Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411714 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 12:10:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesSuper Karoshi
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Super Karoshi  (Read 6459 times)
Fuzz
« on: May 16, 2009, 10:51:16 AM »

I just tried Super Karoshi (I'm currently at about level 40 or so) and while it's better than Karoshi: Suicide Salaryman, it still isn't particularly good. Everything seems to have gone downhill since Karoshi 2.0. Karoshi Factory was decent, but at this point it really just seems like he's milking the concept for all it's worth. I'd like to see some more original games coming from him. It's nice to see his 21 prototypes project coming along, though.

http://karoshigame.com/
Piranha
Level 1

capital z

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 11:13:43 AM »

I played this earlier.

It's the first Karoshi game I've played, and to be honest, I'm not eager to try another one. It reminds me of one of those flash games like The Impossible Quiz, where for a lot of the 'puzzles', you have to figure it out by slamming your hands against the keyboard or clicking everything on the screen.

I beat it though, because I'm just that awesome.
Fuzz
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 11:53:02 AM »

Try the original Karoshi and Karoshi 2.0. Both of those are amazing games that you need to play right now. Karoshi Factory is okay, not as good as the others. Don't let Super Karoshi affect your judgement of the Game Maker games.
Nandrew
Level 0

Working on Cadence

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 04:09:21 AM »

I like these sort of games in general, simply because they stretch the grey matter in different ways and encourage out-of-the-box thinking.

I can't comment on the earlier Karoshi games, as I've not played them, but if this one is truly a disappointment in comparison then I think I'm definitely going to have a look-see at the others!
JoeHonkie
Level 8

RIP Major Sebastian Bludd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 04:11:10 AM »

Karoshi 2.0 is easily the best/most creative puzzle game I have ever played.
Movius
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 07:08:06 AM »

Aside from the bug where the player keeps drifting left at a microscopic speed after the left key is released, I can't see any reason why this Karoshi is inferior to its predecessors
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 07:44:24 AM »

The puzzles aren't as good as the ones in 2.0. It doesn't play with your mind as much.

I still thought it was pretty good, though.

pgil
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 08:39:09 AM »

Played it. It was fun, although it didn't really add anything new to the series. I like the Karoshi games, but MAYBE 5 of them is enough...
Piranha
Level 1

capital z

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 08:42:26 AM »

I played Karoshi 1 & 2 last night.

I'll admit, they're a lot better than I thought Super Karoshi was, but there's still the kind of puzzles in there that were my main gripe with Super Karoshi.

The ones that resemble The Impossible Quiz.
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 10:02:15 AM »

God, I hated the last level, it took me half an hour to realize the game was already over.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 10:04:38 AM »

I like games like The Impossible Quiz, because they get you to think in different ways than you're used to. Remember how, in order to beat Psycho Mantis in Metal Gear Solid, you had to use the second controller rather than the first? I like things like that. I'm also a fan of the Karoshi series, thanks for the info on this one, didn't know of it before.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 01:45:35 AM »

I like Super Karoshi and Karoshi Factory because they actually introduce real puzzle mechanics rather than just doing more mindfuck stuff, which IMO has gotten pretty old. The mindfuck puzzles are just rehashes of stuff that was already done in Karoshi 2.0, whereas the multi-character stuff seems much more engaging to me.

Levin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 03:52:17 AM »

Played it Smiley I think it's much better than Factory and SS but, so far, Karoshi 2.0 is still the best one.  Shrug
Piranha
Level 1

capital z

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 07:56:53 AM »

Remember how, in order to beat Psycho Mantis in Metal Gear Solid, you had to use the second controller rather than the first? I like things like that.

I liked that fight too, but I think if the entire game consisted of moments like that, I wouldn't remember that one so fondly.
Curseman
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 12:26:09 PM »

I played Super Karoshi a few days ago, and I didn't think it was anything special.  It was the first one in the series I had played, so I assumed that the series was just overrated, or they at least weren't my type of games.  The puzzles were never really challenging, and the only part where I got stuck was one where you have to push a specific key on the keyboard based on some hints in the level itself.

Then after reading this thread I decided to try Karoshi 2 and it was surprisingly good.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 05:09:45 PM »

I like Super Karoshi and Karoshi Factory because they actually introduce real puzzle mechanics rather than just doing more mindfuck stuff, which IMO has gotten pretty old. The mindfuck puzzles are just rehashes of stuff that was already done in Karoshi 2.0, whereas the multi-character stuff seems much more engaging to me.
Ding ding! This is pretty much exactly the way I feel. Each new Karoshi installment has a mechanic that I generally dig enough to play through to the end. If he had just continued off of Karoshi 2.0, I probably wouldn't be playing any more. It's familiar yet refreshing.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic