-game of mine or anything. More something for me to test the waters of Flash development and monetization.

It's funny, every developer I talked to was like, "Woah, you can make sooo much money off of that!" and every sponsor was like, "Ooh... That's an original idea... Giving you money would be risky."

Ah well, my next game (which I'm collaborating on. Yay for artists with skills!) will be much less "unsafe." We'll see how that goes.
idoru
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 05:02:14 PM »

Interesting concept. My only criticism is that the controls are a bit awkward because of the angle of the graphics (i.e. pressing up to move northeast doesn't feel right). I got to 1725 points after a few plays and can see this being somewhat addictive.
tirso
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 11:08:56 AM »

I agree: It's a great idea, but I think that it could have been implemented better. The controls are not very intuitive. Also, the pixel graphics and the perspective do not help to know where the blocks are going to fall.

Perhaps you can develop an improved version that fixes these problems... I think It could be really addictive!

Tiny Thief lead programmer | Working on indie games in my spare time: pncil
Nix
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 11:49:53 AM »

Perhaps you can develop an improved version that fixes these problems... I think It could be really addictive!

I certainly understand the things that aren't so great about it, but have absolutely no desire to do anything else with this game. After I got it to the point it is now, I basically sighed of relief that it was at a point where I could possibly scrape a few dollars from it on FGL. I did not have fun making this. As I said, this game was the result of me testing the waters of Flash game dev, not me making a game I really wanted to make. That's what it came down to. I just didn't want to spend the time making it more enjoyable because I wasn't having any fun making it.
iffi
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 06:43:13 PM »

I like the concept, but sometimes it's hard to see where you're going because other blocks block your view. In other words, visibility is an issue at times.
supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 01:18:39 AM »

First of all, congratulations on finishing your game... it must feel good to have it completed, especially considering you didn't really enjoy working on it... hopefully you're next game will be more fun to work on ^_^  As for the gameplay, I think I share some of the sentiments of the other posters... although I think the concept is pretty interesting and can grow addicting over time, I did experience some frustration with the controls (though this is a common problem with isometric perspective). 

Laura Shigihara | Composer and Game Designer
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 03:43:11 AM »

I found the game interesting as well, but the whole "roll over blocks to change their color thing" became less of the primary gameplay to me after a few minutes. I then just rolled around to avoid the falling blocks, automatically changing the color of blocks as I rolled around (and also automatically picking up the points).

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 05:09:04 AM »

I must say this is a great game idea. It becomes kinda boring after a while (maybe the difficulty could ramp up more quickly), and it could be more apparent where the blocks are falling, but I like the idea and the execution. A nice little game.

ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 06:10:08 AM »

I found the game interesting as well, but the whole "roll over blocks to change their color thing" became less of the primary gameplay to me after a few minutes. I then just rolled around to avoid the falling blocks, automatically changing the color of blocks as I rolled around (and also automatically picking up the points).

I had about the same experience. It's easy to get a highscore as long as you focus on dodging.

Good luck with your next game.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
Nix
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 06:47:18 AM »

Good luck with your next game.

Thanks. I've decided that I'm not a huge fan of making short, bite-sized games like this. My next project is looking to be much large and more content-based than "unique-gameplay" based.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic