Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411541 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58442 Members - Latest Member: vicemask

May 03, 2024, 02:18:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsINTERACTION BOY 3000
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: INTERACTION BOY 3000  (Read 7126 times)
Indiana-Jonas
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 04, 2017, 09:01:04 AM »

In this you play as Interaction Boy 3000, the idea is that you can interact 
with anything to different extents. It's going to be an open world dating game.

First semi-serious (but hopefully very serious) solo game.

I'm coding and making all the art for this myself, I will be assisted by Zack on music and sfx.

You wake up in an old abandoned attic which you get to make cozy and furnish with things you find throughout the city. You can explore everything from the rooftops to the sewers, maybe even break into peoples homes(!!!).

(please wait a minute for gifs to load)

Twitter for more frequent updates

« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 11:46:22 AM by Indiana-Jonas » Logged

Indiana-Jonas
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 07:17:25 AM »

Right now you can lift, throw and drop stuff you can also rotate the stuff while you hold them so you can furnish rooms.

The green cube is a grow-cube, you can use it to reach high places.

foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 08:08:39 AM »

I always thought there was more potential with the whole "2D sprites in 3D world" thing, which it looks like this is. (Although some parts I think are 2D looks like they might actually be 3D?)

The only other game I know like that is Um Jammer Lammy, which I always loved. Oh, and also Breath of Fire 3 and similar games of that era, I guess, but that's a lot less dynamic.

@_monstergarden (game) and @williamzwood (me)
See Monster Garden progress here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=56012.0
Indiana-Jonas
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 09:01:03 AM »

I always thought there was more potential with the whole "2D sprites in 3D world" thing, which it looks like this is. (Although some parts I think are 2D looks like they might actually be 3D?)

The only other game I know like that is Um Jammer Lammy, which I always loved. Oh, and also Breath of Fire 3 and similar games of that era, I guess, but that's a lot less dynamic.

Rigging have always been very hard for me so this was a really nice change, makes everything so much more approachable. I think the 2d and 3d blend so well because of the simplicity in both elements. The light really does it's part blending it too.

I wasn't familiar with those games before, I was very influenced by a game called Burrito Galaxy 65. It's a beautiful gem!

Indiana-Jonas
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 07:32:46 AM »

I added a quick rough shoot cube

jmas
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 07:48:15 PM »

I absolutely love this

Firstly, "open world dating game" catches me so quick

secondly, the aesthetic/art is amazing... it's certainly my cup of tea and i will follow this project so hard

and your audio guy has great taste/style!!

CrummyWizard
Level 0

hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 08:42:03 PM »

looks beautiful my dude

✰✰✰✰✰ <|:~) ✰✰✰✰✰Dev Log
Twitter
✰✰✰✰✰ <|:~) ✰✰✰✰✰
Indiana-Jonas
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 01:51:34 AM »

I absolutely love this

Firstly, "open world dating game" catches me so quick

secondly, the aesthetic/art is amazing... it's certainly my cup of tea and i will follow this project so hard

and your audio guy has great taste/style!!

Glad! Thanks! Zack is blessed Smiley

looks beautiful my dude

Thamk you Wizard

foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 11:34:46 AM »

I agree about the open-world dating sim thing...AND, this is the second wacky lovable game on here that "Zack" is making music for?! Who is this guy!? Kinda scary that we have the same name and like similar games, apparently... My Word! Gomez

@_monstergarden (game) and @williamzwood (me)
See Monster Garden progress here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=56012.0
Indiana-Jonas
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 02:07:52 PM »

I agree about the open-world dating sim thing...AND, this is the second wacky lovable game on here that "Zack" is making music for?! Who is this guy!? Kinda scary that we have the same name and like similar games, apparently... My Word! Gomez

I haven't known Zack for a very long time but he's got a lot of balls in the air ahaha

glad to hear you're intrigued by the game Zack! Smiley

ChemiKhazi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 10:07:50 PM »

Really digging the art style, following along!

Indiana-Jonas
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 01:27:22 PM »

Really digging the art style, following along!

Thank you! (couple months late reply)

Update:

I'm still fiddling with the basics, but I've decided to take a leap from 2.5D characters to 3D. But I still like a few of them being 2.5.

I'm going to use these pixel art animations as reference once I've rigged this. The face is going to be a 2D texture floating in front of the head, I want INTERACTION BOY to have lots of different expressions and reactions.

There's a climbing mechanic which I'm planning to redo from the ground-up as it's too clonky. I can also load and unload parts of the map.

Indiana-Jonas
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 10:43:26 AM »

Update:

The model is in the game now, it has a face parented to its head so I can animate it. INTERACTION BOY will have lots of different facial expressions, Mii maker is a great inspiration.

Here's a comparison between the old 2D IB and the new one. There's still some things to tweak with the model and I will probably redo the idle animation completely later. Next up is walk, run and jump animations and to actually replace the 2D IB completely.

lyon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2017, 12:56:56 PM »

Ahh I loooove the 3D model, the face is so charming, especially with the way the features slightly protrude. Definitely following this
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2017, 04:45:44 AM »

Nice art style!  Smiley
Indiana-Jonas
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 11:32:30 AM »

Ahh I loooove the 3D model, the face is so charming, especially with the way the features slightly protrude. Definitely following this

Nice art style!  Smiley

Thank you very much! So nice to hear :- )

Update:

Reworked the climbing system from scratch. Now you are much more like a spider, you rotate the character by tilting the stick horizontally and move forward by pushing forward. It's a bit tricky to steer but it's also very fun and works on any shape! You will be able to climb statues and all kinds of stuff.

Something else I fiddled with was some IK stuff. I want the character to be very responsive and have a nice sense of weight, here the chest bone move slightly faster in the movement direction.

When I go on with proper animations I want to see if I can make them more procedural. It would be nice to do them entirely within Unity, proper foot placement and other dynamic stuff. This GDC talk about the animation of Overgrowth is very inspiring:

I've also done a lot of other tweaks with player movement, I actually started from scratch because I didn't like the way rigidbodies behave. So now I'm using a character controller.  Got a custom deferred cel shading set up too (not sure what to call it), fixed some things with light that's been bothering me.
The character is shaping up quite nicely but there's still a ton to do, I want to rework the throw-system and add: wall jumps and slides (maybe wall running?), crouching, pushing, grabbing edges, spinning, etc. Can't wait to get started building the world for this, I'm super excited!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic