Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411530 Posts in 69382 Topics- by 58437 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 08:25:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsVacuous - Revolutionary Space Platformer
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Vacuous - Revolutionary Space Platformer  (Read 4906 times)
JMStark
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2014, 04:31:40 PM »

So college has begun once again. I specifically planned to have a milder work load as I wanted time to continue developing Vacuous at a decent pace. Since the majority of my course work is either computer science or mathematics focused, working on the art for Vacuous will hopefully now feel like a breath of fresh air rather than a frantic marathon.

Speaking of art, I wanted to discuss color schemes again! To plan ahead, I have been creating preliminary color palettes for each of the worlds based upon my concept art.

You can compare the palettes for world 1 and world 1 alternate to the screenshots of those finished worlds I have posted in this thread to see how these palettes end up manifesting themselves. As can be seen, usually the default color schemes are rather “conventional,” while the alternate ones are a bit more “weird” (or “alien”). This is intentionally done to add an air of off-ness and mystery. Color scheme creation, especially for as wide a variety of worlds as are in Vacuous, requires intuition. Using only basic principles (opposite colors on the wheel) will lead to a small number of schemes.  Sometimes, the creator has to be brave enough to just throw a whole bunch of colors onto the screen and see which look the best together. When these colors get applied to the art, they of course will have to have other shades. These shades should not only vary in value, but also in hue and sometimes in saturation. Shifting the hue adds both color and warmth to the shading.

Anyways, these are just some insights into how I am handling color in Vacuous. I generally am talentless when it comes to art, but I think that my decent intuition for good color combinations can compensate at times. I have just recently finished adding the alternate color schemes for world 4 and 5 to the game and plan to continue marching along with the art.

Current Project: Shuffle Company
Twitter: JMRante
JMStark
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2015, 11:19:01 AM »

Ahoy there! It seems some time has passed since the last time I’ve posted. Don’t drown yourself in doubts; let me reassure you that Vacuous is still in steady production.

I haven’t had much to say with words, but if you check my Twitter account you will see my activity for screenshot Saturday. But what is a static image when you can have a .gif? I have not one, not two, not three, BUT FOUR .gifs to bless you with (the only thing missing is the glorious 1080p art):

Where is the game going from here? I submitted Vacuous to the Student IGF and I hope that will be a good opportunity to get feedback and maybe even some exposure. I said I wanted to release in January (or something to that effect) right? If you are attentive and saw that the thread header now indicates that Vacuous is around 60% done, you understand the sheer amount of work I need to accomplish between now and the 31st. Actually, at this point, the game will be finished and released this summer or maybe even beyond. I know my droves of fans might be disappointed, maybe even furious, but remember I provided four EXCLUSIVE .gif’s for you. FOUR .gif’s! You almost should be paying me for that.

Yeah, but seriously, I’m also trying to decide between either putting the game out as free (and profiting from it as a portfolio piece) or trying to go commercial with it. Would you pay for this game? Would you even download this game if it were free? Release your honesty and let me know.

JMStark
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2016, 05:07:51 PM »

Bumpity bump kiddos. Time to resurrect this two year old thread from the darkness of the grave.

So I finished Vacuous about a month ago and I am now ramping up to a release in December. For the past two years development has happened off and on, mostly with other large projects getting in the way. Some (but not much!) planned content was cut and many hours were spent. But now it is done and I am almost free!

Check out the website at: http://www.jmstark.net/games/vacuous/vacuousWebsite.html

Soon there will be a final trailer dropping that really gives a good look at the game. If you follow my twitter I talk about Vacuous a bit as well.

With a quick look at this thread you might notice that when I was actively blogging with slight regularity I was completely unable to drum up any interest. Fair enough really. This is not the most interesting project nor is it one that invites much conversation. My marketing/pitching skills currently need a lot of work.

Unlike many successful devlogs, this one seemed to keep too many secrets. While as the creator I did not want to spoil the experience of the game, I might have shown too little to get people wanting to experience it in the first place. It is a difficult balance to match. This reserved approach to devlogging resulted in me focusing my posts on the wrong things.

I also experienced, and I don't know if other devs experience this, an internal conflict between going commercial or going freeware. A commercial release comes with money for your hard work and respect, but it also plagues you with the nightmare of business, marketing, law, taxes, etc. Some people thrive on that stuff, but for me, it is absolutely insufferable. That is not a good character trait, but it is how it is at the moment.

Going freeware has the benefit of being an easier release and giving the community something without cost. It is sometimes hard to judge if it is even fair to charge for the thing you have made. It might not actually be worth anything. But freeware is even more likely to fade into obscurity, for better or worse.

When I started making this game, the saturation of games on the market was already an issue. Two years later, it has probably gotten worse. This isn't a bad thing necessarily. Creators have to find ways to adapt, to imagine new ways of finding an audience. They have to create projects that carry more weight. Vacuous is a game made with the indie marketplace of 2009 in mind, releasing in 2016. It wasn't made for any particular audience. The only guide in its creation was intuition. Sometimes, when your vision isn't very forward looking, you can fall behind like this.

But I cannot be upset. I made Vacuous for myself, first and foremost, simply because I wanted the game to exist. I wanted to learn from it. And all of that happened. Others enjoying it would just be a bonus. I have a job on the side of making games, so success or failure isn't too big a deal. At the moment, I am still a hobbyist. I have so much more to learn.

Anyways, enough of my feelings about this project. I have some integrated GPU issues to sort out, a trailer to make, and a game to launch! This is the final stretch!  Well, hello there!

JMStark
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2016, 08:30:44 PM »

Final Trailer for Vacuous:

JMStark
Level 1

View Profile WWW