Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411570 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 07:29:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)problems drawing rocks...
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: problems drawing rocks...  (Read 2658 times)
Sengir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 15, 2010, 11:08:58 AM »

Hello everyone, I'm making a background for my game, and I must draw a wall of rock, but I'm not sure I'm doing it well...

what do you think about it?

do you have any suggestion or tutorial for drawing rock well? I'm a little blocked now :-(
thank you for answers!

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 11:43:29 AM »

You're doing quite a good job on the shading, but it looks a little flat in some places, where you have no shading to define the shapes but just the standard grey. One techique that many use is to crack the rock wall up into segments, make it big chunks with cracks between them. That way you don't have to deal with big flat surfaces, but can just go at the separate stones with good ol' pillow shading. Look at good ol' cave story background for reference:

With your high resolution I'd also suggest adding some texture to it. Just go and photograph the asphalt of the street outside your house, and then put that in "overlay" or "multiply" ink over your image. After masking it a little and fading it down some it will propably look more natural. If you're going for the realistic look, that is.

Good luck Beer!
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 12:01:06 PM »

You're honestly suggesting learning from Cave Story's backgrounds?  Epileptic

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 12:52:39 PM »

Mehrg... Wasn't saying they're pretty, just saying they're a good example of the technique...
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 01:10:31 PM »

Hello everyone, I'm making a background for my game, and I must draw a wall of rock, but I'm not sure I'm doing it well...

img

what do you think about it?

do you have any suggestion or tutorial for drawing rock well? I'm a little blocked now :-(
thank you for answers!

I don't think your problem right now is from actually drawing the rocks, but from your range and light source.  I kinda have no clue where light is coming from in that image, and you're using a rather limited range of values between dark grey and slightly lighter than dark grey.  Expand that!

Evil-Ville
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 01:24:36 PM »

You're doing quite a good job on the shading, but it looks a little flat in some places, where you have no shading to define the shapes but just the standard grey. One techique that many use is to crack the rock wall up into segments, make it big chunks with cracks between them. That way you don't have to deal with big flat surfaces, but can just go at the separate stones with good ol' pillow shading. Look at good ol' cave story background for reference:

http://www.pixelate.de/uploads/images/cavestory.gif

With your high resolution I'd also suggest adding some texture to it. Just go and photograph the asphalt of the street outside your house, and then put that in "overlay" or "multiply" ink over your image. After masking it a little and fading it down some it will propably look more natural. If you're going for the realistic look, that is.

Good luck Beer!

Is this post a joke?

Don't look at Cave Story, look at actual rocks.
jpgray
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 01:35:53 PM »

Some inspiration:

First, get clear about your light source.  Currently, yours is a bit confused and lacks depth: highlights occur somewhat randomly, on the lower left on some stones and on the lower right of others; the majority of the walls are the same flat shade of grey and are lacking depth; some forms have a rigid outline while others do not; etc.  

You also need to consider your structure as a 3d space, complete with a horizon which represents the eyeline and perspective based on that horizon.  Right now the inner right side of the entrance reads as completely flat, or edging down into the ground--if it were level with the ground, it would recede along a line of perspective which connects with the horizon, which based on the gradient on the cave floor is a ways above the entrance floor.

A -really- quick 3-color sketch in paint based on your image:

I fudged the lighting pretty badly, and this is all mouse so it's very sloppy, but you see the difference?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 01:43:37 PM by jpgray » Logged
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 12:27:57 AM »

Is this post a joke?
Oh god I feel so misunderstood Cheesy
Sengir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 12:32:00 AM »

JLJac don't worry, I understood your intention...:-)

ok thanks to all for the advice, I understood where i was wrong...maybe the light which I use is too smooth, and it doesn't give the sense of hard edges that the rock has...

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic