Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411722 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58455 Members - Latest Member: Sergei

May 22, 2024, 06:22:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallDespair: a short Flash Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Despair: a short Flash Game  (Read 1363 times)
Genkido
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2010, 03:08:10 PM »

Hi!!

I made a short flash game for a competition here in Argentina- while the game is short, since it was my first go at AS and because of university and my day job, I wasn't able to finish it on time.

It's the first game I publish on the internet(s). Here's the Kongregate link: http://www.kongregate.com/games/Genkido/despair

All constructive criticism is hugely welcomed!! :D
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 10:29:36 PM »

story wise it was kinda cool though it wasnt too clear what happened at the end

game wise it was a bit too simple, it was just "get all items". theres no puzzle of any kind!!

atmosphere was nice though. but yeah as a player i felt i did very little! i wouldve liked to be challenged somehow.
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 11:49:16 PM »

Pretty solid for a first (published) game. I really like the style of the building, especially the fade in/out effect for changing rooms. Smiley

It's a bit irritating and inconsistent that the fire extinguisher is the only item which the player character doesn't immediately stick in his pants.

Puzzles made sense, though they were all pretty much standard lock+key or a physical equivalent.

I felt the game dragged on a bit too long to sustain the dramatic tension. Five to ten minutes of solid screaming doesn't tell me she's in immediate danger (which actually makes sense considering the ending, but is still a bit wonky from a player motivation perspective).

story wise it was kinda cool though it wasnt too clear what happened at the end
I think that opening the door triggered a mechanism which shot the victim. Pulling a rope attached to the gun's trigger or something.

The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 12:18:47 AM »

yeah ok that makes sense but it shouldve been more obvious
increpare
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 04:39:12 AM »

I got a bit tired of ... backtracking, and quit after wandering around after the fire looking for something to put it out.

I like the visual style you have going on.
Genkido
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 11:30:54 AM »

Thanks a lot people! I'm glad you liked it Smiley Means a lot to me.

Actually this was supposed to fit in one single screen... It was going to be a huge a** flash window, but when I didn't make the deadline, since I had no such a restriction, I decided to go for a smaller camera since I found it to be more interesting.

On the ending issue. I had something in mind... However when my friends played it, they all came up with different explanations, and I kind of like it that way. Was it a trap? Is the killer behind the door? Was this just a setup by himself to kill another girl?

I do agree on the items being just lying on the floor, but if I had made cabinets for them all, development would have dragged on way further.

Again, thanks a lot for all the replies :D
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 12:02:48 PM by Genkido » Logged
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 12:30:46 PM »

I found it enjoyable up to a point, although backtracking and the refusal to pick up the objects until they were needed stopped me fully getting invloved.  I'd like to see more done with this framework though, it's a nice simplification of point'n'click mechanics.  Ending was great too.  I read it as you realising you were the killer.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic