Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411716 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 04:35:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGames2BeeGames Contest Entries (are really good!)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 2BeeGames Contest Entries (are really good!)  (Read 1819 times)
rekcah
Level 1

PulseBoy.com

View Profile WWW
« on: May 18, 2009, 12:00:36 PM »

Today 2BeeGames made a blog post listing all of their entries and I surprised that a lot of the entries are really good! You can check out the whole list @ http://www.2beegames.com/contest/blog_show/18 .

I was surprised to see "Auditorium" ( http://www.playauditorium.com/ ) on the list, as well as  "Aces Wild" ( http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=6085.0 ). I entered 2 games, Radial Gun and Wings Of Apocalypse, and I can tell that both will probably get over shadowed by the some of the other awesome entries.

Either way, I think its pretty awesome that they still managed to get some good entries even after the bad rep they received awhile back. They definitely seemed to have redeemed themselves by changing the rules.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 12:06:51 PM »

all of those games are now owned by 2bee games though Sad

(well not exactly but it's close enough -- 2bee has first rights to publication etc. according to their contest rules)

rekcah
Level 1

PulseBoy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 12:14:05 PM »

all of those games are now owned by 2bee games though Sad

(well not exactly but it's close enough -- 2bee has first rights to publication etc. according to their contest rules)

Naw, not anymore! They completely changed the rules. If they didn't I wouldn't have entered myself.

The major changes happened at rule number 5 @ http://www.2beegames.com/contest/rules . As far as I can tell they only reserve the right to advertise the games.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 12:23:15 PM »

I'll have to read that later, but if what you say is true then I probably should have entered. Shocked

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 12:40:26 PM »

They changed some things, but I don't think they changed the first rights thing. Will look into it though.

Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 01:50:07 PM »

ya they still get first and last right of refusal according to their terms.

I talked to them about it over email, they're nice people but I decided not to enter cause of that clause.
rekcah
Level 1

PulseBoy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 02:36:20 PM »

ya they still get first and last right of refusal according to their terms.

I talked to them about it over email, they're nice people but I decided not to enter cause of that clause.
And by that you mean that you you must offer your game for publishing to 2beegames before any other publisher right?

If so, it seems that it only applies if you win and decide to take the prize winnings. At that point you would already have offered your game for publishing since the main prize is to obtain a publishing deal and 10k. Am I right? Also when did you talk to them? I also have emailed them as well before I entered.

for those who dont feel like going to the site here are rules 5 and 6 :

5. Ownership/Use of Entries: Entrants retain ownership of the Games they submit, however, by entering you, on behalf of yourself and any Third Party Creators, grant Contest Entities the perpetual, fully-paid, irrevocable, non-exclusive license to display, exhibit, modify for use on our websites, transmit, the Games in any manner, form, or format now or hereinafter created, including on the internet, and for the purpose, of the Contest Entities and the Contest Entities’ goods and/or services limited to, the hosting of the games on the site, advertising or promotion of the Contest and the Contest Website without further consent from or payment to you, Third Party Creators or any other third parties. [This means that we will not sell your games, pictures, videos, anything else you upload or use them on another site other than 2BeeGames.com! We are just going to use it for the contest and website and to promote it. You only grant us the right to have the games up here for users to play (after the contest period you have access to your own game pages, where you can modify or delete them). We would need YOUR PERMISSION for ANY OTHER USE.] Sponsor reserves the right to post the Games on the Sponsor’s Contest Website but Sponsor has no obligation to post or publish your Game and any such publication or postings will be in Sponsor’s sole discretion. In addition, by submitting a Game, Entrants acknowledge that, by acceptance of an Entry, Contest Entities, do not waive any rights to use similar or related ideas that might be contained in a Game which was previously known to Sponsor, or developed by its employees, or obtained from sources other than Entrant. In the event of any dispute or potential dispute regarding the Entry or Entrant, Third Party Creators, or any third party, the Entry may be disqualified in Sponsors’ sole discretion. Any Game might be posted on the Contest Website in Sponsor’s discretion at any time during the Promotion Period and until the ten (10) Finalists are announced such posting does not reflect the Entry’s ranking in the Contest.

6. Prizes: There will be three winners. One (1) Grand Prize Winner will receive $10,000 and a publishing deal. The terms of the publishing deal will be negotiated between Zoo Games and Entrant upon winning. By entering, you give Zoo Games first and last negotiation rights for the publishing of the entry. If no deal is mutually agreed upon, the entrant will receive the prize money only. One (1) Audience Favorite will receive $5000. One (1) Runner Up audience favorite will receive a prize of $2500. All federal, state and local taxes on prize are the sole responsibility of the winners. The Sponsor will issue and file an IRS form 1099 in the name of the winners for the total prize value. Prizes are non-transferable.

By the way, I do not claim to understand every word so if I'm wrong let me know. Though, I am sort of on the defensive since I did enter on the notion that no rights were given up.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 03:36:44 PM by rekcah » Logged

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 03:05:33 PM »

yes, i believe it's if you win. if you win, that means that basically anyone who wants to publish the winning game will have to ask 2bee's permission first, and 2bee has the opportunity to match any offer other publishers give with their own counter-offer. so it's not a huge right to give away, but i have heard that if a publisher has first and last rights over a game often most publishers won't even consider publishing that game, so it kind of basically restricts the winning game to being either published by 2bee or by nobody.

Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 04:37:54 PM »

Right of refusal is a small right but it can also get very fishy in situations where one publisher might not offer much or only offers close to the first publisher, but has better terms attached. The one with the right of refusal can essentially put the kaibash on the deal with the other publisher.

2beegames's people seemed nice, but they are owned by a larger company (which would be the publisher with the right of refusal goes to) which I can't find any info on to judge their reputation. Without a reputation, it's really a sticky situation on whether they are out to screw some people and disappear or not.

It's just a risk I can't afford to take with an IP I care about.
rekcah
Level 1

PulseBoy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 09:15:23 PM »

Right of refusal is a small right but it can also get very fishy in situations where one publisher might not offer much or only offers close to the first publisher, but has better terms attached. The one with the right of refusal can essentially put the kaibash on the deal with the other publisher.

Yeah. I guess I agree with you there, but thats assuming that your game is so awesome that other publishers would actually want to publish your game lol. Since that's very unlikely, for us indies, I think the whole right of refusal deal isn't really going to matter much.

But then again, who knows.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic