Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 10:40:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesIndie Brawl
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl  (Read 51890 times)
Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2007, 07:26:43 AM »

Mixing styles would certainly be easier but it could lead to some strange problems, especially with characters that have different resolutions...

I like the redrawn style, IMO. If only there was some way we could combine the two...
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: October 22, 2007, 07:37:21 AM »

Redrawn would be cool.

There isn't really any way to reconcile the mixed styles and its always cool to see characters reinterpreted by a different artist.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2007, 08:45:20 AM »

I feel ashamed that I haven't finished mine yet (Damn you college! And Battleships Forever...), but if I may give my 2 or 3 cents, I think that if it's to be done, it would probably be best to do like SMB does. If you look at the characters, some are very cartoonish, some more 'anime', some outright deformed, yet they all fit together in one way or another.

It would be best to redraw the characters, but each character being definitely recognizeable if the person played the original game by the nuances in how the character is drawn. It's like making the designs get closer to eachother, but not at the same place on the spectrum (I always like to use that word for some odd reason).

The best place to look for inspiration on redrawing the characters would be original design artwork for the games, or, like in Quote's case, the pixel artwork shown at the ending of Cave Story (since they were all done by Pixel, there's a good chance that's how he imagines the character to be in a higher resolution).

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2007, 09:08:22 AM »

Fucking awesome.

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2007, 04:20:40 PM »

I think Redrawing is a way better idea, personally.

Also, I forgot to say this before, but:
Oracle: JOIN THE DAMN FORUM, I KNOW YOU'RE READING THIS.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2007, 04:25:43 PM »

Yeah, I like the redrawing idea better too. I don't think the game will look right if the original images are used. I think the style should look relatively the same though, if that's possible.

Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2007, 07:07:54 PM »

I don't really have anything to contribute to this but I wanted to post anyway since it's so awesome.

Can I just contribute my love to people who are actually making themselves useful?
 Kiss Kiss Kiss
Blaster
Pixelhead
Level 1

*wiggle*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2007, 01:37:40 AM »

Exciting! I couldn't help but do some doodling. Study for exams? P'shaw!

Very, very rough, but I'm just too eager. May finish it later.

But, yes, I think the death worm would work best as a STAGE.

I couldn't be bothered drawing it, but, but... Having the death worm in the distance eating animals and destroying armies would be choice... then occassionally bursting out of the ground right beneath the players(!).
Things like stampedes of animals (everyone having to jump to an above platform) and soldiers running past could interact with the players too.

*****Edit: Maybe.. on occassion... a rare stampede of the animals from Zoo Race?!?1?!

I was trying to think of an indie.. brute/tank kind of character to play as, and I think Victor from Cedric and the Revolution could be pretty bad ass (needs to be drawn much bigger than in my mockup, though).

I mean, he's big.. and he's a blacksmith.

As far as style is considered, I think some mid-point between keeping the original style of each character and redrawing for consistency is best.
But it'll take some experimentation to see where this middle ground works the best.

I tried to retain the basic proportions of the originals, and to an extent, adaptions of their particular pixeling & colouring style. E.g. the black outline of Nikujin oppossed to Victor's coloured outlines. But this looks a bit silly...
If low-res was the way to go, a consistent pixeling technique would be best, I think, like in Oracle's most awesome pixels, but, instead, keeping each character's particular style found in their own games. Just like Melly (in much better words) has stated. Edit: and many others, re-reading the thread.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 01:45:50 AM by Pita » Logged

Pixel Art: Portfolio || Twitter: @pita_akm || Tumblr: silver deluxe
gummikana
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2007, 01:48:38 AM »

Holy crap! Those mock-ups by Inane and Pita look pretty sweet.

I like the deadworm in the background / occasionally harassing the players idea. I think it would work much better that way than as a playable character.

Petri Purho
siiseli
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 23, 2007, 02:23:08 AM »

Very very nice mockup :O
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: October 23, 2007, 06:21:45 AM »

Why not have such characters as single player npc bosses (think capcom last bosses on the MvC franchise and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure special stages)? Fighting against a huge imba sandworm would be awesome. Would work as well for all the shmup ships, varicella, the rolling boulder from that indiana jones inspired game, etc.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 23, 2007, 08:37:42 AM »

I now want to see a Battleships Forever boss. You can destroy specific pieces of it one by one (maybe the really big one with a massive laser on the front. I think he has the forcefield thingy too).

Another level idea: The 'n' level. With gold, killer drones and turrets. And if you're good you can drive those seeker missiles into your opponents.

The match-3 boss should take extra damage by, you guessed it, destroying pieces of matching color! The irony!

I have a few ideas for core gameplay mechanics, but I'll say them once I get the mockup up.

As soon as I'm not swamped I'll finish my mockup. Sorry for making you guys wait.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 23, 2007, 03:54:06 PM »

What about the main character from Ark22? Or Lohn from Sunset Over Imdahl? Or the Silver Knights? Or Wilfred the Hero? Or Mr. Blocko? Or the Ragdoll from Truck/Stair Dismount? Or Ninjah?

The artist formally known as "Javet."
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: October 23, 2007, 05:29:31 PM »

Or the Ragdoll from Truck/Stair Dismount?

Man, that dude really has to be in the game. Like you have to kick the shit out of him doing the lowest possible damage, just so he doesn't earn points.

sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: October 23, 2007, 05:37:36 PM »

I'd love it if that Ragdoll guy (who is referred to in the readme file as the legendary superhero Spector) was featured, especially as a player character. I think he'd have to behave pretty differently to the other characters to be enjoyable, though.

I think Lyle from Cube Sector would also be awesome to play as. Sure, we don't want too many platformer characters but I think his fighting style (CUBES!) is unique and potentially awesome enough to warrant his inclusion.

Pita's mockup also shows what I think would be a fairly great graphical style for the game.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2007, 12:15:33 PM »

you could kick the ragdoll guy and use him as a weapon, throw him at other players for damage.
And he could get in the way of ranged attacks...

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Shaheen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: October 25, 2007, 08:36:38 AM »

Go, go, WADF!
Very WIP.

Next up: Toribash.
Higgins
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 25, 2007, 10:47:03 AM »

While these are some very nice styles Kiss, I'd personally prefer the characters look as much like original as possible. Sizing and pixel scaling problems probably prevent exact copies, but I think they can be redrawn to look how they look in their original games. I'm with Phil Fish on this one.
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 25, 2007, 11:12:10 AM »

Yeah, I am in agreement with Higgins and Fish as well. I think the characters should obviously be re-sized for the game but they should definitely retain their individual styles.

Is there anyway for the game to have tag-team battles? That would rock...

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2007, 01:00:42 PM »

Is there anyway for the game to have tag-team battles?

Are you insane?! That's impossible! Every single person that tried to make a tag team game failed, every single person. It can't be done.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic