Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411716 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 03:48:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesBabies vs Robots
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Babies vs Robots  (Read 2003 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 05, 2009, 05:31:47 PM »

The Ohrrpgce's creator James Paige plays a new Ohrrpgce game in his first video review. It isn't a particularly good game, but it has a funny premise (it's an RTS game where you control either babies or robots). I like that James is still so hands-on in the community, I can't imagine Mark Overmars making a funny video review of some random terrible Game Maker game for instance.

Fuzz
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 07:18:28 AM »

That game looks quite charming. It sounds like James Paige is really in touch with his community, not as some superior figure, but as a fellow Ohrrpgce enthusiast.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 07:43:20 AM »

Yes; as much as I love Game Maker, Overmars rubs me the wrong way. He sometimes mentions games on his blog, but when he does, he does it from a standpoint of "grading" them, judging each part and telling people what to improve. It feels a bit like he sees himself as a superior game designer to the community just because he made the engine, when his thoughts on the games he reviews and suggestions are often arbitrary, and sometimes even bad advice. He's never even made a game himself for the Game Maker, besides a few examples, whereas James created the Ohrrpgce so that he could make the games he wants to make.

(Of course, his day job is a college professor, and acting like he knows everything comes natural to such people in my experience, with some exceptions.)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 08:02:32 AM by Paul Eres » Logged

Adamski
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 08:25:02 AM »

His voice is like a lullaby or something  WTF
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 12:50:04 PM »

Here's another of his reviews, for a slightly more interesting game (but also a game created for the terrible games contest):

Adamski
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 01:09:10 PM »

2 minutes in to that video  :D Hand Thumbs Up Right
Nandrew
Level 0

Working on Cadence

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 04:19:57 PM »

Yes; as much as I love Game Maker, Overmars rubs me the wrong way. He sometimes mentions games on his blog, but when he does, he does it from a standpoint of "grading" them, judging each part and telling people what to improve. It feels a bit like he sees himself as a superior game designer to the community just because he made the engine, when his thoughts on the games he reviews and suggestions are often arbitrary, and sometimes even bad advice. He's never even made a game himself for the Game Maker, besides a few examples, whereas James created the Ohrrpgce so that he could make the games he wants to make.

(Of course, his day job is a college professor, and acting like he knows everything comes natural to such people in my experience, with some exceptions.)

The attitude he provides could be considered negative, but I've always seen Mark Overmars as stuck in a bit of a hard place when it comes to assessing his fan base. Just about every Game Maker forum out there is thoroughly inundated with brand new developers. Understandable, given the tool's accessible nature, and it's also pretty cool to see so many people trying the craft for the first time.

The problem is that Overmars is in a prime position to become jaded about people's work: I think it's quite possible that he's learned to deal with a lot of people's work like they were his students, or children. Or stuff. And because he gets locked in that mode of thinking, it's difficult for him to readjust said conditioning and treat more experienced devs as different cases.

I'd reckon that it's far easier to blanket brush everyone as a starry-eyed newbie than it is to assess individual skills, after all. Tongue
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic