Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411641 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 01:19:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesBlast Works - Is Kenta Cho Getting Paid?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Blast Works - Is Kenta Cho Getting Paid?  (Read 8288 times)
Ryan
Level 1

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2007, 08:35:41 AM »

Erm...

http://www.destructoid.com/geometric-shooter-blast-works-coming-to-the-wii-33812.phtml

Look at them screenshots. Looks like Kenta Cho is coming to the Wii!
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 08:43:26 AM »

what a fucking shitty name.

Oddbob
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 08:57:51 AM »

:D

Gotta agree, it is a shit name. But the thought of Tumiki Fighters on the Wii (providing Majesco don't fuck it) is turning me on.

Gunroar! next thanks.
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 09:01:38 AM »

My theory: Kenta Cho is not getting a single red penny from this. Majesco are shady as hell.

ChrisFranklin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 10:21:15 AM »

I have a hard time believing that Kenta Cho isn't getting any money from this.  This industry might spend a lot of time and money copying each other's games, but never pixel-for-pixel like this.  Plus, Kenta Cho is too popular.  Too many people know who he is.  This isn't some hard-to-find gem hidden on an abandoned Geocities page that a young designer posted ten years ago and subsequently forgot about; it's a relatively recent addition to Cho's continuing library of games that just about any shmup fan with an internet connection knows about.
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 10:25:19 AM »

but why change the naaame?
tumiki not marketable enough?
how about katamary damacy? was that marketable enought?
what if they called it RollerBall X: roll and destroy?

sega
Genesis
Level 2

I superdig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 11:23:50 AM »

but why change the naaame?
tumiki not marketable enough?

"Is this even a videogame?!  Why is this moon language on my box!?"

how about katamary damacy? was that marketable enought?

I guess it's the fact that Katamari Damacy's title is just made up words, and the fact that it's filled to the brim with Japanese music they couldn't bother to replace with licensed tracks from Good Charlotte, and the game by its very nature is "wacky".  They must have just given up, slapped a "$49.99 $19.99" sticker on the box, mailed it out to stores, and sighed.

Maybe they feel that they have a chance at "localizing" Tumiki Fighters.

ptoing
Pixelhead
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 11:34:25 AM »

katamari damacy are not made up words.

damacy is a misspelling of damashi tho.

katamari means lump, mass, bundle, clump, clod, cluster.
damashi means soul or spirit.

and tumiki (or tsumiki as it should be pronounced) means toyblock.

Some of the replies to that announcement make me want to stab people.

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 01:39:17 PM »

Well, it is destructoid. If the commentary wasn't as retarded as the blog, it wouldn't be right.  :D

But yeah, I've said it all ove rthe internet and I'll say it again here, KC probably isn't getting paid but AFAIK (and I haven't checked yet) his games are up for grabs for anyone who wants to extend them. Doesn't make it right:) And jonathan mak is right - the added graphical effects are shitty. Cry

sega
Genesis
Level 2

I superdig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 03:32:09 PM »

katamari damacy are not made up words.

Hahah I should have thought for ONE second before saying that.  That's all it would have taken.  But someone a long time ago, before the game came out, said it was made up, based on "Damacy", and I filed it away without giving it a second thought.  I feel dumb Smiley.  No more "oh man I'm late for work but one post before I go" posts for me.  I never think those through.

But yeah, I've said it all ove rthe internet and I'll say it again here, KC probably isn't getting paid but AFAIK (and I haven't checked yet) his games are up for grabs for anyone who wants to extend them. Doesn't make it right:) And jonathan mak is right - the added graphical effects are shitty. Cry

It sucks that he allows it to be done for profit.  I'd think the kind of person who would extend those games for profit would add shitty stuff.  And it's not like Kenta Cho is just losing out on sales money.  People will play this game, find out he made a version, and think the redesigned elements are his too.  That's what people thought of Platypus, when the gameplay design was torn to shreds, and piled back together thoughtlessly.  It sucks when they fail to give the original designer/developer his deserved share of cash, but when they screw with his reputation on top of that... it's just a sad thing.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 04:29:52 PM »

I think they changed damashi to damacy for pronounciation reasons -- damashi spoken in Japanese sounds a lot like damacy, the "shi" sound often sounds much more like "si" -- though I'm no expert on this, basically just 2 years of college Japanese, and I got a D in the second semester of the second year, so don't take my word on it.

AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2007, 08:13:22 PM »

ROFL moon language...indeed.  Though I am probably going to be the big dissenter here and say I really can't imagine ever paying $20 for Tumiki Fighters under any condition.  It's fun and clever, don't get me wrong, but does it really have the depth and polish to warrant a $20 pricetag?  Someone already brought up KD, and I just picked up The Red Star new for $20 too.  They're in a market where $20 can buy you a sweet, full-featured, art-filled game.  I'd happily kick out $5 or $10 for his games, probably with Gunroar being the exception, cuz playing that on a real joystick on a TV would just be FABULOUS.  Oh, and torus troopers!  That thing is beautifully clever.  Plus that game has more style and what I would call real artwork than TF anyways.

So yeah.  I guess my point is why are they porting one of the games Kenta Cho made that ISN'T worth $20?  I too get a weird, Variant-like feeling from this arrangement, but I don't think Majesco is necessarily evil.  The Iridion games are quirky and neat, and Psychonauts was REALLY good.  And I'm pretty sure both shinen and .... weird floaty two-headed baby company both got paid just fine.

cup full of magic charisma
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2007, 08:24:36 PM »

Maybe they'll be adding more content to it in addition to the graphical changes?

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2007, 02:46:33 AM »

Yeah, the idea is you can build your own enemies and levels.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2007, 09:28:03 AM »

Still, there are pre-made missions too, so they could always add more of those. And not all content is that type of thing, maybe they'll add more different kinds of blocks to build things out of, more music, stuff like that.

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2007, 10:47:11 AM »

I've said it before, what Tumiki Fighters needs is a good dose of KATAMARI.

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2007, 04:08:23 PM »

dosent everything?

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2007, 11:11:25 PM »

Kiss

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2007, 07:43:18 AM »

i agree, though.
if the "enemy ships" were actually everyday objects like tables, food, TVs, toys etc etc, your ship would effectively become a sort of flying war-katamary. and would be awesome.

well, it'd be also awesomely derivative, but still.
i love a game that makes creative use of everyday objects.

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2007, 08:00:18 AM »

Yeah. I started work on a prototype of a two-stick microbiological shooter where you pick up the dead antibody cells of your enemies and absorb their weapons as your own, the idea was that you'd grow from virus-size through single cell and multi-cell up to clog arteries and take on vital organs eventually bursting free of the host. FOUL and yet AWESOME

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic