Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411572 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 10:25:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignGame Endings
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Game Endings  (Read 14541 times)
Gr.Viper
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2009, 03:48:52 PM »

Blade Runner had a wide range of noir endings. Noir
I Have no Mouth and I Must Scream had a couple (both not so happy), not to mention non-linear gameplay and personal stories. And Ellison did a great job on AM's voice. Blink

Oh, and the ending of The Day of the Tentacle in which everything is fine except for the US flag :D
Hitman: Blood Money with its raise-from-dead-kill-bad-guys finale was kinda fun too.

And being a combat flight sim fan I'm used to endings which do not involve you at all. Especially in historical campaigns where the outcome is pre-determined.

Now in his mid-forties and still unusual Hubert had learnt many important things, when he was young... ...most importantly, that sanity is a compromise.
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2009, 03:58:49 PM »

Valve has some pretty good endings to their games, Portal in particular (and not just because of the song!).
acidBatterie
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2009, 05:04:41 PM »

Valve has some pretty good endings to their games, Portal in particular (and not just because of the song!).

i didn't like the ending to hl2 that much. the combat in the finale improved but the ending lacked so much. the ending was like the ending to some lost episode.

contrary to that was the ending of hl2: ep2 which was awsoms and made me believe in hl again  Hand Shake Left Kiss Hand Shake Right
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2009, 05:29:47 PM »

Really? I loved the ending to HL2
"TIME, Mr Freeman?"
The actual final sequence didn't do much for me honestly, but the ending itself was ace.

One ending I'm especailly fond of is the second Monkey Island one, even though I highly expect it breaks against all rules, I love it.
It got this great, yeah, a weird game like this really shouldn't really have ended in another way -vibe.
I always thought that was a spoof of overly pretentious movies/games. It really works on both levels though, I think; as parody and as just a weird but satisfying ending.

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2009, 05:53:36 PM »

i've always preferred ironic or unexpected endings, but at the moment nothing really comes to mind.

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2009, 06:34:48 PM »

On that note: Earthworm Jim, anyone?
Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2009, 06:54:33 PM »

Shadow of the Colossus has one of the best endings I've played. Specially the way it broke all my expectations SPOILER I spent the second half of th game thinking "This will end awfully wrong..." and it was actually happy, in a weird way.

The end of COD5 is one of my favorites too. I found incredibly epic and great. Although COD4 had one almost at the same level.

Seeing COD and SotC, I'd say being able to play during the ending makes much better.

Monkey Island 2 has a great ending.

Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2009, 08:09:57 PM »

I quite like the Geneforge text-dumps, which tell what happens after you've finished based on the choices you've made. Fallout's slideshow as well. It's nice to know that your actions have had an effect on the world once everything's over.
rob
Level 8

all 'bout Zumba (absolute pro @ Zumba)

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2009, 08:19:46 PM »

Best ending ever: Bad Dudes.

The president likes hamburgers? WHAT A TWIST!

ChevyRay
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2009, 08:36:50 PM »

On that note: Earthworm Jim, anyone?
Ace.

I liked SotC's ending as well, just because it left so much to the imagination (unless I'm just dense and missed the point).

Killer 7 was different. Still not sure what to think of that ending. Or that game, as a matter of fact Shrug

Despite how much I enjoy the franchise, I absolutely despise every-single Legend of Zelda ending. Lame beyond reason Lips Sealed

Heavenly Sword wasn't exactly a happy ending... but it didn't exactly blow my mind, either.

I find it odd that endings aren't given a little more respect, you'd think you would want to leave a strong lasting impression of the game in the player's mind.
Candlejack
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2009, 08:37:12 PM »

Best ending ever: Bad Dudes.

The president likes hamburgers? WHAT A TWIST!
If you like twists, you should play No More Heros.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2009, 08:54:27 PM »

I haven't read the entire thread but I absolutely loved the ending of the new PoP.

acidBatterie
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2009, 09:10:17 PM »

I liked SotC's ending as well, just because it left so much to the imagination (unless I'm just dense and missed the point).

did you play ico?
ChevyRay
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2009, 10:30:58 PM »

did you play ico?
Yup.
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2009, 01:51:33 AM »

did you play ico?
Yup.

Notice anything odd about the baby in the ending of SotC?

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
acidBatterie
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2009, 07:59:19 AM »

the ending was really really good, both ico and sotc.
team ico  Hand Metal Left Kiss Hand Thumbs Up Right
GP Lackey
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2009, 08:03:33 AM »

The end of

always seemed kind of dreamy.  I'm pointing it out though because I like games that end with the "cast" of enemies.

Spoilers I guess:

The ending of SotC is pretty bittersweet implications when you think of the lives of the surviving characters alone in that desolate ruin.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2009, 08:09:33 AM »

I haven't read the entire thread but I absolutely loved the ending of the new PoP.

I haven't played that one, but I finished The Sands of Time last week and I must say I quite enjoyed the ending (and a lot of what lead up to it).
Hempuliā€½
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2009, 08:19:18 AM »

I like games that end with the "cast" of enemies.

YES! YES!

That's yet another reason why I love Super Mario World. :D

kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2009, 09:02:41 AM »

One of my favourite game endings was Shenmue 2. Well, okay, it had the start of a new chapter, but it took place in a completely different location; I still remember how it was to walk down those pathways with flowers either side.  It also came with an opening-up of the narrative, beautiful hints of what was to come in the next game.
I finished Shenmue 2 recently and I am going to have to second this, it was just so peaceful walking through the mountains and forests, it felt very soothing. And it wasn't just a small scene, that was huge, it took me a whole afternoon to finish it. Sadly, I don't believe we'll see another Shenmue 3 in the future. Sigh.

And any Kojima game always delivers a good ending for me: Metal Gear Solid 1, 2, 3 and Snatcher. They were all good games by the way, not just the endings.

Mother 3 was also pretty emotional and deserves a mention here.

Metal Slug 2(?), I'm not sure which of the titles was it, but the one where in the end we ally ourselves with our enemies to destroy the alien invaders, and then that guy flies into the spaceship's main weapon to saves us all (just like in the Independence Day movie). That was a great ending, it cracked me up.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic