Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411539 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58439 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 03:31:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWorld's First MMO RPG RTS FPS/TPS
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: World's First MMO RPG RTS FPS/TPS  (Read 31389 times)
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2007, 10:00:54 AM »

great, hopefully you'll share your progress with us

thellis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2007, 01:45:44 AM »

Yes, yes I will continue to arbitrarily bump this thread when we make some progress (speaking of which, we got another coder :D)

Dont worry, I will not just post stuff like "we got a new coder" lol... I will post for major things such as tech demo releases etc Smiley
bweezl
Level 0

man the torpedos

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2007, 05:24:55 AM »

I laughed all the way from page 1-5. Missed everything in between.

So is Spo...er.. this project for real?
Albert Lai
TIGSource Editor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2007, 01:32:39 PM »

Topics like these remind me to check the forums more often.  :D
thellis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2007, 04:50:33 AM »

if you would read all the pages, all would be explained. you would also realise why people have stopped posting stupid stuff like "is this serious etc" Wink
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2007, 06:49:48 AM »

you would also realise why people have stopped posting stupid stuff like "is this serious etc" Wink

Because we've established that without any doubt, it isn't. Wink

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2007, 08:07:08 AM »

you would also realise why people have stopped posting stupid stuff like "is this serious etc" Wink

Because we've established that without any doubt, it isn't. Wink

Ouch!

There you go. You ca now make game development your revenge-quest, just like me.

thellis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2007, 05:08:12 PM »

:)oh don't worry, i plan to and at the moment its looking like a pretty damn good quest that gives a lot of xp Tongue
torncanvas
Level 0

Go Team Venture!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2007, 09:43:58 PM »

Wow.  I couldn't have found this thread at a better time.  I'm going to have to say that although these guys are a bit rough around the edges, they are very wise.  I just left working full-time on a project pretty similar to the title of this thread in that it was "let's combine every cool thing together and it will be even better."

It's just an FPS, but it's trying to be the FPS, with all this cinematic greatness and a bunch of different environments.  Oh, and a really small team with a bunch of management on top.  I can tell you from experience in sweating out the last 2 years of my life that you are going down a very dangerous road.  Those of us in the trenches have made a lot of effort in scaling things down, and the project is still incredibly ambitious.

As time went on, I realized more and more that the pain wasn't worth it.  So I left what, from the surface, looks like a very lucrative opportunity to pursue exactly the type of thing these guys are talking about - short, achievable projects.

I can't recommend enough that you really take to heart what these guys are saying.  To give you an example, the group who made the indie student game Cloud had a team size of roughly 6-8 if I remember correctly.  And didn't they spend like 8 or 9 months making that game?  Cloud has an extremely small scope - one character, one environment, and I think just 4 "levels."  However, despite those meager statistics, the game has a great concept and feel to it.  Oh, and I should mention the enormous amount of glory those guys are getting because of it and fl0w.  fl0w for PS3 is another good example.  The team size was - at one point at least - a good 25 to 30 people.  And the original guess for the dev time was just a few months - I think in the end it was like 7 or 8 months, right?  Those who've played the game say it takes just a couple hours to get through the game.  Think about that!

My point is that short and sweet is definitely the way to go.  If you're looking for glory, take your team of 10 and spend 9 months on a 4 month project.  Submit your incredibly polished game to the festivals and then you'll get your praise.

Intuition Games
@torncanvas on twitter
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2007, 12:19:13 AM »

The romantic ideal of TIGSource as a group of rogue game developers starting pub fights, GDC riots and making videogames about strange bald men with large software collections is a reality!

I like to think of TIGSource as the Rousseau of independant gaming, but it's mostly because of the 'amour de soi,' or 'self love.'

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2007, 12:19:38 AM »

Well, and the rampant fetishization of pirates.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2007, 12:29:43 PM »

Man, even though the Byronic Hero is a staple of video games everywhere, nothing kills a thread like jokes about the Romantic movement.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2007, 02:18:31 PM »

what

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2007, 05:23:07 PM »

Look, when you drop a reference to French societal movements you open certain doors in conversation.

I just can't promise that I won't burst through those doors with double entendres blazing.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2007, 07:38:47 AM »

If we're going to get into the philosophes, I like to think of myself as the Diderot of independent gaming. Encyclopedic, I want to make at least one game in every genre.

PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2007, 10:17:47 AM »

It's just an FPS, but it's trying to be the FPS, with all this cinematic greatness and a bunch of different environments.

Yeah, I love the mindset.  Thinking that, because I want to:

A. I'm going to make the next big FPS, though I've never worked on a game.
B. I'm a cinematic genius, though I have no camera or film experience.
C. Content is free and infinite.

:D

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
torncanvas
Level 0

Go Team Venture!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2007, 02:50:46 PM »

Yeah, I don't want to bad-mouth the people who thought up the idea, but those 3 points are valid here.  There's some experience, but certainly no AAA experience.  For us leading the development, this is our first commercial game project.  Why do we seem so much wiser, then?  Sometimes I still don't get it...

At least we have a hired "expert" to back us up.  I can't thank our consultant enough for agreeing with us and steering the project in the right direction.  I consider those on this forum to be equally wise.  Take heart thellis!

In defense of thellis, though, there is something to be said for being in over your head.  I suppose having money involved made it more serious, but we did learn a lot by being thrown into an enormous project.  The project isn't over, though, and I consider the knowledge gained from finishing a small project more valuable than the knowledge gained from half-finishing a huge one.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 03:02:55 PM by torncanvas » Logged

Intuition Games
@torncanvas on twitter
thellis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2007, 02:23:11 AM »

Well, I do enjoy getting posts about... well, anything really and yes- I agree that we were thinking remarkably big and we are certainly scaling down signifficantly, although in what ways I'm not able to say yet because they havn't been finalised, you are more than welcome to check out the forums if you'd like to see...

Basically, we have removed the FPS and shortened the MMO to just MO (Multiplayer Online Tongue). We will be starting tech demos hopefully some time in May, which include our network engine (the p2p concept), our "cannon fire" (think AOE3), water, weather, sun stages (including shadow)...

That is what's going to happen asap... Appart from that, we've started concepting some stuff...

I hope that I enabled hotlinking lol
Also, this is not ALL that we have- http://gallery.exordiumonline.com/

Kornel Kisielewicz
The Black Knight
Level 1

Madman for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2007, 09:39:42 AM »

"start small, work your way slowly to the top" -- believe me, that's the best piece of advice you'll get.

At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (@epyoncf)
ChaosForge -- DoomRL and AliensRL
Jupiter Hell -- DoomRL spiritual successor!
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2007, 10:12:43 AM »

"start small, work your way slowly to the top"

Quoted for innuendo.

OMG I'M SO MATURE

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic