Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 02, 2024, 06:12:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDe Blob coming to wii
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: De Blob coming to wii  (Read 2662 times)
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« on: June 29, 2007, 10:18:34 AM »

IGF student showcase finalist De Blob is being ported to wii by THQ.

+1.

discuss.

sega
Genesis
Level 2

I superdig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 10:26:16 AM »

Wowza, nice for them!  I wonder if it's gonna be another "tilt the world so the ball will roll in that direction" game.  There was a time when I hated THQ, but first they picked up Drawn To Life, which seemed to have a lot of trouble getting a publisher to sign on (for some INSANE reason), and now this.  I wonder if the same producer was involved in taking De Blob on.  Someone in there has a decent eye.

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 10:30:27 AM »

it gives me hope.

there wasnt much to the game shown at IGF.
they better add a LOT.
maybe de blob woud be a nice fit for the wiiware?

sega
Genesis
Level 2

I superdig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 10:42:33 AM »

Oh yeah, I assume they'll add a lot.  I can't remember, did De Blob on PC have a point?  I just had fun coloring stuff.  I don't remember a mission or anything though.  It's been a while.

Like I implied before, there are several games where you tilt the world and move an object with gravity.  Super Monkey Ball was the first, then Kororinpa took a slightly different path, by focusing on the level itself more than the ball.  But Dewey's Adventure and Mercury Meltdown are taking it a lot further.  Dewey lets your blob change forms, with enemies/bosses, and puzzles.  Mercury Meltdown is entirely puzzle based, and deals with mixing colors, splitting your controlled object to do two things at once, etc...  De Blob is going to have to step up (if it even controls that way).

About it being WiiWare... I wonder what the limit in size on that is.  People are already running out of room on Wii, and you can't load games from the SD Card.  The unoptimized featureless De Blob was fairly big if I remember correctly.

Zaphos
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 06:51:32 PM »

Oh yeah, I assume they'll add a lot.  I can't remember, did De Blob on PC have a point?
It was just meant to be a 'toy' for people to play with at kiosks set up around some city -- it was promoting that city's effort to change their image.

It did have specific targets that you would have to hit with the correct color (or something like that -- it's been a while for me, too), but for the most part it was just fun to roll around in.
CosMind
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 03:01:33 PM »

About it being WiiWare... I wonder what the limit in size on that is.  People are already running out of room on Wii, and you can't load games from the SD Card.  The unoptimized featureless De Blob was fairly big if I remember correctly.

http://www.siliconera.com/2007/06/27/wii-ware-opens-the-door-for-indie-developers/
There is only 512 MB of internal memory on the Wii compared to the gigabytes of space for downloadable content on the Xbox 360 and PS3.

not very big, eh?
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic