Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411593 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 09:24:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadUnpaid WorkCreative Designer looking for Flash Programmer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Creative Designer looking for Flash Programmer  (Read 1651 times)
@ben_cameron
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2010, 03:22:50 AM »

Hello,

I've just started my journey into games. After studying numerous subject including advertising, radio production and even Japanese I've decided (after some long massive soul searching) that I want to create games.

I have absolutely zero technical ability when it comes to programming, but I have oodles of creativity and a pretty damn good imagination.
I believe that my naivety and lack of skill within this industry could actually give me an edge in that I know no boundaries. The only person to reign me in will be you, the programmer.

I'll be relying on you for honest feedback and constructive critism. I'm looking for someone who can put the time in and talk online at least 3 or 4 times a week about the project. A true partner in crime rather than a hired hand.

If you feel you have the technical expertise to match my mental mentality and creative energy, please get in touch. I'm full of ideas and desperate to get something out there.

A few more details about myself:

My name is Ben Cameron, I'm 27 years old. I live in England and can be contacted through twitter @ben_cameron or theotherfella(at)hotmail(.)com

Hope to hear from you soon, Ben.

you might also want a little peek at www.strangepaul.com
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 03:31:55 AM by @ben_cameron » Logged
ghostwheel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 04:12:35 AM »

Hello Ben. I've got some bad news for you - you're not going to get a response from anyone with a message like this. You are not part of the community. If you know anything about the internet, you should know how this works. If not I will attempt to explain. You really need to ease into something like this. It's like the complete opposite of working in a company. In a company, you put in your CV, show your abilities, get hired then you get to work. In an online community, there's alot of just hanging out, arguing, drama, lack of focus, goofing around and general nonsense.

Come to #tigirc on irc.esper.net (you need an IRC client) and hang out, talk to people, idle alot and pretty soon, people won't remember a time you weren't there. If you like forums, you'll have to dive in here and start posting, commenting and that sort of thing. Some people will be friendly, some won't and some won't even be worth talking to. Hang out and after a month or two, help with some other projects (lots of people need graphic work done for their games). Then start talking about your game ideas or even better, SHOW your ideas. If people see that you've already done a fair amount of work on your own, they will take your project(s) more seriously.

Good luck and I hope I see you in #tigirc. Smiley

I Dream of Ghosts devlogs: Official and Tigsource. Finished game: Super Brick Bros 2: A Machine for Bricks TURBO!
@ben_cameron
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 04:22:01 AM »

Thank you very much for your reply and advice.

I knew that posting the way I did was a complete long shot and not likely to throw back anything positive. But it's one step.
I'll check out the link you posted, and definitely try to get more involved with the community.

Thank you again, Ben.
Cagey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 04:47:39 PM »

While ghostwheel's advice is not bad, my issue is more why would someone want to work with you. My advice would be start a game you can make on your own to prove your skills as a game designer. You could attempt to learn GameMaker or even make a card or board game. Be sure to start a development log in the devlog section.

Good luck, and have fun Smiley

@ben_cameron
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 11:04:50 AM »

I wouldn't expect someone to say 'hey, I'll work with you'. What I've been doing is discussing projects with programmers on skype. Talking and feeling out the situation to see if we could work well together.

Hopefully soon it'll all fit together nicely.

Ben
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic