Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411656 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 04:19:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Custom noise generation
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Custom noise generation  (Read 2653 times)
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« on: August 29, 2010, 10:23:33 PM »

So when I look at the wikipedia pages for, say, white noise, pink noise, brown noise etc. they have all these really pretty spectrum graphs showing sorta what the frequency response or spectrum density of the different noise types are. So for example white noise will always kinda look like:

Or pink noise will always kinda look like:

So what I'm thinking is: I know a trick for generating white noise, and I know a trick for generating brown noise. But it would be really cool if I could just, say, define an arbitrary spectral curve and generate a running stream of noise fitting that curve. (And what would be REALLY cool is if I could have that curve change over time, so say I could generate a block of 20,000 samples that start out as pink noise and end as white noise, but if I can generate noise at all I can always just do two streams and fade between them so whatever). Basically I want to start with one of the graphs above and go from there to a sound. Is there a good way to do this?

Note: To be clear, I'm working with an audio library of the type where every few ms a callback of mine is called and I return a few ms worth of raw pcm sample data.

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Izzimach
Level 0

Immersed in Phlogiston

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 08:20:26 AM »

Well, when you want "shaped" noise the easiest method is to generate white noise and then filter it.  For example, to generate pink noise you would generate some white noise and then run it through a low pass filter.  There are high-pass, low-pass, band-pass, and other filters you can apply.  You can even chain together multiple filters to get weird results.

Now generating a general noise spectrum is a little trickier.  If you have a big array that holds the spectrum shape you want, you can pretend that is a transfer function and take the inverse Fourier Transform to create an impulse response and use the impulse response data in convolution to filter the white noise.

So yeah, generating noise from an arbitrary spectrum is a mess, probably more trouble than it's worth.  If possible, try getting access to MATLAB or some equivalent, so that you can get a handle on what's going on.  I know MATLAB had (has?) a big pile of functions for doing FFTs, convolution, and filtering.

increpare
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 08:43:38 AM »

I love noise.  If you want to hear some great noise, ostensibly for tinnitus sufferers, have a look here - in particular I love this track.

FFT isn't that bad to code really.  I think that it's your best bet, mcc.  I looked into this before, and didn't see any other way.

(given that it's noise, if the spectrums are known at compile-time, it's probably not too much of a sin to have prerendered samples of that noise looping Wink ).
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 09:04:19 AM »

I know exactly how to generate arbitrary noise spectrums. It's not really that complicated. It involves a backwards fourier transform. At some point when I am not sitting in the office I will explain it.

(In the meantime, if you have a mac you can try it out with this tool.)
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 03:48:40 PM »

An elephant never forgets.

Okay, first a lesson in Fast Fourier Transforms, or FFT for short. FFT is a magic wand that turns periodic sound waves into frequency spectrums... and it can also do the reverse! Note that a periodic wave, in this context, is a wave that wraps around cleanly, so if you make a copy of it and put the copies end-to-end, the ends would meet. Most sounds that are recorded naturally are not exactly periodic, so if you read on the internet about using FFTs, you'll likely find a bunch of information on how to trick an FFT into interpreting a non-periodic wave without spewing out garbage. (If you see the term "window function", that's the trick.) HOWEVER that mess doesn't apply to us, because our objective is not to turn a wave into a spectrum. Our objective is the reverse: to turn a spectrum into a periodic wave, and a backwards FFT is perfect for the job.

Both the input and output of an FFT is in the exact same format: a one-dimensional array of two-dimensional vectors. Um, like this:

Those vectors are just random and not meaningful, the picture is just intended to show the data structure that we're working with. Each vector is stored as a pair of coordinates, but sometimes it's also useful to think of the vector as a length value and an angle value.

Again, both the wave and the spectrum are represented in this format. This is a little unintuitive, because sound waves are not vectors: we don't normally think of sound waves as having an angle, just an amplitude that changes over time. As it turns out you can safely ignore the extra axis when interpreting the data as a sound wave, and if you follow my directions the extra axis will be constant at zero anyway. However, the spectrum that we'll start with requires both length and angle.

When designing a spectrum, each vector describes a sine wave. If you set all of the input vectors to zero except for one, and then run it backwards through the FFT, the output will be a sine wave, AKA a "pure tone".

If two of the input vectors are nonzero, then the output will be the sum of two sine waves at different frequencies. Each sine wave has three properties, and these match three properties of the spectrum vectors:

1. The amplitude of a sine wave matches the length of a spectrum vector. Sometimes I refer to this as the "energy" of the wave: it's how loud it is.

2. The phase of a sine wave matches the angle of a spectrum vector. For example, a cosine wave is just a sine wave with a phase offset of 90 degrees. Note that humans generally can't distinguish waves by their phase, so in a sense the angle doesn't matter. However, if you leave the angle at zero for all spectrum vectors, then all of the output sine waves will rise at the same time, leading to a very degenerate case. I recommend using random angles to balance out the phases, but don't change the angles if you perform multiple FFTs with different energy distributions.

3. The frequency of the sine wave is determined by the index of the vector in the spectrum array, and also by how long the array is. This is a complicated relationship, but it's important to understand because our objective is to create noise, and noise is characterized by a distribution of energy across the frequency spectrum, so I'll explain in a moment...

The duration of the output wave is exactly the same as the number of vectors in the input spectrum, and performing an FFT is most efficient if this is a power of 2. For example, if the length of the array is 2^17 = 131072 vectors, then you'll end up with 131,072 audio samples, which is about 3 seconds at 44,100 hertz (this is the standard sample rate). For demonstration purposes let's stick with this duration, though you will likely decide to make it shorter.

The frequency of a sine wave is exactly equal to the index of the vector in the spectrum array divided by the length of the array. The first index is 0, and 0/2^17 = 0, so the frequency of the first sine wave is zero. This is not very useful, so I recommend always setting the first vector to zero. It's a special case. Smiley

Code:
input[0].x = 0.0;
input[0].y = 0.0;

The next index is 1, which means that the corresponding sine wave has a frequency of 1/2^17, which means that it repeats once every 2^17 samples, or about once every 3 seconds. You'll notice that this is the period of our entire output wave. Also notice that repeating once per 3 seconds is way below a human's hearing range. We can't hear any pure tone that repeats less than 20 times per second. So again, you can probably set the first few vectors to zero, (in this case the first 60 vectors) but it's not terribly important.

You can also ignore the frequencies higher than about 20000 times per second. However, if you do the math, you'll find that the entire second half of the frequency spectrum is higher than that, from index 2^(17 - 1) to index (2^17) - 1. That's okay, don't think too hard about the second half. You only need to design the lower half of the spectrum, and then afterwards you have to put a backwards copy of the lower half in the upper half. Um, just trust me, do it like this:

Code:
input[SAMPLES / 2].x = 0.0;
input[SAMPLES / 2].y = 0.0;
for (int i = 1; i < SAMPLES / 2; i++) {
input[SAMPLES / 2 + i].x = -input[SAMPLES / 2 - i].x;
input[SAMPLES / 2 + i].y = -input[SAMPLES / 2 - i].y;
}

As for the remaining input vectors, if you set all of them to have a length equal to 1 (and random angles) then you will get white noise after you perform the FFT. Technically, white noise has a flat distribution of energy across the frequency spectrum, and we represent that by setting each amplitude to the same value. However, humans are used to noise with less energy at higher frequencies, so I prefer to start with pink noise, which you can compute like this:

Code:
input[0].x = 0.0;
input[0].y = 0.0;

// Pink Noise:
float length = 1.0 / sqrt((float) i);

float angle = randomAngle();
input[ i ].x = length * cos(angle);
input[ i ].y = length * sin(angle);
}

// And finally copy the lower spectrum into the upper spectrum.
input[SAMPLES / 2].x = 0.0;
input[SAMPLES / 2].y = 0.0;
input[SAMPLES / 2 + i].x = -input[SAMPLES / 2 - i].x;
input[SAMPLES / 2 + i].y = -input[SAMPLES / 2 - i].y;
}

To generate something other than pink noise, multiply the "length" variable in the first loop by whatever you want! Then run it through the FFT and you've got your audio wave. Download some FFT library and call whatever function you need to call to perform the FFT. I've had success with FFTW, which is very fast at the cost of having a complicated API, but any FFT library should work.

Afterwards, you'll want to copy the 2D audio samples into 1D audio samples, by dropping whichever dimension is left at zero, before trying to output the wave through speakers. You'll also probably want to normalize the wave, so that the peak of the wave is 1.0. And now you're done!

...Okay that was pretty complicated after all, sorry. Tongue
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 05:17:08 PM by John Nesky » Logged
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 05:01:44 PM »

Wow, that's incredible. Thanks :D

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
alltom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 05:45:13 PM »

Thank you for the best summary of inverse FFT I've ever read. Smiley

deactivating lurk mode
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »

Gentleman

It was difficult for me to find information on how to use FFTs creatively like this. When I was figuring it out, I pretty much had to make it up as I went along, since the FFT culture is so focused on doing the opposite thing and the terminology they use is not very accessible. Does anyone know of a good place to post this so that other people will be able to find it?
increpare
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 04:42:55 AM »

Gentleman

It was difficult for me to find information on how to use FFTs creatively like this. When I was figuring it out, I pretty much had to make it up as I went along, since the FFT culture is so focused on doing the opposite thing and the terminology they use is not very accessible. Does anyone know of a good place to post this so that other people will be able to find it?
You could submit it as an article to gamedev.net?  However even it being here will be good - it will at least be on google.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic