Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411714 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 12:00:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesTIGConf?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: TIGConf?  (Read 12387 times)
Bad Sector
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2009, 08:23:30 PM »

I thought this was about a common game configuration utility/protocol that indie games should use so you wont have to configure each one separately (like setting the same keys for movement, action, jump, etc resolution, volume control, etc manage account settings for those who use a single account in their machines but more than one person plays the game, etc). Well, too bad :-P

The conference sounds interesting actually :-)

~bs~
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2009, 09:43:11 PM »

Workshops would be amazing and would definitely interest me.  Instead of just people talking about how to manage an indie business, things like animation or pixel art or engine programming would be awesome.

YES.

Powergloved Andy
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2009, 10:31:09 PM »

ok guys, if we really want this to happen we need to get people together who's willing to help put this plan into motion. A guess from this thread I could see architekt and Alec being onboard already. I don't mind helping out but I don't want to be stuck with everything to do.

This idea sounds really fun to me, so I've been sitting here thinking about it. Here are some thoughts I've had on the subject so far.

First of all, we need a good location. The west coast is a generally good idea. But not so much a good compromise for everyone. So might I suggest Texas?

Grapevine Texas Convention Center is where screwattack.com holds "The Ironman of Gaming" events, and it's right outside of Dallas, TX. It has hotels, bars (because if I'm going to an event I am going to be smashed... and I know I'm not the only one), restaurants nearby, and Texas weather is usually decent. Plus, it's used to this kind of high tech crowd anyway, and a fairly big convention center. Plus I'm pretty sure if ScrewAttack uses it, then it's probably easy on the wallet to rent out as well. So us east coasters, and you west coasters have a center meeting point. You Canooks, and Europeans have quite a ways to go anyway. =P

Here's the URL:
http://www.grapevinetexasusa.com/MeetingProfessionals/GrapevineConventionCenter/tabid/353/Default.aspx

The website even helps with selling tickets for events and helps people book hotel rooms and such that are nearby the center.

I'm pretty sure paying for the rent won't be a problem with the a small charge for tickets. Also, if developers wanted to set up a small booth for example to showcase some stuff, like if Alec and his Infinite Ammo team wanted to set up a small booth they could also be charged a small fee. (That wasn't a hint, it's just you guys were the first to pop into my mind  :D)

But overall, I think we should try to strive for small attendance fees, and nothing like the IGF/GDC summit $2,000 fee, haha. I think it'd be nice so ALL the indie community at least has the opportunity within reasonable bounds to attend!

I don't know I'm just starting out my research, but this is what's on the top of brain at the mo'.

(I'll be happy as long as there is a bar nearby)  Cool
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2009, 11:27:03 PM »

Haha, thanks for starting to seriously think about this Andy; I think it'll force the rest of us too as well.  Smiley

Oh, and I'm assuming you realize that both Alec and I are these "Canooks" that you speak of.  :D

And on that note, Alec, what do you think the odds are of there being some random Government of Canada program that neither of us have heard of, but which could be milked to fund an event like this in Canada?  :D

I always ask myself that question after hearing about how Jon Mak found some program to milk.  Grin
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2009, 11:57:27 PM »

I'll try to attend if and when this happens, but it's pretty much guaranteed I can't unless it's in California. Durr...?

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2009, 06:18:32 AM »

And on that note, Alec, what do you think the odds are of there being some random Government of Canada program that neither of us have heard of, but which could be milked to fund an event like this in Canada?  :D

There are a number of programs in Canada that -might- be interested in funding.

I know the province of Manitoba and city of Winnipeg would very likely be down for funding something like this, especially if it meant attracting a bunch of talented people to visit the city. I think the key component would be getting the province to offset the cost of some of the international flights, because I see that as being a potential stumbling block with getting people up here. If we hosted it in the summer, it could work quite well. (Winnipeg's lovely in the summer and fall)

I actually got an invitation to meet with the Minister of Technology (and other folks in the New Media scene) to talk about the economic crisis and opportunities for growth in Manitoba... I could totally bring this up with him. Smiley

Rudolf Kremers
Level 1

Grow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2009, 08:51:35 AM »

Or maybe it should be held in Europe.

Powergloved Andy
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2009, 09:33:00 AM »

You know, for some reason I was only thinking within America boarders! (I guess it was all the west coast talk). It would be awesome to start considering Canada.  For some reasons I thought architekt was in the California area. Anyway, I'll do some research today to see what's up. But you guys probably could get Canadian info easier..?

I might make some phone calls, I got free unlimited US and Canada.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2009, 09:48:01 AM »

This is an exciting thing! I would love to help, but I have no skills/contacts, but I would love to be involved!

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Corpus
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2009, 12:39:11 PM »

If we're doing something of this scale, it would be best to give ourselves a good amount of time to devise and organise it. Depending on what sort of thing is decided upon, it might be sensible to aim either for late 2009 or even for 2010.

I would love workshops! That would be really cool. Probably my favourite part of TIGJam was learning about how people worked, particularly Mightypea showing me some of his probably very basic but, to me, being a noob, incredibly interesting Photoshop painting technique).

The question is, though, are you talking about an international conference, or an American conference? If it's international, a West Coast location would be totally out of the question, since it's on the other side of the world to nearly every non-American tiger.

I don't know if it would complicate things, what with the IGF being fairly close, but having it in or around January might be a good idea, since a lot of airlines have sales around that time.
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2009, 09:36:58 PM »

That's also really cool to hear that you've got a meeting with the Minister of Technology!  Alberta's government is such a joke (and has been a joke for a very long time); they'd never give money for something like this (though they've also become a lot more unpredictable, so who knows).  Edmonton's civic government is pretty good though, and they might be open to the idea.  Plus, Bioware started in Edmonton, so they might have money to throw.  Winnipeg is more central though, and closer for Europeans.

I think summer is probably best, to accommodate for students who can't just ditch their studies for X number of days.  I'm pretty biased though, so yeah.
Powergloved Andy
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2009, 04:00:01 AM »

If we're doing something of this scale, it would be best to give ourselves a good amount of time to devise and organise it. Depending on what sort of thing is decided upon, it might be sensible to aim either for late 2009 or even for 2010.

Yeah this is a good idea. Who's in charge of this project anyway...? We need somebody who can spearhead this thing if we realistically want to get the ball rolling successfully.
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2009, 04:07:39 AM »

Would it be worth paying some attention to some other international events? For example, Unity has a 'Unite' conference in October in Copenhagen.  Denmark.  Europe.

(ie not America)

twitter: @docky
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2009, 04:24:34 AM »

I say we just have a bunch of people with a TIG flag walk in on any existing games conference and claim it as their own.
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2009, 06:31:30 AM »

I say we just have a bunch of people with a TIG flag walk in on any existing games conference and claim it as their own.
Best idea that came out of this thread
Nulldorf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2009, 07:13:37 AM »

Who say's it has to be a games conference?
http://www.wsda.org/pndc/pndc.view

Grin

Anyway, this thread has me wondering what the geographic spread of the TIGers is? Is there a thread on this?
Rudolf Kremers
Level 1

Grow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2009, 12:14:27 PM »

I am genuinely interested in an international independent games conference, specifically one run and frequented by those who are active as developers or otherwise closely linked to the subject. I certaily would consider contributing in some way. I think the location is something that should be decided after the ideal content is determined. I am for example not so interested n making games together or having a a game making conttest at a conference like this. I see it much more as a platform for meeting the diverse people that are active in it, discussing all aspects of it, in seminars, talks, sessions, or whatever is appropriate. And reporting on the findings and initiatives that such a conference would no doubt produce. A bit like Christoper langton's initial conference on artificial life in the late 80s. Something that connects people to eachother from acrosss the board and gives us a shared platform for examining all the different views and aspects involved.

Laremere
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2009, 01:12:21 PM »

It might be interesting to do a compo where it ends a little bit before the conference, and get all the entries in playable form at the conference.

Anyway, this thread has me wondering what the geographic spread of the TIGers is? Is there a thread on this?
I have been wondering about this too.  I quickly made a Google map collaboration that would allow anyone to simply put a marker where they live: I've shared a map with you called Tiggers around the world.:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=102797214439339790573.0004604f7bbb5c4f39224

Edit: Use the other one further down the page.

We can use this if we want.  If you add a marker where you live, don't feel any pressure to have your name on it, or to put it exactly at your house.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 05:02:25 AM by Laremere » Logged

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, is sound_tree_fall.play() called?

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
-Albert Einstein
Corpus
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2009, 02:50:54 AM »

Oh, I somehow totally missed Alec's post about Canadian government funding. Embarrassed

That's an awesome idea.
Rudolf Kremers
Level 1

Grow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2009, 03:44:22 AM »

It might be interesting to do a compo where it ends a little bit before the conference, and get all the entries in playable form at the conference.

I have been wondering about this too.  I quickly made a Google map collaboration that would allow anyone to simply put a marker where they live: I've shared a map with you called Tiggers around the world.:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=102797214439339790573.0004604f7bbb5c4f39224

We can use this if we want.  If you add a marker where you live, don't feel any pressure to have your name on it, or to put it exactly at your house.

Ok errrm.... how does one add a pointer to this shared mapthingee?  Don't laugh darnit!!!!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic