Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411539 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58439 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 06:11:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesTexas Independent Games Conference
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Texas Independent Games Conference  (Read 4059 times)
larsiusprime
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: July 07, 2007, 01:19:34 PM »

Hey everybody!

I know I'm kind of a lurker on these forums, so I figure I'd better start posting on a regular basis. I'm an indie developer from Texas and I was wondering if anyone else was going to the Texas Indie Games Conference?

http://www.independentgameconference.com/

I was there last year and it was really, really cool. Conferences are a great place to learn a lot of stuff and make great contacts. And the price is right - it cost me only about a hundred bucks to go. Compare that to the several hundred for Austin Games Conference and however many thousands GDC is up to these days. I went to the Austin Games Conference last year, and it was a total letdown. If you weren't doing MMO's there was nothing there of interest.

There were some great talks (at last year's TIGC) from Greg Costikyan, Don Gillman, Warren Spector, and Steve Jackson. One of the other hilights was at the last day of the conference, where everyone busted out their demos and showed them off to everybody. It was pretty dang cool.

The TIGC has a great price and is totally worth it. If you live in the area, you should definitely go.

-Lars Doucet
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 01:21:49 PM by larsiusprime » Logged

Nostrils!
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 05:27:38 PM »

I live in New Jersey D:

Sounds fun though, give us a report on how it went!

larsiusprime
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 08:11:06 PM »

Yah, definitely. It's not until November. Apparently they've recently changed their name from "The Texas Independent Games Conference" to "The Independent Games Conference" to sound less provincial Tongue

http://www.independentgameconference.com/

So anyone else around here from Texas or the Southwest?
Failing that, any Scandinavians?

Either way, you guys are all really cool. I really admire all the stuff you guys do. It'd be really neat to see anyone who can make it at the con.

Rinkuhero - you made Immortal Defense, right? Curse you and all my staying up to 3 AM! (I kid, it was pretty great Tongue )

Nostrils!
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 08:37:54 PM »

Yep :D

That was one of the hardest parts of making that game, I kept taking time off to play it -- I'd go in to test some bug or something, and wound up playing a few levels instead, and forgot what I started it to do.

the_dannobot
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 10:09:07 AM »

Yeah, I'm in Austin.  Are you from around here?

Dannobot on Twitter
larsiusprime
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 11:07:47 AM »

I grew up bouncing between Conroe, Texas and Trondheim, Norway, where all my mom's family lives.

Right now I'm in grad school at Texas A&M down in College Station. You from Austin then I take it? Cool!

Nostrils!
CosMind
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 10:58:07 AM »

i live in austin, too.

i went to the conference last year, and will for surely be there again this year.
the_dannobot
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 02:28:13 PM »

Cool, do you go to the AIGD meetings?  I think they're being held like once a month now.

Dannobot on Twitter
CosMind
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 05:37:43 PM »

Cool, do you go to the AIGD meetings?  I think they're being held like once a month now.

nope, the meetings typically begin while i'm still at the studio Sad
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 11:53:07 AM »

LOL, I totally read this as Texas Instruments Games Conferance and was like "WTF? I know that people make games for those calculators but sheesh!".

Wish I was over there to join you, but sadly I'm not. My mate James is, but he doesn't do Indy Games. If only we'd swapped brains...

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 11:57:03 AM »

A TI calculator conference would be bad ass.  Grin

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 01:43:30 PM »

A TI calculator conference would be bad ass.  Grin
I'd attend, but in my heart I'd be yearning for the HP 49g+ and its mighty processor.

PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 02:06:03 PM »

Traitor!   :D

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic