Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 08:40:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesSubversion
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Subversion  (Read 4690 times)
redoubtable troutbot
Level 2

The robot is your friend

View Profile WWW
« on: January 03, 2009, 01:18:21 PM »

I'm sure most of you already know about this, but I can't see any topic about it here.

Anyways, Chris Delay of Introversion posted another one of his increasingly interesting posts about their upcoming(?) game(?) Subversion today. I've been following it's progress since the first post, and every time he posts something new, it feels like my head is going to explode from the sudden influx of awesome (though it might be because I'm a bit of an introversion fanboy).

If you haven't read them all, I recommend reading from the beginning (right here: parts 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13), it's really an interesting read. Don't forget to check out the videos. I wish all developers would blog infrequently about vague projects.

So far it seems to be able to procedurally generate a city in extreme detail (down to the sensors and motors of sliding doors), is supposed to be very much customizable (with Lua scripts if I'm not mistaken), and looks like so:

Nobody seems to know just what the hell it is, however. Mayhap an uplink-like game where you mess with people's lives by short-circuiting the motion sensors of their sliding doors, or defeat evil by trapping them in an elevator? Only time will tell. In the meantime, care to speculate?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 01:26:22 PM by redoubtable trout » Logged
Bad Sector
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 03:27:27 PM »

Judging from the name, i assume your role is to find differences between several items that make up the buildings, remember each stage of the building's development and attach version numbers to them.

~bs~
pnx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 04:07:56 PM »

Once the engine is complete there is one thing that will complete it for me... Timetravel.
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 06:25:23 PM »

This system of making complex objects out of basic mechanical units is one that I've thought about games using. Heck, LittleBigPlanet has already laid the groundwork- anybody seen that crazy calculating machine? I imagine as time goes on, this method will become more popular, and allow for a greater amount of natural interactivity, as the last post suggests.

As for what Subversion itself is, I'm betting that the emphasis is going to be on the disruption of these mechanical units to reach your goal. Perhaps the player must infiltrate one of these procedurally generated buildings to obtain a file, and you have to figure out a way to break in. I'm hoping this will be multiplayer, as I can imagine running around with a bunch of friends in a city like the one they seem to be creating would be a ton of fun. I personally can't wait until he tries to make a vehicle.
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 09:02:34 PM »

It'll probably end up being an MMO, everyone's doing those things these days.
Zolyx
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 03:10:14 AM »

Heck, LittleBigPlanet has already laid the groundwork- anybody seen that crazy calculating machine?
Yes, and it's utterly bonkers... Shocked

I hadn't looked to see what was new about Subversion for a while, but they really seem to be taking procedural content to new limits. I have no idea at all about what these limits might be for, though. They appear to have the flexibility to create almost any game they want with that engine.

My bet is going on something that mixes the hacking elements of Uplink with Syndicate-style technological street warfare. Please, let it be so...

Mostly harmless indie gamer
Zolyx.co.uk :: The Minecraft Museum
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 09:18:40 AM »

Heck, LittleBigPlanet has already laid the groundwork- anybody seen that crazy calculating machine?
Yes, and it's utterly bonkers... Shocked
Impressive, yes. But have you seen the engine for playing

? Now that's bonkers.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 06:50:05 PM »

Impressive stuff.  Beer!

In the meantime, care to speculate?

What about a game like "The Sims" but focused in... don't know what, hehe.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 09:05:03 PM »

I want this to be a sandbox exploration game so bad, but it probably won't.

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 11:19:06 AM »

I want this to be a sandbox exploration game so bad, but it probably won't.

What would you do to make a game like this interesting, given that it has to be set in procedurally generated, contemporary-style cities? There would have to be some nice gameplay hooks, because otherwise I'd get terribly bored roaming around an environment like that.

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 04:59:50 PM »

I forgot to say a sandbox exploration game where the player character is an ant.

Krux
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 05:10:30 PM »

this game will be the independant version of GTA. At least it looks a little bit like it.
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 06:05:11 PM »

this game will be the independent version of existence. At least it looks a little bit like it.

Fixed that for you.
redoubtable troutbot
Level 2

The robot is your friend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 06:38:27 PM »

My bet is going on something that mixes the hacking elements of Uplink with Syndicate-style technological street warfare. Please, let it be so...

I don't think a single game could contain the awesome... Shocked

I forgot to say a sandbox exploration game where the player character is an ant.

A Sim Ant/GTA/Uplink/Syndicate mash up. My dream game.  Kiss

I don't know exactly how it would work, but holy shit it sounds awesome.
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 07:07:52 PM »

Honestly, I would be happy just dicking around with the contents of buildings like The Incredible Machine mixed with a good dose of Asshole Physics.

jimmythechang
Level 0

wait this isn't air IT'S BEES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 09:52:14 AM »

Seriously. I want to be able to block off doorways with people's furniture and hide their silverware.

i'll do better next time i swear

http://jimmythechang.com
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 04:11:39 PM »

I WANT TO RUB MY GENITALS ALL OVER PEOPLES' SILVERWARE AND THEN FORCE THEM TO EAT TIGERSAUCE WITH THEM.

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 05:11:39 PM »

I want to pull out just enough pins from the support beams (or whatever- architecture's not my strong suit) so that the floor collapses underneath a player. Preferably a group, for maximum hilarity/ swearing.
redoubtable troutbot
Level 2

The robot is your friend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2009, 02:40:18 AM »

There's a new post/video out, with hardcore physics action.

At this point I genuinely cannot see how this can end up any less than totally rad. Even if he released it in its current state, there's literally hours of guaranteed fun bouncing balls around in a procedurally generated city.

Seriously.
Rudolf Kremers
Level 1

Grow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2009, 04:36:30 AM »

I don't understand that these blogs don't get more attention on indie news sites etc. Or even general gaming press. They are massively impressive, rally interesting, and they do other developers a great service by sharing all this info.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic