Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411712 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 07:30:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesStalin Vs. Martians
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Stalin Vs. Martians  (Read 20496 times)
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2009, 11:22:58 PM »

I am tempted to buy it just to support the developers. They're making the type of game that I want to see more of. I'd like them to spend more time on making their games actually fun next time though  Tongue

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2009, 11:26:00 PM »

But on the other hand, if they're rewarded for shoddy craftsmanship they may feel that nothing was wrong and not improve. I'd rather spend money on indie devs that put more care into their games. As someone put it on the RPS blog, for every game like this that gets attention, there are other better indie games that miss out on the attention, even though they're better. For instance, Glum Buster may be a much better game than this, but it's almost unknown in comparison.

Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2009, 01:28:32 AM »

But on the other hand, if they're rewarded for shoddy craftsmanship they may feel that nothing was wrong and not improve. I'd rather spend money on indie devs that put more care into their games. As someone put it on the RPS blog, for every game like this that gets attention, there are other better indie games that miss out on the attention, even though they're better. For instance, Glum Buster may be a much better game than this, but it's almost unknown in comparison.
Oh come on, it's not like they aren't going to read any of the reviews. They're obviously going to realise that their gameplay is bad when every review blatantly tells them it is. It'd be nice to at least have them get enough money to break even and allow the developers to better themselves.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2009, 01:42:29 AM »

The only reason I happened upon the reviews was that someone specifically pointed them out to me, I don't normally read reviews (and I suspect most people are the same) before buying a game. But, even if a lot of people do read the reviews and decide to pass up the game, the attention-spots it takes up do displace other games.

And I think they did the bad gameplay intentionally -- their site seems to point at that -- it did come off like a quick way to cash in on a funny idea (pop culture reference + pop culture reference = win as someone put it in a blog comment), so I'm not even sure the developers care about making their game better.

Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2009, 02:03:14 AM »

The only reason I happened upon the reviews was that someone specifically pointed them out to me, I don't normally read reviews (and I suspect most people are the same) before buying a game. But, even if a lot of people do read the reviews and decide to pass up the game, the attention-spots it takes up do displace other games.

And I think they did the bad gameplay intentionally -- their site seems to point at that -- it did come off like a quick way to cash in on a funny idea (pop culture reference + pop culture reference = win as someone put it in a blog comment), so I'm not even sure the developers care about making their game better.
sure, but the developers are going to read the reviews of course. Whether or not they purposely made the gameplay bad (who'd do that? I mean, not put much thought into gameplay, sure, but intensionally making their gameplay bad?) I don't think there are many people alive who can make a game, sell it, and not care what anyone thinks of it.

Tom Sennett
Level 3

Indie Game Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2009, 09:39:02 AM »

Since when is Josef Stalin "pop culture"?

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2009, 09:52:52 AM »

I'm not an expert on pop culture trends, I'm guessing it happened after he was featured in The Tick -- it seems to have spiraled up from there. So, 1996 or thereabouts? That Hitler vs Stalin comic also helped it a bit.

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2009, 05:17:58 PM »

Hey, if H.P. Lovecraft can be considered pop culture, why not Stalin?
Fuzz
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2009, 05:19:21 PM »

I think Stalin is not so much popular culture as popular consciousness.
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2009, 09:47:41 PM »

In Mother Russia, it is Stalin who pops culture!

(?)

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
Traveller
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2009, 02:01:11 PM »

The videos I saw made it look like it had the gameplay of those silly flash games you play for five minutes before you get bored...Good graphics, but that's it.
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2009, 03:05:39 PM »

I have it; it's disappointing to say the least.

I'll go into a little more depth tomorrow when I have time.

olücæbelel
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2009, 03:24:55 PM »

looking forward to your review -- I take it it's a bad idea to buy it?

mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2009, 06:59:45 PM »

I bought it, terrible idea. It's a shoddy piece of software.

I made a brief comment over on indiegames the day it came out, but essentially the game is garbage. The stuff surrounding the game is highly amusing, the music is great, the menus and videos are hilarious, but gameplay is repetitive and boring, not to mention its full of bugs.

I didn't play past level 4 because it stopped telling me what my mission objectives were, and few minutes into the level, regardless of what I was doing, I would fail the mission, but here are my impressions from the levels I did play.

The models for all the aliens are poorly done and lazy, essentially there are three kinds of aliens (in the first three levels), little pikmin dudes, green three eyed aliens that look exactly like the aliens in toy story, and blue elephants. The pikmin mob your infantry but are easy to defeat if you tell your units not to target anything. They are impossible to click on and target, so the best tactic is to just tell your units to stop moving and figure it out themselves. The other two units are essentially just artillery, you take them out with your tanks, so as long as you have more tanks than there are aliens, you win. Essentially you just fight these three types of aliens over and over using two strategies. Attack artillery aliens, or stop moving and defend against little aliens.

Then there are pickups, which are mildly amusing at first, but problematically, they are also one of your primary sources of income. They are impossible to pick up. If you are lucky the pickups will spawn on top of your unit and will be instantly picked up, but usually they spawn right next to your unit, in which case you have to deselect all your units, select one unit and then try to maneuver him over the pickup, which is usually quite difficult because units don't move where you tell them, and pickups aren't actually where they appear to be.

I could go on, but I think you get the picture by now. This is a pile of crap wrapped in some pretty amusing fluff. It'll get a laugh or two out of you, but once you get to the actual game, I'm sure any positive thoughts you have about the game will go out the window.

It's that bad.
 Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Thumbs Down Right

Three thumbs down.

Everything good about this game is included in the trailers, so save yourself some money and just go watch those instead.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2009, 07:11:56 PM »

Thanks for the review. If that's all true, it's really kind of disappointing that this game got so much notice/attention and so many other indie games didn't -- you'd think it'd be trivial to make the pick-ups easier for instance, and with any amount of playtesting they'd have noticed and fixed that. Still, maybe future patches will address these issues hopefully.

mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2009, 07:21:37 PM »

Shrug, I think it got so much attention because it has great music and hilarious trailers.

Seriously, those are some top notch trailers that I think deserved some praise and mention, it's just sad that they seem to have put far more energy into hype than actually making a quality game.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2009, 07:25:52 PM »

Possible. I still wonder how the game's technical issues got past all the quality testers on Steam, Impulse, etc.

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2009, 07:41:59 PM »

Hahahah I'm having a lot of fun reading reviews of this game.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2009, 09:40:15 PM »

So, in short, don't buy the game. Got it.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
mirosurabu
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2009, 01:27:17 AM »

Someone should upload a gameplay footage on YouTube.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic