Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411574 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 06:25:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioMistress Increpare's Music Challenge [Briefs Out]
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
Print
Author Topic: Mistress Increpare's Music Challenge [Briefs Out]  (Read 34779 times)
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: January 25, 2009, 03:16:04 PM »

It's beautiful...

Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: January 25, 2009, 03:52:50 PM »

Kobel, I do believe I hear a tuned bass note in it.
With all due respect mistress, nearly any sound sample of a certain length may be perceived to have a tone. A piece of pipe hit with a hammer is untuned percussion, but a bunch of pieces of pipe of different lengths is a glockenspiel. I can't be held responsible if the samples I've selected sound like they have a tonal relationship.
I also wasn't aware that pad-scratching counted as untuned percussion.
I sort of assumed that everything that came in Reason's percussion sample directory would be fair game. I wanted to give the piece a little more character than could be achieved with basses, toms, snares, and cymbals alone. If we want to get picky, then would NES-style noise-snares count? It's all a matter of context and intent.

mjau, your thing rocks.

increpare
« Reply #142 on: January 25, 2009, 04:17:25 PM »

With all due respect mistress, nearly any sound sample of a certain length may be perceived to have a tone.
Indeed.  However, there is the matter of extent, and in any event the composer can choose to emphasize these pitched qualities or not where they arise.

I can't be held responsible if the samples I've selected sound like they have a tonal relationship.
I never said I sensed tonal relationships anywhere.  Merely that you used an (acutely) pitched instrument.  And, for this, I do hold you responsible.

I sort of assumed that everything that came in Reason's percussion sample directory would be fair game.
We all make mistakes.

I wanted to give the piece a little more character than could be achieved with basses, toms, snares, and cymbals alone.
I've seen pieces of, to my ears, great and varied character produced with various combinations of those instruments.

If we want to get picky, then would NES-style noise-snares count?
Yes, I would have admitted those.

It's all a matter of context and intent.
Indeed.  I found your use of this very highly tuned bass-note to be melodic in character (you seem to use it as a lead), which is why I single it out.
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: January 25, 2009, 04:21:50 PM »

This is really great!

Synnah, please write a piece of length no shorter than two minutes and thirty seconds.  The piece is to be of electronica genre (no acoustic instruments), styled on the mazurkas of Chopin.
So, at about quarter past midnight, I'm done. Not finished, but I've fulfilled the remit. Please excuse my tardiness, Mistress.

CHOON No. 1 in D Minor, Op. 12

I listened to a number of Chopin's Mazurkas in preparation for this piece, but the one that stood out for me was

which, while slightly less intricate than some of the others, is a very emotional piece. The main thing I took from it was the structure; my attempts at creating a melody as morose, despite using the key of D minor (

) fell flat (No pun intended). Still, I think it stands pretty well on its own. I composed the entire piece using piano sounds initially, which you can hear here. I think this works a lot better than the electronic version.

However, like I said, it's not finished. I spent too much time faffing around with tempo changes and note velocities, the latter of which got mostly lost when I switched away from the piano, and didn't give myself enough time to program any decent synths. So, I uploaded what I had. I'll work on it during the week, and upload something better.

Anyway, thank you, Mistress, for giving me this chance to explore my compositional ability.

Edit: God, my synths are horrible...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 04:27:52 PM by Synnah » Logged

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: January 25, 2009, 05:18:57 PM »

I'm not sure which samples in particular you're talking about, but I can hear the tonality you speak of listening to it today. My tear-stained face pressed into the concrete at your feet is the only apology I can offer.   Hand Shake Left Cry  Hand Shake Right

michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: January 28, 2009, 07:49:04 AM »

unfortunately my life has exploded with busy in the last couple weeks, leaving me very little time to figure out how to sing. i have made some progress though!!

http://ottumwatunes.tumblr.com/post/71198148/subtlerose-wwwwwwwwip

i have some lyrics and more parts planned out, someday i'll be able to come back and finish it. it was a great learning experience and has really increased my vocal confidence.

also the 8bit muse

http://ottumwatunes.tumblr.com/post/70274120/subtlerose-a-little-wip

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: January 28, 2009, 08:28:47 AM »

unfortunately my life has exploded with busy in the last couple weeks, leaving me very little time to figure out how to sing. i have made some progress though!!

That sounds really cool! Hope you finish it.

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: January 29, 2009, 07:26:01 PM »

That's really good, I don't know what you were worried about.

policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 29, 2009, 10:05:54 PM »

I love that too!

Reminds me of Katamari games.
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: January 30, 2009, 02:24:39 AM »

I guess now it's time for Mistress Increpare's Game Challenge!

*everyone sighs and collapses on to the floor in exhaustion* 

increpare
« Reply #150 on: January 30, 2009, 03:36:07 AM »

I would happily do it, though I may decide to change my rĂ´le.

Is there any other desire for such a thing as might a competition constitute?

I'll PM derek, see when a good time to 'slot one in' would be, if there be interest.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: January 30, 2009, 03:25:05 PM »

Slot one in, eh?

Personally, I like this more in the context of music than in the context of games. A song is much faster to make, and I'm sure that if the same sort of event were to be made, but with games, most people would just not finish.

On the other hand, if it were timed, kind of like the KOTM, it could be pretty interesting.

Kekskiller
« Reply #152 on: January 31, 2009, 12:38:40 AM »

Slot one in, eh?

Personally, I like this more in the context of music than in the context of games. A song is much faster to make, and I'm sure that if the same sort of event were to be made, but with games, most people would just not finish.

On the other hand, if it were timed, kind of like the KOTM, it could be pretty interesting.

I totally agree here. Also games don't have the traditional structures of music, means mostly everything can be a game. And lets think about technical aspects: not everyone can program/edit spefic features like physics or portals (okay, that's a bit over-the-top...). If there where a challenge like that, we should concentrate on logical things, simple mechanics and stuff that isn't hard to learn, but difficult to arrange! (multi-genre games or games with a specific mood/palette/quest arrangement)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic