Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411539 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58439 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 07:15:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesIGF 2008 is Live
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: IGF 2008 is Live  (Read 9669 times)
Steve Swink
Swank
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2007, 02:26:00 PM »

I am drunk and alone right now. Celebrating submitting our demo to see if we can get greenlit. On my own.

*Manhugs for Bez*

Just chiming in, since I tend to over-lurk and under-post...needless to say we're over the moon about being involved in IGF.  Honestly, it's the only game competition I've ever considered meaningful.  Let me just say this: if you're on the fence about entering, please do! Don't assume your game has 'no chance'  because it's 'not finished' or is 'not as good as other games you know will be entered.'  If you put your heart into it, please enter it. It's probably better, more complete, and more awesome than you realize. Personal projects are like that.

you just want our 95 bucks!

Ha ha...well, Flashbang has submitted, what, 10 games over the years? 12? Something like that.  With two finalists and no winners, I can honestly say the potential benefits offset the cost.  We probably would not still be around making games if we hadn't entered IGF all those times.  The publicity from being associated with the festival and the nice, firm deadline are worth $95 in my opinion.  I think it was Alec who pointed out that that's like foregoing two game purchases.   

Really, though, I just want to see more rad games submitted.  I totally have an excuse to play all the games this year. It's going to be awesome.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 02:27:39 PM by Steve Swink » Logged

Steve Swink
Game Designer, Enemy Airship
Content Director, IGF
sswink (at) enemyairship(dot) com
PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2007, 03:59:40 PM »

Yeah, the IGF is seriously one of the best PR moves you can do in our "industry".  Even if your game isn't the most awesome of awesome, at least making it in to the finalist bracket will be huge for you.

And remember kids, sound is an avenue that few developers give the attention it deserves.  Smiley

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2007, 04:48:29 PM »

Might enter, might not.

Tim seems to think that Immortal Defense has a chance of becoming a finalist, but I have my doubts -- it's good, but I don't think it's up to the level of last year's finalists. And my next game won't be done before the deadline.

Also, traditionally, story-centric games haven't done well in that contest (although Aquaria might be an exception, it seems fairly story-centric from the trailer).

Still, 95$ isn't that much to throw away in exchange for some feedback from the judges, although I hear that's a mixed bag, sometimes you get no feedback at all, sometimes detailed feedback, depending on the quality of the judge.

PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2007, 05:00:44 PM »

Yeah, I have to admit my feedback wasn't worth the $95.  Praise, while I love it, I can get that without spending money.  Wink

I put my infamous game out as freeware back in 2003, and it got picked up everywhere but North America.  So at least in 2006, I got noticed in my own market.

But man, I'm looking forward to being finished with it, remake and all.  Smiley

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2007, 06:24:05 AM »

well, myself and my associate have decided to give this a shot as neither of us feels like waiting a year and a half for the next one.
we're putting all other projects (games or not) on hold to work on nothing but the game, as close to full time as out dayjobs and schools will allow.
that leaves us 90-something days to ship something shinny.

its gonna be brutal.

ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2007, 07:36:17 AM »

I eagerly await your midnight rants driven by Pixie Stix, caffeine-fuelled paranoia and permanent stubble.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2007, 07:52:36 AM »

My impression is that you don't actually have to ship a game to enter it (look at Braid or Aquaria). Though I always find it annoying when I see an interesting game in there that isn't out yet.

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2007, 09:05:48 AM »

well, yeah, thats the plan.
i just want to ship an "FPP", or "vertical slice" of the game.
the entire game is planned to have 4 worlds, whatever we send to IGF will only have 1. so only 1 art theme, and only a fraction of all the planned game mechanics.
but we want to make that slice as shinny as we can, and as close to final quality as we can.
itll be a small slice but we want it to be high quality.
once thats shipped, we'll just keep working on the rest.
my understanding is that you only need 1 working level.
we'll have a few.
or plan to anyway.

and yes, there will be half-insane 3am rants.
many.

sega
Genesis
Level 2

I superdig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2007, 10:11:29 AM »

my understanding is that you only need 1 working level.

I could be wrong, but I think that USED to be the criteria.  I believe they ask for something near to fully finished now.  I have a feeling they'd bend the rules for something exceptional, but as far as I know, on paper, they require something near a full game.  Please, someone tell me I'm wrong if I am.

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2007, 11:06:44 AM »

from the restriction/eligibility of the IGF 08 site:

State of Development: All Entered Games must be in a "beta" state or better (i.e., Entered Games must be feature-complete). At least one (1) level of each Entered Game must be complete and fully playable.

so...yes?
a demo, basicly?

sega
Genesis
Level 2

I superdig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2007, 11:13:01 AM »

Ah you're right.  I only remembered the "Entered Games must be feature-complete" part, and I guess my mind recorded it as "content-complete".  Sorry Smiley.

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2007, 11:22:12 AM »

you scared me, there.
i mean, braid won, and its still not done.
amirite?
amirite?

sega
Genesis
Level 2

I superdig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2007, 11:24:23 AM »

Yep!  Someone told me a bit back that things had changed, and I took it at face value.  But I guess it hasn't!  Good luck.

Steve Swink
Swank
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2007, 12:53:25 PM »

from the restriction/eligibility of the IGF 08 site:

State of Development: All Entered Games must be in a "beta" state or better (i.e., Entered Games must be feature-complete). At least one (1) level of each Entered Game must be complete and fully playable.

so...yes?
a demo, basicly?

The gist is that it's not a requirement that your game be done, only playable (by the IGF judges.)  "Feature complete" is meant to reinforce the fact that judges will be judging what's playable, not ideas and concepts.

Steve Swink
Game Designer, Enemy Airship
Content Director, IGF
sswink (at) enemyairship(dot) com
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2007, 12:56:06 PM »

ah, those judges, so smart, so sexy.

Musenik
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2007, 08:42:48 PM »

I've been curious about how the initial round of judging is organized. Are the submissions handed out randomly to judges? Do judges get to pick the game they judge? Are the judges categorized and then given games in those categories?

Inquiring minds...

sega
Genesis
Level 2

I superdig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2007, 09:29:17 PM »

Well, not all judges get to see all games, but they do make sure multiple judges see a particular game (an even amount of judges per game).  For instance, games A, B, and C go to judge 1, games B, C, and D go to judge 2, and so on.  Then there are superjudges that see every single game.  This way, there are judges that get to spend more quality time with each title, and judges that get an overview of everything submitted.

Matthew
Rapture
Administrator
Level 3

Milling About

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2007, 01:31:08 PM »

That's the general idea--there were 141 games entered last year, so the majority of judges will obviously not be playing every game.  There will be a few "super judges" that will play every game (and we will play all of the games ourselves).  We will be overlapping the games/judges as sega mentioned, so a game won't be judged in complete isolation from its peers.

Judges have been allowed to voluntarily score more games than their assigned batch, too.  We'll likely keep that policy as we go into the judging phase this year.

Matthew Wegner
Currently: Aztez
Founder, Flashbang Studios
Partner, Indie Fund
Editor, Fun-Motion
Co-Chair, IGF
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic