Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411601 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 11:37:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDark Souls and Bloodborne
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 355
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls and Bloodborne  (Read 535027 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6620 on: May 15, 2016, 12:55:31 PM »

oooh yeah, another tip regarding defensive play: don't try to tank through attacks. backtrack and make use of choke points (kinda like you would play a roguelike actually haha).
DJFloppyFish
« Reply #6621 on: May 15, 2016, 02:56:17 PM »

experiment with as many as weapons as you can in the early game. everything is viable if you upgrade it fully. also get comfortable with the notion of stat scaling.

dont feel like you're missing something if you get shrek'd by starter enemies, the game is all about learning your enemies capabilities.
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6622 on: May 15, 2016, 03:05:26 PM »

Explain stat scaling please

Also I found a shopkeeper guy in Undead Burg.  I used the bonfire to respawn the enemies to farm souls so I could buy the item box and the residence key.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6623 on: May 15, 2016, 03:19:26 PM »

Explain stat scaling please

I already explained it in another post, but OK, I'll explain it in more detail: You know how in most RPGs, Strength affects how much damage you do with weapons? In Dark Souls, there are 4 different stats that affect weapon damage and each weapon is affected differently. You can see how much a weapon scales with different stats in the weapon's stat window. It's called "ParamBonus" in Dark Souls 1, but no one actually calls it that lol.

For example:

The stat icons under "ParamBonus" are, from left to right: STR, DEX, INT, FTH (you can also press the select button or "back" or w/e the button is called on an xbox controller to bring up tooltips).

To the right of those stat icons are the weapon's scaling ranks for each stat. "S" is the best rank (typical Japanese game quirk) and from there it goes alphabetically from A to E. "-" means no scaling.

So for example, this bandit knife's damage scales weakly with Strength (E) and very well with Dexterity (B). It doesn't scale with Intelligence or Faith at all.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 04:46:49 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
DJFloppyFish
« Reply #6624 on: May 15, 2016, 04:44:08 PM »

im jelly that you're just starting out, i wish i could erase my memory of ds1 and replay it fresh
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6625 on: May 15, 2016, 04:52:47 PM »

I figured people would care about my stumble bumbling around the world of Darksoulia

I died to the bridge demon so I spent some time grinding in Unduck Burg and I got a short sword and a spear and a cool hollow shield.
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6626 on: May 15, 2016, 04:56:54 PM »

I figured people would care about my stumble bumbling around the world of Darksoulia

I died to the bridge demon so I spent some time grinding in Unduck Burg and I got a short sword and a spear and a cool hollow shield.
Stat scaling: "Raw Gem" can infuse weapons to they do more damage but lose stat scaling. Worth it for earlier on in the game. Weapon scaling can improve as you level them up though, so YMMV.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6627 on: May 15, 2016, 06:10:37 PM »

youre talking about the wrong game haha. no gems or infusions in this one. he's not even at the point where he can upgrade weapons yet.

that said, raw is an upgrade path in dks1 but is imo not worth it unless youre really really want to use a weapon you don't have the stats for. especially because you can't reverse upgrades in this game and materials are rare.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 06:16:40 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6628 on: May 15, 2016, 07:32:40 PM »

I keep going back and forth between DeS and DkS1. There is an item in a not quite hidden chest that makes the taurus demon very easy.

Not long after dealing with him you will find a cheap not quite boss you need to be really cheap against, in regards to exploiting his leash range.

Back to des, i get ankoyed by the long travel to get to the adjudicator, who is annoyingly cheap. Wish there were bonfires or at least a shortcut.

I noticed that you can upgrade armor on dks unlike des. Is it worth it?

Aslo des smiths are cooler than dks blacksmith.

Love the shortcuts on dks. I wish i could actually explore the ruins underneath the firelink shrine. The ghost dudes make it actually annoying.

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6629 on: May 15, 2016, 07:55:26 PM »

@Alevice

Upgrading armor is pretty worthless, but you might as well when you're at a point where you have nothing else to upgrade.
I'm surprised you say Adjudicator is cheap. I went in blind and beat him first try without getting hit at all... of course I had a bow.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6630 on: May 16, 2016, 04:56:43 AM »

a lot of people will probably disagree with me, but ancient wyvern is one my favorite bosses in the game. i wish souls had more bosses like ancient wyvern or micolash that integrate level design in some way and a bit less dodge rolling in square arenas.
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6631 on: May 16, 2016, 08:16:25 AM »

I think ancient wyvern could have been better. Now it mostly involves dodging few hordes of serpent men. Conceptually I think Dragon God from DeS was more interesting thought it too was a bit flawed and annoying.

@Alevice
I disagree with Thomas Finch about armor upgrading. IMO you should prioritize your weapon upgrading but after that upgrade your armor at least few levels unless you master dodges and can confidently evade everything.

DJFloppyFish
« Reply #6632 on: May 16, 2016, 11:21:43 AM »

Ancient Wyvern was annoying mostly because those serpent men are OP, but I agree it's a cool idea. I always wished they developed more on the idea of starting out above a boss and having to deal with its ranged attacks before getting into melee range, like the leechmonger and adjudicator fights.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6633 on: May 16, 2016, 11:43:07 AM »

btw i actually took a long time to realize these long necked rag wearing guys were serpent men. IM SMART.

i also took 2 playthroughs to realize that the enemies in shaded woods are supposed to be lions lol
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6634 on: May 16, 2016, 12:51:30 PM »

I always though the Shaded Woods enemies reminded me of Bob Marley and called them "ganja men".

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6635 on: May 16, 2016, 01:03:17 PM »

their official theme song:

Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6636 on: May 16, 2016, 01:58:57 PM »

after a few playthroughs, i have to say, i think nameless king is one of the most fun and challenging boss fights in the whole series, if not the most. I also enjoy the incredible attention to detail in his character, all the information in the area, and the cutscene during the boss fight (watch his hand just before he finishes off his injured pet, just a subtle little motion but it makes it very clear his hesitation and how heartbreaking it is to him to do this, I honestly kinda felt bad after killing him as much like priscilla you're given plenty of warning to turn back and he clearly does not want to fight you until you go out of your way to challenge him, which there was very little reason to do as he's not one of the lords of cinder)

Getting ready to make my first attempt at a SL1 NG+7 all bosses run, my soul is kindled and ready i think, though due to how elemental weapons now scale with magic stats i think this will probably be the hardest game of the series to pull it off in.

-Fuzzy Spider
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6637 on: May 16, 2016, 02:30:49 PM »

SL1 NG+7 all bosses run

Shocked

may the flames guide thee
DJFloppyFish
« Reply #6638 on: May 16, 2016, 02:33:18 PM »

Yeah, he's fantastic. One of those bosses that hits on every level. The music, the visuals, and the lore all come together in a really awe-inspiring way for what is already a really solid boss fight gameplay-wise. Just wish I could control the camera in the first phase better, although I'm still glad the first phase exists cause it's a great ramp up to the more standard 2nd phase.

SL1 NG+7 sounds hard as balls. I'm not sure I'd want to try that. I'm still unclear with how difficult I find this one to be. I'm killing NG+ bosses on my first attempt, but I'm getting hit way more this time around. I'm probably just unfamiliar with the combo chains of bosses, but in any case it feels like the more aggressive enemy types are way more brutal in Souls combat than they were in Bloodborne. 
ag radley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6639 on: May 17, 2016, 12:06:18 AM »

nameless king was probably the best boss in dks3 imo, but my best experience fighting a boss was still black dragon kalameet.

btw, what are your thoughts on rosaria being gertrude? the implication seems pretty heavy especially given the man grub by gertrude's cage.

and is there any interesting lore on ocelotte? it seems like queen lothric is gwynevere, making lorian, lothric, ocelotte, and gertrude/rosaria her children.
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 355
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic