Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 05:27:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesHell yeah, Lugaru for free!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Hell yeah, Lugaru for free!  (Read 10278 times)
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2008, 03:57:17 AM »

I think I might like the christmas spirit after all! Like the title says, everyone can get Lugaru for free until christmas. All it takes is registering at Facebook.com, (technically) becoming a fan of this Overgrowth Fan Page and joining this "Free Lugaru" event. I'm not into this social network stuff, but the process is totally painless and pretty quick. There's even a video for anyone like me who wants to see how exactly it's done, step by step:

Everyone doing that is said to get an individual key for Lugaru right on Christmas Day. Uuh, presents Smiley

That's really great, as I had a lot of fun with the demo several years back, but frankly I never thought it would be worth $20 to me.
Obviously this event serves as promotion for Lugaru's sequel Overgrowth. Can't wait for that, either Smiley
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 04:23:45 AM by MisterX » Logged

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 04:04:38 AM »

Wow. Thanks Jeff From Wolfire! Nice deal. Meeeerrry Christmas.
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 07:01:30 AM »

Is that some Dragonforce?
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 07:03:42 AM »

I don't like the idea of direct sequels to games right after a game -- it feels a bit too boring. Like how that spiderweb software guy makes nothing but avernum / geneforge rpgs. It'd be really boring if my next game were another tower defense game, for instance.

Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 09:19:21 AM »

I don't like the idea of direct sequels to games right after a game -- it feels a bit too boring. Like how that spiderweb software guy makes nothing but avernum / geneforge rpgs. It'd be really boring if my next game were another tower defense game, for instance.
I agree in general. For example I can't understand the guys too well who yelled for Aquaria 2 right after finishing Aquaria. It would be great if there's eventually going to be one, but for now I find it so much more interesting to see which other new things Alec and Derek are going to do.

But in the case of Lugaru I am totally for a sequel. On the one hand Overgrowth is obviously going to be technically a huge step up from Lugaru, and I'm sure also the gameplay is going to evolve a lot. And then anyone who's played Lugaru probably wishes for being able to battle it out rabid-style in multiplayer, which just isn't possible in Lugaru but will be a part of Overgrowth Smiley

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 10:44:12 AM »

Done and done! I can't say no to a free game. Well, hello there!

Jeff
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 05:57:03 PM »

rinkuhero, it's not a direct sequel at all.  Think of it more like Tower of Goo -> World of Goo.

Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 08:31:32 PM »

Still not quite cheap enough for me...
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 09:51:39 PM »

Ouch! Why, Jinky jonky?

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 02:31:40 AM »

Yeah, that's a genuinely good question Inane. I only played the demo, but the movement felt so... natural? And the character models were nice. It was pretty difficult, but, learning curves and such. Why no love for the Rabbit-Man?
Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 05:50:42 AM »

It's hard to explain. The whole visual design just kind of makes me gip.
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 10:58:38 AM »

You just hate furries then?
Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 11:08:51 AM »

No, like I've said before, they just seem lonely to me, there's nothing about them to hate. And I think the SA and 4chan-led internet crusade against furries is just the new homophobia. Anybody who perpetuates that meme needs to take a good look at themselves.

But what I *do* hate is a lot of the awful hand-drawn cartoon art that comes from the furry community, which is like cartooning with the soul removed. To be clear, I don't hate their pictures because they do nude cartoon animals. I hate their pictures because they're very frequently badly drawn, like the art design from Everquest II. The rabbits in Lugaru remind me strongly of the worst elements of furry art.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 11:15:00 AM »

lugaru is, essentially, programmer's art.
i really like the art for overgrowth.

also, i don't like furries because they're so goddamn flamboyant about it.
LOL LOOK AT ME I'M A FURRY YIFF YIFF LOL WOLVES TURN ME ON

Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 11:43:27 AM »

And I think the SA and 4chan-led internet crusade against furries is just the new homophobia.

Undecided Erm...right. Okay then. Moving right along.

Jeff
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2008, 11:51:34 AM »

David didn't even know what a furry was when he made Lugaru.  He had it really thought out with the uncanny valley and ultra-violence looking way more realistic against fictional animal creations instead of pixelated, funky looking humans.  However, he started getting some weird emails from hardcore furries - the tiny, tiny vocal minority that gives them a bad name.  More disturbingly though, people from SA and other similar communities really took it upon themselves to do shit like call our house (thanks shitty domain registrar) and be like LOL FURFAG, etc.

When we were officially starting Wolfire, I was a little worried that Overgrowth was going to be our first game, because it really is hard to market for those reasons.  You know what though?  Fuck it.  David said he was going to make Overgrowth, and we're not going to change it because it happens to be an unpopular meme right now.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2008, 12:01:36 PM »

Good decision, considering how good it looks.

Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2008, 12:17:22 PM »

also, i don't like furries because they're so goddamn flamboyant about it.
LOL LOOK AT ME I'M A FURRY YIFF YIFF LOL WOLVES TURN ME ON

But how is this different from saying 'I don't like gays because they're so flamboyant about it'? If only they could just keep their love lives totally secret from us so we can pretend they don't exist, right? People have been saying that for decades. Nobody ever objects to someone who is flamboyantly straight.

In any case, here by 'flamboyant' you mean that they have their own websites, and they show up to comic-con. They don't have parades or rallies. They don't appear as token characters on TV shows. They don't have bars or nightclubs. There are no furry-friendly island retreats. There's no 'Priscilla: Furry of the Desert'. They're totally confined to secrecy and hence usually solitude, and as far as I can see they usually can't find a partner, and that's why I feel bad for them.

Jeff: Now I can see that it's not furry art. It still is kind of making me gip, though, and I feel like it is in its own kind of uncanny valley. Sorry everyone! I will try harder in future. I wish you all the greatest success.  Smiley
Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2008, 12:17:44 PM »

As long as it doesn't feature anthropomorphic animal sex, I think you'll probably be in the clear.

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2008, 11:22:58 PM »

More disturbingly though, people from SA and other similar communities really took it upon themselves to do shit like call our house (thanks shitty domain registrar) and be like LOL FURFAG, etc.

Seriously? God. Thought it was just a little meme thing. Nasty folks over there.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic