Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 09:18:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadUnpaid WorkUrgent! Need Expert Flash Programmer ASAP!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Urgent! Need Expert Flash Programmer ASAP!  (Read 1357 times)
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« on: June 26, 2010, 06:24:29 PM »

I am a game designer/artist with a casual platform WIP that needs to be finished before July 31st:

http://cthulhu32.kraln.com/misc/phubans/SpeedDisk/

The game is fully documented, all of the assets are complete, and the foundation of the source is already written; I  just need a talented and capable programmer with the free time and enthusiasm for making games to pick up where my previous programmer left off.

You will need to write a level editor for the game based on the design specs within the first 2 weeks of starting. After that you should be prepared to add in the few remaining features (gameplay mechanics) and prep the game for online highscores and user accounts. The game will be entered into a competition by July 31st that is offering a $100,000 grand prize and/or publishing deal, among several other smaller prizes. However, the end goal of this project is to have the game ported to iPhone.

I'm sorry for the tight deadline, but I just got the email this morning from my now previous programmer who said he could no longer take on the project because it was starting to feel more like work than fun. So, I need someone who is willing to work hard with their focus on the end reward and not the transient sense of enjoyment that may or may not be experienced during development.

Please IM me or email me at phubans [at] gmail.com if you're interested. Serious applicants only, thank you.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 05:47:37 PM by phubans » Logged

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 08:03:33 AM »

he could no longer take on the project because it was starting to feel more like work than fun.

I can't blame him.

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 09:32:31 AM »

Well yeah, I understand his point of view, too... But it's also a bit unrealistic to think that projects will always be fun and easy, and that things are going to get done without a bit of hard work. I've done indie games long enough out of my love and joy for making them, but at this point I really need to focus on marketing my work to make a living. I'm currently a student with little time for a job between classes and personal projects, so it's not uncommon for me to wonder where my next meal is coming from.

When I told my friends the news of what happened with this project, it was his reason for dropping it (it being more work than fun) that surprised them the most; because they understand that anything good in this world comes as a result of hard work, not simply having fun.

I'd appreciate if the replies to this thread were kept constructive, instead of just taking sides with unhelpful remarks, since it makes both you and myself look bad.

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 09:56:47 AM »

I wasn't taking sides, rather, I was surprised by the attitude you brought. I understand your being angry with your former teammate (indeed, if you planned the game together, quitting halfway because it wasn't as fun as at first is pretty lame), but the proposition (here on TIGSource) doesn't come off as very seductive, given that it is not paid work, and the reward may or may not eventually come. So, my criticism is that you want someone to program your game, ASAP, and you want them to somehow be enthusiastic about it. It just seems like too much to ask of a stranger.

On my previous comment being unhelpful, I apologize.

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 05:47:22 PM »

Right, well I understand where you're coming from, and I'm not meaning to come off as a jerk or anything. I posted that in a panic because I honestly had no idea what else to do at that point that I found out; we were already starting to fall behind our deadline when he bailed... This meant a lot to me, as I saw the potential in this game to actually be something marketable and I pretty much had a meltdown when my guy dropped the ball. I'm sorry if that emotion came through in my original post.

I'm not optimistic at all that I will find anyone in time, anyways; the post was an act of desperation made in haste. Nothing to see here.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic