Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 12:46:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralChristmas stories
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Christmas stories  (Read 2785 times)
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2008, 05:45:35 AM »

So hey, Christmas is like just around the corner and it is kind of a tradition in our family that our father reads us some cheesy Christmas story about how Jesus and God are the most awesome guys ever.

This year, my father tasked me with getting and reading a Christmas Story, and I'm currently looking for one that's NOT about Jesus or God or anything, but more about the peaceful "everybody is nice to each other" mentality of Christmas. Thing is, I don't really care about the whole Jesus thing that much. Christmas is about hanging out with my family, having a good meal and just the general atmosphere for me.

Basically, most Christmas stories go like "Poor persons are struggling to enjoy christmas, suddenly an even poorer person shows up, poor family sacrifices their christmas to help poorer guy, poorer guy turns out to be Jesus and saves the day."

The lesson learned from such stories usually is "Be nice to other people because one of them could be Jesus."

However, this Christmas I want to read them a story where the lesson is "Be nice to other people in GENERAL".

So, do you guys know any stories that aren't overly religious or overly commercial? Or really just your favorite christmas stories (if any). I've already found two that would probably be good for the evening (both German) but I don't really like them THAT much.

Also, go away, Grinch.
Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 06:40:10 AM »

Gift of the Magi is the standard one that we do.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 06:52:21 AM »

The lesson learned from such stories usually is "Be nice to other people because one of them could be Jesus."

:D  I laughed way too hard at this

tweet tweet @j_younger
increpare
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 07:04:07 AM »

It's also german, with religious content, but what about the little match girl?

admittedly there isn't a 'be nice to other people in general' message there directly...

okay...maybe not the best story...having trouble thinking up a better one though...
increpare
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 07:08:37 AM »

oh!  the ant and the grasshopper Wink
Kneecaps
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 01:18:16 PM »

Not really a favorite story, but my parents force my family read along with an audio cassette recording of The Polar Express.  Every Christmas. Angry
The-Imp
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 01:26:03 PM »

Make one up as you go.
Record and put it on Vimeo and Youtube.
PLEASE.
 :D
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 01:29:23 PM »

Or you could just read one of the Christian stories and every time Jesus' name pops up, replace it with "Murray."

tweet tweet @j_younger
The-Imp
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 01:30:14 PM »

Or you could just read one of the Christian stories and every time Jesus' name pops up, replace it with "Murray."
:D

That could work to.
In fact, do that. Replace God with Bob.
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 05:40:46 AM »

I don't know any specific anecdotes or book titles, but you could always try and find something to do with the first Christmas in the trenches during world war one.

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
Snake
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 07:07:01 AM »

As for stories, Ebeneser Scrooge is a classic, though I don't know how much religion commes into play. The little Match girl is also a good one (as increpare mentioned). There's plenty of others, a google search brought up a good few hits. I'll post more if I remember some.

Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 12:13:03 PM »

However, this Christmas I want to read them a story where the lesson is "Be nice to other people in GENERAL".

There was bit in one of the Kurt Vonnegut books (IIRC Palm Sunday) where he was complaining about this very thing. Unfortunately I don't think there was an actual story on the subject, because reading your family Vonnegut for Christmas would have been awesome.

As Snake says though, there's always Christmas Carol, though it's probably a bit long (not sure, how long is it? I've never actually read it).

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 12:21:07 PM »

Snake wins with that pic.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
increpare
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 12:23:49 PM »

(not sure, how long is it? I've never actually read it).
circa 80 pages
increpare
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 02:20:44 AM »

the cat carol

seems not unlike what you were looking for...slightly religious, but seems to emphasize generosity in general?
Vegetable
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2008, 09:20:58 AM »

WTF

This may be the best thing I've seen on the Internet.
The-Imp
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2008, 09:25:32 AM »

As for stories, Ebeneser Scrooge is a classic, though I don't know how much religion commes into play. The little Match girl is also a good one (as increpare mentioned). There's plenty of others, a google search brought up a good few hits. I'll post more if I remember some.
... That's AMAZING.

You are on my artists to be jealous of list now. I don't care if it's just an edit, it's hilarious.
Nulldorf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2008, 11:50:57 AM »

Every year since I can remember:

http://www.amazon.com/Dad-Ran-over-Frog-Christmas/dp/0830819010

Make sure you read it with the pages toward your audience mom-came-to-read-to-my-second-grade-class style.

Ain't no Christmas like "My Dad Ran Over a Frog" Christmas.

(The one new copy is $600...maybe e-book is available?)

*Leaves computer to call dad and tell him to put that sh** on e-bay*
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic