Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411546 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58442 Members - Latest Member: vicemask

May 03, 2024, 05:19:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe game formerly known as Chroma
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: The game formerly known as Chroma  (Read 62008 times)
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: June 11, 2012, 01:00:52 PM »

Focus today was movement and control:

• Fixed one-way platform bug
  • Prototyped some physical mechanics with slopes but felt like crap so dropped it, got some know-how out of it though so not all lost
  • Threw in some hooks for pushing animations against walls etc. Animation/sprite looks like total ass at the moment, finding it difficult to portray animation using 2 colours and a 16x16 sprite size Tongue

Still not sure how to structure the world environment, want to get cracking with some solid level design and implementing puzzles, yet I keep ending up re-constructing the start area. Current version is not very forgiving to the new player...

In other news, indie game the movie out tomorrow. Stoked.

EDIT: Forgot I had an image...

Broken leg or what.

andotherisms
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 11, 2012, 02:11:14 PM »

Very artful and atmospheric. I really enjoy the visual and sound effects when you switch to the shadow character.
GCshepard
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2012, 03:46:03 PM »

If that's a frame from the pushing animation, the only thing I could see it needing is the reduction of one pixel between the head and arms to separate the two.
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2012, 12:53:31 PM »

Very artful and atmospheric. I really enjoy the visual and sound effects when you switch to the shadow character.

Thanks Smiley

If that's a frame from the pushing animation, the only thing I could see it needing is the reduction of one pixel between the head and arms to separate the two.

I was going for a sort of 'straining to push' look like sonic on megadrive/genesis where he's putting all he's got into pushing. Although working at 16x16 maybe I should try separating them out like you suggest.

This is what I've got right now - not seen it without all the make-up on (so to speak) and it looks pretty bad, animation doesn't seem to flow:

Peak behind the curtain here, this is what the sprite actually looks like before post-processing stuff.

I'll keep working on it at some point, any words of wisdom appreciated - I am not a great animator.

Figure I'd post less than daily in here as I realised I was posting boring shit that didn't need feedback anyway Tongue But I'll keep stuff updated relatively regularly still.

In other news IGTM was cool. Made me want to grow a beard.

Sheepolution
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2012, 01:04:13 PM »

You better be finishing this game so I can kill it with an overload of money!  Gentleman

The concept is incredible, amazingly innovative! I can't wait to see further progress!

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2012, 08:04:20 AM »

Claw, you'd be better with moving his head up & down slowly while pushing the block!
That would look way better then.

LaughingLeader
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2012, 08:56:15 AM »

I was going for a sort of 'straining to push' look like sonic on megadrive/genesis where he's putting all he's got into pushing. Although working at 16x16 maybe I should try separating them out like you suggest.

This is what I've got right now - not seen it without all the make-up on (so to speak) and it looks pretty bad, animation doesn't seem to flow:

Peak behind the curtain here, this is what the sprite actually looks like before post-processing stuff.

I'll keep working on it at some point, any words of wisdom appreciated - I am not a great animator.

Awesome game so far.

Here's an idea - For the pushing animation, you could possibly have a slower push with more struggle in the beginning, then as the push gets momentum his push animation is like the one you have there. Sort of like a "HNNGGG" type of feel at the start of the push, then the block slides easier and he moves with the momentum. That could convey the "straining to push" thing you want to go for a little easier.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2012, 09:22:15 AM »

Close the eye closer to the block, and push his face up against the block, as well, perhaps giving it a bit of 'squish', like his skin is compressing against the wall. An idea of how the squish would look is to add a single pixel to the upper-right corner of his head, and perhaps add another one above that. I think his push needs to start closer to the block, and extend further out, which would mean one or two more frames. It should be a slow push, and then a quicker 'catch up' where he replants his feet.

Great looking game, again. Keep it up!

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2012, 11:15:06 AM »

@Sheep - hah thanks Grin

@Kamac - I tried that first time round but it turned out bad, but mostly because my animation skills suck Tongue and I think it needed more frames. But I'll give it another shot, I think you're probably right he should move up and down a bit.

@LaughingLeader - Thanks, yeah what your saying makes sense, but the animation will also be for pushing against a static wall like Sonic did in them ol' classic games. If the player's pushing a moveable block the transfer of momentum will be handled so their speed will decrease at first like you say, maybe I could use two separate animation states for this though, like a begin push and constant push? Hmm..

@SolarLune - Closing the eye! I never thought about that, thanks! I'll give that a go too. I tried the 'squeezing' of his head against the wall actually but couldnt get it right, looked like he had a horn or something when I drew it Tongue Again, I'll try it once more.

Definitely think I'm gonna need more frames, and a more gradual transition between leg positions. Thanks for the input guys Smiley

I'm currently doing level the design for the first 'area'. I'm on version 3 at the moment, all 3 versions have been totally different so far but I think this ones in the right direction. I'm actually putting some puzzle navigation in now which is fun, keeping it subtle as I ramp it up - not put any 'proper' puzzles in yet.

I'm making it up as I go with the level design, so might take a few revisions and a lot of fine tuning to get it right, it's fun though - and starting to make some sense (even though I've only done a teeny tiny fraction of the map).

LaughingLeader
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2012, 11:30:47 AM »

@LaughingLeader - Thanks, yeah what your saying makes sense, but the animation will also be for pushing against a static wall like Sonic did in them ol' classic games. If the player's pushing a moveable block the transfer of momentum will be handled so their speed will decrease at first like you say, maybe I could use two separate animation states for this though, like a begin push and constant push? Hmm..

Yeah, kinda like in Sonic how he's got the "slower walk, starting to gain speed" animation, then it transitions into the "sprinting faster now" animation.

I'm currently doing level the design for the first 'area'. I'm on version 3 at the moment, all 3 versions have been totally different so far but I think this ones in the right direction. I'm actually putting some puzzle navigation in now which is fun, keeping it subtle as I ramp it up - not put any 'proper' puzzles in yet.

I'm making it up as I go with the level design, so might take a few revisions and a lot of fine tuning to get it right, it's fun though - and starting to make some sense (even though I've only done a teeny tiny fraction of the map).

How do you go about designing the levels? Do you jump straight to an editor or whatever you use to make the level, or do you rough out some ideas on paper first? Just curious since I'm at the level design stage with my current game too.

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2012, 11:41:50 AM »

I normally like to do everything on paper first. For this I've been drawing out the basic shape of the entire world, with each section that has a different purpose outlined and named. I'm trying to think of how the whole thing fits together first, then I go onto a specific area to lay that out roughly so it can lead into other areas.

Currently though I have the basic shape/layout I am going for in this starting area, and I'm just plugging it straight into a level editor. But then I'll think it over and probably take it to some paper to lay out the more intricate parts and weave puzzles into the environment, so navigation makes use of the shadow mechanics.

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2012, 08:12:52 AM »

I've got so much shit done today, feels awesome.

Past week I've just been doing level design and conceptual stuff, but today sat down to grind out some code and just blasted through loads - and the days not done, got a good few hours left Grin Gonna have an aneurysm if I drink any more coffee though hah.

Click to zoom as always. There's something subtly different about this screenshot. Actually, is it subtle? Or pretty obvious? Probably more obvious in game. I'm happy with how it turned out.

Well shit, actually two subtle things - so subtle even I forgot about one of them Tongue

Got a load of the first area done too - still need to fill out some of it to include some puzzles/obstacles and of course polish, but it's coming along nicely.

jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2012, 08:35:42 AM »

Looking good!

I see the less subtle one (closer to obvious imo). Took me about 3 seconds of looking at it to see it. However, I fail to see the more subtle thing. I'll just keep staring at it for awhile. Smiley

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2012, 08:44:15 AM »

Looking good!

I see the less subtle one (closer to obvious imo). Took me about 3 seconds of looking at it to see it. However, I fail to see the more subtle thing. I'll just keep staring at it for awhile. Smiley

Cool thanks Smiley

The less obvious one is a bit hard to see on this without being in game/moving. If you put it next to any other shot I posted it will probably become obvious though Wink

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: June 23, 2012, 06:26:35 AM »

I could really use some feedback on this:

It's probably better to see it moving - the smaller triangles are moving up and orbiting the beam in 3D space.

Any critiques suggestions etc?

Magnesium Ninja
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: June 23, 2012, 09:34:26 AM »

It's rather pretty, but does the glowing triangle itself give off any light?

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2012, 09:44:43 AM »

Not in this pic; I tried it ( and spent a while getting a multi-light system in place ) but it didn't look great. The glow effect seems to look better on a darker background and making it emit light negated this, so it ended up not actually looking as bright.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2012, 12:15:02 PM »

Looks really cool! I think the glow effect could be stronger on the light source (the triangle, I suppose).  I think that to be as bright as it is, it does need to give off at least a little green light.

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: June 23, 2012, 01:59:54 PM »

Yeah you're right, gonna have to work out how to make the multi-light stuff work better.

I basically drew the scene once for each light, and then added the results together - ended up a bit complex but worked, just seemed to make everything a bit too bright but I should play with it more.

Been working on this one scene all day, class file for this chest is an absolute mess Tongue It's getting there though.

Cheers for the feedback!

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: June 23, 2012, 10:34:02 PM »

I basically drew the scene once for each light, and then added the results together - ended up a bit complex but worked, just seemed to make everything a bit too bright but I should play with it more.

Couldn't you draw a black plane and draw the lights as white circles? Although, that wouldn't work with the special normal mapped materials...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic