Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411608 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58446 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 09, 2024, 01:28:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs□³
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: □³  (Read 11576 times)
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2016, 03:20:53 PM »

Cool, curious about the technical details of the gyro up, if you're willing to share! But I understand if you'd rather focus on the game Smiley

TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2016, 08:18:37 AM »

Cool, curious about the technical details of the gyro up, if you're willing to share! But I understand if you'd rather focus on the game Smiley
I will probably have to write an article about it at some point. Basically, they work like a gyroscope, hence the name.

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2016, 10:04:06 PM »

the tile renderer was acting all buggy. but only on two sides of the cube. i was dreading having to debug this, but it had to be done.

i look around the code where all the UV maps for the surface tiles are generated. there's a bit of bit-shifty / OR-y code in there to determine which adjacent cells have walls, so the right tile is selected to conform to the shape of the adjacent walls.

guess what?

there's a couple of tables that define face-dependent bit-shifting behavior, and it so happens that only two of the faces have different behavior. i comment out these two lines and make these two faces bit-shift like all the other faces.

bug is fixed.

Facepalm

hacks come back to bite you in the ass.

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
lobstersteve
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2016, 12:28:41 PM »

cool  Gentleman
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2016, 06:11:37 AM »

Developer & fans, meet Euclidean Lands https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=57103.20;topicseen

TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2016, 06:54:24 PM »

it's interesting all the things that you can do with just a simple cube Wink

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2016, 06:58:00 PM »

Looking really cool!

TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2016, 07:06:40 PM »

been looking around town lately for some paying work to pay the bills, as this is probably not quite ready for EA just yet.. [the one downside to living in seattle is those bills can get pretty hefty]

still working on this, tho.

did a bunch of playtesting / feedback sessions last week with some local devs and got some pretty good feedback on the game. took a whole bunch of notes. will try to figure something out for most, if not all of what i got.

working on a craftable weapons / ammo system now, because i told a few people that that's something i want to add to this, and have yet to make good on that. so i'm doing that now. some of the feedback from last week was about how the firing/aiming worked. y'know - kind of a key part of a shooter game.. so, if i'm going to revamp how the weapons work, might as well get that craftability thing in there while i'm at it..

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2016, 07:07:07 PM »

Looking really cool!
Thanks, man!

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2016, 09:18:19 PM »

Fixed a couple of bugs today with the shooting.

The first one was really hairy and was really with the core mechanic of what I'm calling "cornering" now (even though it's really when things go over the edges of the cube. "cornering" just sounds a little cooler i/g). i was seriously a little despondent about this and having thoughts of trashing the whole project because of it Screamy. fortunately, it turned out to just be a bunch of hacky crap left over from an earlier iteration, and I was able to debug through it, find the bits of shitty code that was causing it, and fix that up without having to re-architect anything  Smiley

second bug was shots getting fired through the walls. a wave beam type thing might be cool as a weapon upgrade, tho. this was clearly a bug that needed to be fixed.

also removed some of the pooling i was doing on shot entities, as it appeared to be recycling shots that were still live. i might have a talk with the developer of the pooling system i was using about it, but definitely noticed an improvement when i switched it back to instanced shots from pooled shots. premature optimization is the root of all evil.

added the robotron-style firing back, because that was really easy to do, and people were complaining about imprecise aiming in the last playtest. ideally i'd add some kind of aim cursor a la hotline miami. that's probably a little more work than i've got energy for tonight. it is on the list, though.

also noticed that some of my core maths might actually be kinda wrong in spots..? there's been some odd bugginess lately and it's been driving me a little nuts with this project. some of it may just things that may have been latent for a while and not very noticeable because things were not moving over the edges very fast or very often. think i'm going to go through and prove them out on paper tomorrow and then record the proofs in the source comments for posterity.

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2016, 10:46:12 PM »

here is a gif i made of 2P splitscreen multiplayer, using only my two hands, because there wasn't anyone else around the workshop at 11pm on a saturday night.

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2016, 06:11:28 PM »

here is a gif i made of 2P splitscreen multiplayer, using only my two hands, because there wasn't anyone else around the workshop at 11pm on a saturday night.

Cool

high-priest.clppr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2016, 06:22:33 PM »

Looks awesome!

I might be crazy asking, but any future plans to add extra cubes/planes? Not sure if I can describe what I'm thinking of in my head but maybe you catch my drift
TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2017, 12:11:37 AM »

Looks awesome!

I might be crazy asking, but any future plans to add extra cubes/planes? Not sure if I can describe what I'm thinking of in my head but maybe you catch my drift

Like other worlds? other levels? That's already in there.

... well, it is and it isn't. the game definitely has all the code and everything for multiple worlds/levels and all, and it can procedurally generate mazeyness through all of them. the portals were a little wonky iirc. designed worlds would probably be a lot better but i think i'd need like at least a whole other person doing all that stuff and i haven't (and still don't have) really anything to actually hire anyone with just yet. working on that.

tbph it's actually been a bit since i've looked at this - i've been caught up with some freelance work (on a pretty cool project, actually, can't talk about it tho). also i came up with and was involved with this thing for global game jam and have been jamming on that on the weekends since then.

so, for now, effectively, this is on hold until that freelance work is finished. at the moment, there's a playable 4-player local splitscreen deathmatch. you know. eh. whatevs. nbd. idk if i ever got a good gif of that.. hm. guess i'll have to hit up the indies workshop for a playtest later this week..

anyway, not really sure what you were thinking, but probably yeah. just not anytime super-soon, the way my schedule is looking these days.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 12:26:22 AM by TomHunt » Logged

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic