Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411590 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 07, 2024, 04:31:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Complete Beginner Actionscript 3 Help
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Complete Beginner Actionscript 3 Help  (Read 903 times)
GruntRebel
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2010, 04:55:10 PM »

Hello everyone, as you can tell this is my first post here at TIGForums. You guys probably get a lot of these so I'm kind of expecting not such a warm welcome. >_< I'm hoping I don't come across as one of those annoying new people.

Anyways, I've recently begun searching for the best way to go about making flash games. I do have Flash CS4 and have messed with it a little, but never much on the Actionscript side. I lurked around here for a couple days and looked at some tutorials and stuff but most seem to be oriented towards people with some sort of programming knowledge.

My question is what is the best way to learn Actionscript 3 game development from being an almost complete beginner? (I do understand some basic little things though.) I was wondering if there is a good book I should purchase or kind of like a standardized tutorial people have started out with? I'm just a little overwhelmed with all the information out there.

I've seen things like Flixel and FlashPunk too, and they looked really cool. I really like the art style of the games that have been made with those tools as well. I was also wondering how feasible it is to start with something like that? Like is it easier, or harder?

I really appreciate any help offered, I'm not asking for someone to teach me everything, just pointed in the right direction. Also sorry for a bit of a long post!
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 05:31:01 PM »

Have you checked out the Flash Game Dojo?
http://flashgamedojo.com/

I think most Flash programmers don't even use Flash CS, nor do pixel artists.
GruntRebel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 07:25:37 PM »

I have checked that out, and followed the basic tutorial pretty well. I got the Hello World! to work. I'm just not sure where to go from there, and yeah I have picked up that people use FlashDevelop or other programs over Flash a lot too.
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 10:45:56 PM »

i'm not to sure what you know/ don't know already.
i've posted this somewhere on this forum

it's a stanford cs introduction course (in a simplified JAVA)
you'l learn alot , nothing game-specific though.
and its JAVA (wich is a nice OOP language) it will give you all the basics you'll need for programming, -in any language .

apart from that i think a good advice is to start very small (think pong), and as soon as possible. you'l learn as you go.

good luck!, and have fun!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic