Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411615 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 06:19:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignThat was a bad idea
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: That was a bad idea  (Read 11987 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2015, 12:30:13 AM »

very unrealistic imo. a real gamer simulator would be about yelling expletives over voice chat and complaining about review scores on internet forums.  Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Down Left
digsource
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2015, 04:45:16 AM »

A game about flushing toilets.
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2015, 06:12:04 AM »

yeah, game player simulator could actually be much funnier, the gamer could play the game on his/her own and it's your job to balance eating snacks, trash talking, kicking the dog, yelling at parents, holding bladder tight, ignoring phone calls etc.
depending on how well you manage all these elements, the gamer could perform better or worse at the game they are playing

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2015, 09:15:43 AM »

yeah, game player simulator could actually be much funnier, the gamer could play the game on his/her own and it's your job to balance eating snacks, trash talking, kicking the dog, yelling at parents, holding bladder tight, ignoring phone calls etc.
depending on how well you manage all these elements, the gamer could perform better or worse at the game they are playing
That's more like Gamer Manager 2015
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2015, 07:48:49 PM »

Basically any joke game needs to be over in 5 to 15 minutes so any simulation-type game can't be a joke game by definition. Jokes need to be a one-off thing, you can't make a joke last forever that gets boring and annoying really fast.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2015, 12:57:01 AM »

a dumulation game can contain multiple jokes tho, like a standup routine
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2015, 03:58:35 AM »

Sure, I'm just saying that trying to prolong a single joke over the course of a game is generally bad. Of course the cake is a lie but you get the point.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2015, 09:51:19 AM »

Basically any joke game needs to be over in 5 to 15 minutes so any simulation-type game can't be a joke game by definition. Jokes need to be a one-off thing, you can't make a joke last forever that gets boring and annoying really fast.
Stanley parable?

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2015, 09:57:48 AM »

not really, the Stanley parable is more like a big branching string of different kinds of jokes put together. Plus, the game's narrative is based on the assumption that the player will try to explore the limits of what is possible within the game's narrative, so it strives on novelty as an input from the player, which makes it almost boredom-proof.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2015, 05:10:26 PM »

NEW BAD IDEA:

"America: The Movie: The Game: The Strategy Guide"

Pre-Purchase for Early Access available 4Q 2019

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2015, 06:13:47 PM »

2D platformer with a snail. A realistic snail.

Pfotegeist
« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2015, 06:20:44 PM »

2D platformer with a snail. A realistic snail.
I was inspired to find one.
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: September 25, 2015, 06:29:09 PM »

Oh god. And it doesn't work even as a joke.  Facepalm

edit:  similar joke (but funny this time) is this 'game' http://www.addictinggames.com/funny-games/dontshootthepuppy.jsp

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: September 26, 2015, 05:11:39 PM »

I made a shmup prototype where you had three weapon slots as such
slot-
SHIP-slot-
slot-
and four different weapons (spread, rapid, missile, boomerang) with any combination possible and there was a button to cycle them.
unsalvageable mess.

I had fun making like all the graphics for it though, including title screen and bosses.

I cluttered my SHMUP with powerups & GUI elements. After much playtesting they were taken away bit by bit, leaving a minimalist game. Turns out people just like good gameplay, not riffs on design motifs.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: September 28, 2015, 10:09:26 AM »

diablo 2 has random key drops for uber bosses. http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Pandemonium_Event

its mostly just extra content but still

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2015, 12:01:45 PM »

it isn't even a bad design idea. most of the people who enjoy those games don't mind spending another hour grinding on some boss to get a key item.
it might be exploitative, sure, but a bad idea? I don't think so

I don't think bad design ideas really exist. just bad mechanics. I think you can make anything work as a game if you're good and imaginative enough.

EvilDingo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: September 29, 2015, 03:35:36 AM »

Bad design challenge:

Make a game that punishes you for losing. Make Ninja Gaiden's last level and boss fight, but instead of just going all the way back to the beginning for dying, it restarts the entire game. When you restart the game again, all enemies hit twice as hard and take twice as many hits to die.

Also, you need to count how many you killed because there is a trivia question at the end which asks how many you had to kill. If you get it wrong, it restarts the entire game. This time there are invisible enemies that can hit you but don't give any feedback when killed. You have to count them too.

Bad designs do exist.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2015, 05:32:53 AM »

it's call a roguelike and survival multiplayer game (dayZ, rust), it's popular in some circle and has reach mainstream lately.

There is no bad design, only varying tastes

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 29, 2015, 06:12:14 AM »

higher stakes = more tension
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: September 29, 2015, 06:31:27 AM »

here's some bad design from the previous version of Dota 2.

bad design choice nombre ein:
There are 109 normal characters to play as, all of them following the same fundamental rules, then there is one character able to place invisible, insta-killing explosives anywhere at all.
While playing against this hero you will randomly explode, each time you randomly die you will know that there is nothing you did wrong to cause this, there is nothing you could have done to prevent it and there's nothing you can now do to stop it happening again at any point in the future.

bad design choice numer twa:
In this team game, as a team grows in power by playing better and being more competitively skilled than their opponents said opponents will be freely given bonus gold and experience in killing any one member of the more skilled team which far exceeds the advantage reaped from being the more skilled player to begin with. Hence, the harder you try to get ahead, the harder you will lose. The only way to win is to avoid combat, avoid objectives, basically avoid playing the game for the duration of the game and hope you have made hero choices which will win after both teams have tried their best to have an uneventful time for over an hour.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic