Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411582 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 02:25:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsVoid Dust MMO
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Void Dust MMO  (Read 1538 times)
CrashTheuniversE
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2012, 02:17:22 AM »

VOID DUST MMO

Void Dust is an experiment about creating an online SciFi MMO using arcade games mechanics.

The gfx/sfx style is intentionally retro for the moment, but still not sure where I'll go from here.

The interesting thing for me is that I'm learning an entire new development environment as this is a browser game developed in JS, HTML5 and I'm developing the server code as well.

I would love to implement a billion features, but I'm highly time constrained, that's why I think a devlog is vital!
This will also help me track dev times and in the future to have an history of what was achieved.

I have a technical devblog as well for the guys curious about the inner cogs of the game, but this Devlog will be only about features and gameplay Smiley

If you want to help, see the game or comment, a version 0.0.1 is out.

For the technical devblog

JackMenhorn
Level 2

Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 06:36:34 AM »

Reminds me of Continuum-Subspace.  Which is a good thing.

Suggestion:  Remove the MMO part.  Make a good video game and get it released.

Sound Designer<br />www.jackmenhorn.com

Nova-111 OST: https://jackmenhorn.bandcamp.com/album/nova-111
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 06:43:30 AM »

Please make arrow keys an option... or mouse control. WASD in a browser with Find As You Type turned on means I'm not going to play it. Shrug
CrashTheuniversE
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 12:16:14 AM »

I finished working on a new collision system for projectiles!

I will follow with a technical article, but definitely moving to OOBB feels way better obviously than BoundingSphere!
Also a good exercise Tongue.

Just added energy to the ships, so that they don't die with a single shot Smiley.

Also I changed the scale of the game, removing an unnecessary scene wide scale that was slowing everything a lot. I love the new
size better, and the new speed adds a lot to the feeling of being in open space.

I decided I will add ammunition and weapon overheating / fire rate.

Also, inventory is on his way Smiley

--------------

@KomradeJack: Thank you Smiley I will keep the MMO part, as this is the goal of this exercise Smiley. I do games programming for a living. The goal of this project for me is to try at least 2 new worlds, that is large concurrent multiplayer systems, and browser games Smiley.
The exciting thing is about learning new things from programming languages, to new paradigms. The other thing is I can make Continuous Integration (this is what I have in place right now), to deploy new versions.

@Rek: Yes, you're right! I will allow eventually keyboard configuration, it's on the work already, and to be fair, command mappings is already there, I will need to enable some kind of UI, that's still a little bit low-priority, but I will get there
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 01:36:16 AM »

Still not working for me. I tried it on my home computer as well, still does not show anything but a black screen (Win XP, latest Firefox).

In Safari, the javascript console shows this:

Code:
15 Spaceship.js:316 INVALID_STATE_ERR: DOM Exception 11: An attempt was made to use an object that is not, or is no longer, usable.
312 WebSocketService.js:371 INVALID_STATE_ERR: DOM Exception 11: An attempt was made to use an object that is not, or is no longer, usable.
WebSocketService.js:385 INVALID_STATE_ERR: DOM Exception 11: An attempt was made to use an object that is not, or is no longer, usable.
>>1041<< WebSocketService.js:371 INVALID_STATE_ERR: DOM Exception 11: An attempt was made to use an object that is not, or is no longer, usable.

The last number goes up like crazy, something produces like a 100 errors per second. Hopefully this helps.

CrashTheuniversE
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 03:14:02 AM »

@Eigen still didn't push the latest version to production environment (they are on my local env not on remote server).

That's very cool thank you for the trace! I'll look into that, the strange thing is I get that as well, but it still works. The only clue I have right now is the WebSocket connection on Firefox. The Safari versions seems up and running though.

Do you definitely have support for WebSockets on both browsers?

I mean it should be... But I removed the check from the Modernizr for testing purposes right now.

This is really puzzling, I'll spend a little bit more time on that tonight, cheers!

Still not working for me. I tried it on my home computer as well, still does not show anything but a black screen (Win XP, latest Firefox).

In Safari, the javascript console shows this:

Code:
15 Spaceship.js:316 INVALID_STATE_ERR: DOM Exception 11: An attempt was made to use an object that is not, or is no longer, usable.
312 WebSocketService.js:371 INVALID_STATE_ERR: DOM Exception 11: An attempt was made to use an object that is not, or is no longer, usable.
WebSocketService.js:385 INVALID_STATE_ERR: DOM Exception 11: An attempt was made to use an object that is not, or is no longer, usable.
>>1041<< WebSocketService.js:371 INVALID_STATE_ERR: DOM Exception 11: An attempt was made to use an object that is not, or is no longer, usable.

The last number goes up like crazy, something produces like a 100 errors per second. Hopefully this helps.
CrashTheuniversE
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 03:01:31 PM »

A new version is up.

Especially interesting was introducing the OOBB for the collision with projectiles, which improved the feeling of shooting / hit a lot.

On top of that, I changed the scale of the game, and removed a nasty scene scaling which was probably slowing down the renderer.

I still have to find a reasonable solution to improve the propagation of projectiles through the server to clients, but I'm afraid this has little to do with my code and it is all related to the ping per message which EC2 provides, which yields on average 80ms / 110ms !!!

I'm investigating why, but I suspect I will have to pay for a small instance as opposed to a micro instance to see any boost.

Also static assets provider is not optimal, I will need an S3 bucket setup, the current process invokes a spin on the instance for the web app on Heroku, which is discouraged even by them.

Said that, let me know what you think and how it plays now Smiley

*crash*
CrashTheuniversE
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 05:26:06 AM »

Finished a prototypal registration system. It works now and the automailer also !

I fixed a couple of bugs in the entities probability function.

Crates for ammo should be working.

I'm not sure, but I may want to have no inhertia, (just accel / decel) and move to click to move, with target points.
This will change from more arcade to more "rpg" style, but will solve a billion problems, and allow a lot more users simultaneously.

I'll think about it, now I have to work on the next feature. Sectors.

As usual if you have feedback let me know.

P.S. You can shoot with the UP arrow key. No need to use the mouse Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic