Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411609 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 09, 2024, 11:09:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignDisappointing final bosses
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Disappointing final bosses  (Read 22436 times)
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2009, 10:16:20 AM »

First, if the Spelunky final boss had been easier/pussier, I'd have felt cheated. "So I went through that hell for THIS? You gotta be kidding me.". And he's not even that hard once you get a good strategy going.

And Spelunky is pretty refined with tight controls. It's just very fucking hard, but mostly for people (like me) that are impatient. I forget how many times I died to arrow traps because I just kept running without looking. With skill and practice (and patience) You can reach the final boss consistently.

I do hate the dark levels though.
yeah i know i was just being.... ironic, i think.  Grin

Seth
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2009, 11:30:01 AM »

Yeah I was pretty disappointed with Spelunky's boss--I mean, I already beat SMB3 years ago.
Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2009, 11:31:27 AM »

I think Fusion's great, but the boss are terrible in terms of challenge, and that is a fact.
the nightmare

Lo
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2009, 12:53:34 PM »

I think Fusion's great, but the boss are terrible in terms of challenge, and that is a fact.
the nightmare

Lime
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2009, 01:34:08 PM »

Metroid Fusion definitely had a disappointing final boss, IMO.
Spoiler:
The boss battle against SA-X was good, the second form was cool too. The escape was a nostalgia effect that would led to an epic boss battle, but instead we got a battle against a Big Metroid Lizard. Not to mention it's simple attack patterns and repetitiveness.

All the bosses in Fusion were quite boring! Grin
But indeed, all the three last bosses were kinda tedious, and they really went from hard to easier!

I must disagree.The SA-X fight was way too epic.

That's how the game goes,
That's how the lime rolls.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2009, 08:37:40 AM »

Yeah, the Spelunky boss could be a bit harder, but it was a good challenge, especially with summoning those damn critters. FUCK YOU FROGS!

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2009, 08:42:46 AM »

Metroid Fusion definitely had a disappointing final boss, IMO.
Spoiler:
The boss battle against SA-X was good, the second form was cool too. The escape was a nostalgia effect that would led to an epic boss battle, but instead we got a battle against a Big Metroid Lizard. Not to mention it's simple attack patterns and repetitiveness.

All the bosses in Fusion were quite boring! Grin
But indeed, all the three last bosses were kinda tedious, and they really went from hard to easier!

I must disagree.The SA-X fight was way too epic.

Imo SA-X could've been a whole lot harder; now you just had to jump over it and shoot + repeat. Also I was highly disappointed from his "real" form. Enough spoiling, the bosses weren't very good, period! Durr...?

Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2009, 10:47:00 AM »

Difficulty wise, Super Metroid's final boss disappointed the hell outta me. I mean, it's a great boss and all (Tying the storyline to the battle for dramatic effect was ingenious) but I didn't found it to be as climactic as it could have been. They should have ramped up the difficulty in the first stage, would have made the second (easy) stage more of a reward than a continuation of the boss fight.

It was a great boss, just lacking in the difficulty department, IMO.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 10:22:59 PM by Error Mind » Logged

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2009, 12:39:54 AM »

Speaking of Metroid... Metroid Prime 3's final boss sucked.  Basically just spam hyperbeam until victory.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2009, 07:29:57 PM »

I enjoyed all of them, although I agree that the game essentially climaxed at Ridley and the rest was weaker.

FINAL FANTASY TEN. Jesus christ. I don't think I've ever felt so cheated. If the game had just stopped at Yunalesca, it would have been significantly better. That boss was actually interesting.

Halo 3 also had a stupid final boss. The boss in Halo 2 was fun, so I was expecting, you know, something.

Seth
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2009, 11:13:38 AM »

Perfect Dark's entire last few levels were lame, including the boss.  ALIENS!
MaloEspada
« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2009, 02:18:32 PM »

This reminds me... Super Mario 64. Basically EVERY BOWSER FIGHT WAS THE SAME THING. Including the final one.

Plus, Super Mario Galaxy. The final boss was basically just the three Bowser Fights meshed together.
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2009, 05:04:42 PM »

I'm going to make it so that the final boss in my game will be the final villain. Before the great fight, the main character and villain talk and settle their differences. When you gain control, you have to high-five the boss. Then the game is won.
Inspired by JaJitsu.

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2009, 07:09:16 PM »

Kingdom Hearts(2) and Fable 2 were serious let-downs for me on boss battles in general. Especially the final ones.

OmniMuffin
Level 1

To the gallows I say!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2009, 07:21:03 PM »

I'm going to make it so that the final boss in my game will be the final villain. Before the great fight, the main character and villain talk and settle their differences. When you gain control, you have to high-five the boss. Then the game is won.
Inspired by JaJitsu.
That's so anticlimactic it's not even funny.

Unless the high five is very, very difficult.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2009, 08:13:54 PM »

Seconding Fable 2. That shit was a huge let-down.

Kind of related I guess,
Are there some games with final battles rather than final bosses (like against alot of enemies rather than one powerful one), and do people find them as satisfying?

Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2009, 03:00:25 AM »

I'm going to make it so that the final boss in my game will be the final villain.

You are a genius man.
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2009, 07:34:19 AM »

Yeah I know. I don't proofread my posts. Too cool for that.

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 03, 2009, 01:36:09 PM »

After recently finishing Torchlight, I must say it's got a not too bad a final boss, as he looks pretty threatening and has some interesting attacks at least, but apparently the devs think 'TAKES A FUCKTON OF TIME TO END' equals epic. Which is not really true unless your boss does something different as you chip away at him for around 10-15 minutes.

Same thing on the final dungeon levels. They're huge and swarming with the same high-level enemies, quickly making getting through them a chore, so much that I found myself running right through chugging health potions.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2009, 01:14:52 PM »

Someone brought up a Mario game, and I've always had mixed feelings toward the Mario bosses.

It seems like every Mario boss ever is ridiculously easy, with a couple minor exceptions, and maybe the idea is that the bosses are more reward than challenge in Mario games.  But at the same time a lot are just too easy (the fortress mini-bosses in Mario Bros. 3, the koopa kids in Mario World).  If I could change one thing in Super Mario World, it would be to make the koopa kids harder.

My favorite Mario bosses have to be those in Yoshi's Island - they seem to be an exception to the rule and are challenging but not frustrating, and always unique.  The final boss even changed the way a core mechanic worked, was a lot of fun, and was pretty epic to boot.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 01:20:15 PM by Matt Thorson » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic