Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411575 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 08:25:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Salvage | A lonely death on a bitter planet.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23
Print
Author Topic: The Salvage | A lonely death on a bitter planet.  (Read 139743 times)
Lehmann
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #400 on: November 16, 2011, 06:59:53 AM »

really awesome stuff. i like the concepts very much.
Congratulations, i'm keeping an eye on this project  Smiley

Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #401 on: November 16, 2011, 07:16:43 AM »

It feels like there's a tiny bit too much delay on the frame where his hand is on top of the block.

Agreed, I wanted to give a sense of weight as the bulk of the suit 'peaks', but it still needs tweaking.  I did this animation in 50ms increments, but I think a few frames need finer tuning.

Lehmann: Thanks!  Your website has some really excellent concept art, I love the robots especially! (quelle surprise)

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #402 on: November 16, 2011, 07:42:26 AM »

I do agree that that frame should still be longer than the others. I think the one with his foot in the corner of the block could be a bit shorter too, but that one I'm not as sure about. I also think the first two frames might be a bit fast.

Right now it still does looks great though.
Lehmann
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #403 on: November 16, 2011, 08:10:57 AM »

Scut: Thank you! i'm really amazed by everything you have done so far. I'm starting my first project now and i have to admit that my concepts are my strong point.. hopefully i can improve my other skills, haha

Beer!

Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #404 on: November 18, 2011, 08:29:53 AM »

Finished up a couple more hulks today.  I'll need to make a lot more things like this to salt throughout maps. 
I think while I've got my animation muscles flexed I'll switch back into sprite work for a bit.

AaronLee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: November 23, 2011, 09:16:16 PM »

Love the right design, lots of skewed/non-2d perspective and great, mechanical shape. The other hulks felt sort of like generic things  (at least the ones in the concept sketches) but these feel more real and functional.

Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #406 on: December 01, 2011, 02:12:39 AM »

...lots of skewed/non-2d perspective and great, mechanical shape. The other hulks felt sort of like generic things...

I agree but the two perspective types give different functionality.  The skewed perspective hulks will either require some labourious masking so that a player can 'enter' parts of them, or they may be completely solid.  I'll probably run some mix of the two types, because I totally agree that the hulks drawn in perspective offer more eye candy.

Tiny update, working on a death animation.  This one is only 5 frames at the moment so expect that to roughly double before I go in and texture each cel.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 01, 2011, 07:02:16 AM »

Looks good! My Newtonian-physics intuition says he tips over just a bit too fast though. A slight pause would give it much more gravitas (pun intended).
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #408 on: December 01, 2011, 12:52:15 PM »

Made me think of this.

Cool stuff. Hand Thumbs Up Right
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #409 on: December 09, 2011, 06:29:48 AM »

Some rough sketch ideas on procedural terrain generation for The Salvage.  I’m doing some ultra-simplified mockups using quick dice rolls to inject randomness.  I want to get a mental model of the most important steps for creating random yet interesting maps for the player.

Don’t take any of these as indicative of the way the game will look, they’re just sketch models, and very rough ones at that.

The rough steps I'm playing with are something like this:
1 - Create a mid-line which establishes the general pattern of the terrain.  The line can change direction based on random input, so at each point it asks 'do I go up, down, or horizontal from this point?'
2 - Additional layers are drawn above and below the mid-line which follow similar rules.  Each line uses the mid-line as a reference for direction, but uses random input to determine if it should mimic the mid-line or exaggerate up or down.
3 - Random sections of ground along the y-axis are picked to become shear points where the ground will be lifted or depressed, adding a bit of chaos into the general curvature.
4 - Caves are seeded randomly, with some caves growing using another dice roll.
5 - The terrain layer boundaries and cave edges are 'stamped' with random shapes to remove the straight geometries.

I'm not satisfied with this process, but I'm learning from it.  I think the real interesting stuff will need to come from perlin noise or something capable of fast interesting results.  What I need though is to work out procedures to edit down the amount of ugly monotony those types of terrain generators tend to spit out.  I want the maps to feel stylized yet unfamiliar.

Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #410 on: December 13, 2011, 03:19:01 PM »

That is really cool looking stuff. love your mock-up pallete choices. Well, hello there!
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #411 on: December 13, 2011, 03:31:13 PM »

Thanks dude!  How's Deshori progressing?

Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #412 on: December 13, 2011, 03:42:33 PM »

It is sleeping.
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #413 on: December 13, 2011, 03:46:51 PM »

I hope it wakes up some time.  It's a gorgeous concept.

Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #414 on: December 15, 2011, 06:03:04 AM »

I want to make some variations on parts of this animation, like a knee-shaking stagger, and a 'last gasp' after it bellies out on the ground.

(This would look so cool with some particles of dust whuffing out as the suit collapses.)

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 15, 2011, 07:59:01 AM »

(This would look so cool with some particles of dust whuffing out as the suit collapses.)
Yes. Yes it would.
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #416 on: December 15, 2011, 02:14:02 PM »

Quick edit with a few corrections and outline.

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #417 on: December 15, 2011, 03:52:42 PM »

I really like that generation method. Why don't you just prototype it with tile terrain rather than pixel terrain and use that generation method to fill with tiles of a specific type?

Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #418 on: December 15, 2011, 04:00:10 PM »

I may try that.  Mainly I'm trying to envision how the game would actually generate terrain.  I really want to avoid tiles as much as possible, I feel there's a lot of untapped potential in less gridded design.

Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #419 on: December 15, 2011, 04:02:48 PM »

I may try that.  Mainly I'm trying to envision how the game would actually generate terrain.  I really want to avoid tiles as much as possible, I feel there's a lot of untapped potential in less gridded design.

Yes. Stay with that mindset. It sounds exciting.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic