Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 06:02:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralSurvey on Single-Player Game preferences and motivation
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Survey on Single-Player Game preferences and motivation  (Read 4795 times)
Kneecaps
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2008, 01:58:36 PM »

Any. The genre means nothing, and people should think less in such restraints. If a game is good, I'll play it no matter the gender.

Sorry, I have to disagree.  I have never enjoyed Hermaphrodite games. Sad
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2008, 03:27:06 PM »

1.  Beer! What genres of games do you prefer to play?
I love all types, though I'm picky. MMO's and party, because man those are really meant to be multilayer. Shooters, fighters and Racing get an honourable mention, because some games are etter solo and some are better with more people. When playing solo I go for more story driven games.

2.  Grin Why do you like to play those games?
Solitary play let me get way more involved in the game itself as a story and world. When there are others I can't really absorb myself as much. It's as if people pull me back to reality. Any game with a really good story is better solitary in my opipion.

3.  Evil How does playing them make you feel?
Depends, when the game really draws me in I fell for the game. If it's a sad story I'll probably get kinda emotional (nothing big at all, usually), when something really awesome happens I am more inclined to be happy about it and really show my appreciation.

4.  Well, hello there! What should games do more of or have more of?
Drama. there I said it finally. I find a game is much more appealing when you can get in the characters head and almost experience what he/she experiences. Good and bad. Interactions with others help too.

5.  Tears of Joy In your opinion, what would the perfect game be like?
A game with deep connection to the story, having many paths.
A character that you can upgrade and customize and feel like your actually growing with the character. Though he/she needs a past and some way you can feel connected with.
Tons of action, that can be changed vastly depending how you choose to engage battle.
Also NPC that you can choose to befriend (or more Well, hello there!). Not just a shopkeeper or some dude that follows you around. People you can talk to just as a friend and/or add to your group and go out and adventure with. Uniqueness is a must. Pivotal and non-pivotal are fine.
A world like yet unlike ours, so the player feels he knows the place, but not so much that you fell like you've seen this all before. Adding species, monsters, having magic users, and a steampunk setting are all great examples.

6.  Cool Choose a word to describe you as a gamer... Explain why.
In terms of solitary games...
engaging.
I like to feel as I become part of my games, something that very seldom happens. I find out as much as i can about my games, the world, charters, history. There are games that don't require this for enjoyment, but I still like to know.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2008, 03:26:16 AM »

1.  What genres of games do you prefer to play?

I generally veer towards 2d pixel platformers, action orientated games, shmups, puzzlers, adventures and quirky arthouse games that don't really fit in any genre. I don't rule out any genres, although I do tend to play less RPGs and even less strategy and simulation-type games.

2.  Why do you like to play those games?

It depends on the game and its contents. Sometimes I like to play a game purely based on its atmosphere (eg. Shadow of the Beast), other times I enjoy the choices I am given (Iji), while other times I enjoy the frantic action and large amount of comical touches. I like to be challenged.

3.  How does playing them make you feel?

Mostly good, sometimes frustrated. The games that I really enjoy are rewarding experiences.

4.  What should games do more of or have more of?

Choice. Mixture of genres. Experimentation and risk.

5.  In your opinion, what would the perfect game be like?

I wouldn't know until I've played it. In my head, I would probably say some sort of vast exploration pixel platformer with all kinds of abilities and things to do thrown in with some unique gameplay mechanics. That really isn't set in stone for me.

6.  Choose a word to describe you as a gamer... Explain why.

No idea. The question doesn't make a lot of sense.

Jolli
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2008, 04:43:09 AM »

1.  What genres of games do you prefer to play?
All the action genres. Mostly fps. I try them all

2.  Why do you like to play those games?
It's probably the only genre of games that gives a fuck about quality(in terms of everything)

3.  How does playing them make you feel?
Challenged... or frustrated?

4.  What should games do more of or have more of?
More attention to weapon detail and combat. Guns should feel like guns. Lot of games are lazy on this   Lips Sealed

and More scripted battle sequences. I like feeling chaos going in the background.

Good art directions, and I'm not talking abstract BS. Art direction that has it's Own style(i.e. NOT Celshadin) and a good level of quality(lazy is not style)

5.  In your opinion, what would the perfect game be like?
A shooter with
no dumb physics puzzles

Yea. I don't know.

6.  Choose a word to describe you as a gamer... Explain why.
gameart... fancier...
 Roll Eyes
DjangoDurango
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2008, 05:59:57 AM »

1. What genres of games do you prefer to play?

I'm not especially picky. I prefer first- and third-person shooters but not military-themed games. I also like 2D platformers. I dislike RPGs and racing games, but not games in which you sometimes have to race (except in the case of Mafia, in which the racing mission sucks epically and I am grateful there is only one of.)

2. Why do you like to play those games?

Many of the third- and first-person shooters are open-worlded to some extent and allow for general fucking around as opposed to linear gameplay, so I feel like I'm getting more for my money. Since I'm a big girl now and have to pay for my games with my own money, that factors into the type of games I like. Platformers are something I grew up with. As a child, I spent years playing Super Mario.

3. How does playing them make you feel?

Depends on the game, really. It's rather like watching a movie to me. Sometimes you finish one and it's just okay. Others you might want to play again. Then there are those ones that you finish feeling as though you just witnessed something IMPORTANT, if you know what I mean.

4. What should games do more of or have more of?

Really, I'd just like to see games in general deviate from the norm and take more risks. But that's really dependent on the players, as mainstream games can't afford to do this if the players don't shell out for it. As I said, though, I generally buy shooters nowadays because games are fucking expensive and I can generally expect to get my money's worth if I buy something I am familiar with. It's a vicious cycle of sucktitude draining on the potential awesomocity of the medium.

Something that fixes all of that bullshit would be nice.

5. In your opinion, what would the perfect game be like?

Rockstar Games Presents Transmetropolitan.

6. Choose a word to describe you as a gamer... Explain why.

Frugal.

My collection of mainstream games is comparatively small by virtue of my lack of fabulous wealth. If I'm going to buy a game at full price, I need to know all about it beforehand. Many games don't make the cut and I have to wait for them to go down at resale.

My PS2 collection will be massive shortly, though. GameStop isn't even keeping them on the wall racks anymore; they're going the way of the N64 cartridges.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2008, 06:57:57 PM »

Strategy and action. I think that covers just about anything.
They're fun.  Gentleman
A good game will make me satisfied, a great game will make me thoughtful, an amazing game will leave me moved.
They should have simple mechanics that lead to deep game play.
There's no such thing.
Analyst. I like games that give me something to think about even when I'm not playing them.

theBeardedDemon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2008, 11:04:49 AM »

Smiley Thanks for the input, guys!  Smiley

After reading the posts and reviewing my notes from interviewing some other gamers, I changed the subject to Maslow's Hierarchy of needs and player motivation. The paper came out great and blew my professor away.

Using my knowledge of how the human brain-meats work and video games,I explained the connection between some of our built-in "needs" and how we play games.

By the way.. Yes, the paper did get an 'A'...

Evil It's not over yet... Because of a lack of time and paper length constraints, I wasn'nt able to get into the detail I wanted.  Angry Stupid 3000 word limit... Angry

I\\\\\\\'m a bad Kitty... meow...
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2008, 11:17:41 AM »

Shall this be contributed to the internets?

Microwave
BANNED
Level 0

i'll stir fry you in my wok

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2008, 11:57:12 AM »

GENRE: i only play 3D animated vore games

WHY: o nly way i gan get off

OTHER COMMENTS:
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2008, 03:16:24 PM »

Gentleman Okay, here we go... A couple of questions for those who wish to participate. Gentleman
Are you actually going to read these all?
I'm not really a genre person. I like short games. I like a degree of separation between my entertainment and reality (too real = bad, war simulation = bad, painfully real physics = bad). I don't like the gritty games. I generally don't play games that have steep learning curves or that take forever to play, with the possible exception of games with excellent story and character like Psychonauts or Beyond Good and Evil, in which case I will take time out of my schedule to play it.
I like games that leave me feeling "up" and that don't take a serious investment of my already strained time to play.
"Up". Like I said.
Colors. And Levels. Why don't games have clear levels any more? Who decided that the game narrative needs to be one long mind numbing world that you never know when to hit save and quit for the night and instead end up playing until your bladder is screaming at you, you realize you've got only 4 hours before work, and that you skipped dinner?
Level based Archon like juxtaposition of Strategy and Action with conversation elements in a space setting that employs brightly colored 3D graphics to bring to life a universe with a Douglas Adams-esque sense of humor, written by Fred Ford and Paul Reich III.
Busy. Wife and 3 kids.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2008, 06:53:14 PM »

I don't think he needs more answers...?

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic