Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411606 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 06:36:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignLooking for some advice
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Looking for some advice  (Read 4434 times)
GColumbu
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2023, 06:35:19 AM »

Hello!   

My name is George, and I'm 23 years old. Recently, I graduated from university where I studied computer science. For my bachelor's degree project, I decided to create a 2D pixelated game called EpicRun, which I absolutely loved working on. My dream is to become an indie game developer, and for my first major project, I want to develop a mobile game for kids with graphics similar to "Clash Royale" or "Clash of Clans." While I'm proficient in programming, particularly Java which I also use at work, I have limited knowledge about game development

I built the EpicRun game using the libGDX framework in Java, and I became quite skilled with it. I did everything from 0 and I was quite thrilled with the finished product, even scoring a 9.5/10 for my degree with it. Since this will be my first significant project, I want to ensure that I document everything thoroughly from the beginning. The game I'm planning to create will be for mobile platforms, and I'm uncertain about whether I should continue using a framework like libGDX (which supports mobile game development) or switch to a game engine like Unreal (I will have to learn this one, but from what I've seen I don't expect to be a major challenge). I've heard various opinions about the advantages and disadvantages of each option, and I would greatly appreciate any insights you can provide.

Additionally, I want to mention that I actually paid for the graphics in EpicRun because I lack artistic or design skills. Considering that replicating the art style of "Clash Royale" won't be a simple task, I'm wondering if I should hire someone to handle the artwork for me, which would save me time, or if I should invest the time to learn how to do it myself and save money. I would greatly appreciate your feedback and insights on this matter.

Can you help me make a decision? Thank you!
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2023, 03:32:07 AM »

Why do you want to make games?

GColumbu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2023, 11:53:41 PM »

It's fun. I spent quite some time on the game I talked about and I really enjoyed it. Seeing the finished product, knowing your effort went into it, makes it worth it.
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2023, 12:26:31 AM »

Is it fun to practice art?

GColumbu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2023, 12:48:54 AM »

On the art part, not so much. I heard a lot of opinions that like anything else, you can learn making good art. However, even though I would like to be good at it, I need to face the fact that it would take a lot of time and I'm not really sure it's worth it. I was thinking to start with placeholder art, then decide on the go if I can do it better or pay someone else.
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2023, 12:07:19 AM »

"Worth it" as a preposition here is about if it is going to be fun, since that is your goal. Why do art that isn't fun to make unless you want someone to like your game? You want to have fun, so it doesn't matter if the game is presentable. Parties are fun, you don't necessarily post videos of yourself partying to potential business partners.

GColumbu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2023, 02:41:20 AM »

Well even though I agree with you and it is fun, my end goal is to release this game. I have an idea that I think will catch.
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2023, 08:23:31 AM »

Releasing a game isn't really fun, usually, so you may want to clarify what your goals are. If you want to make a hit, and make a game that launches and goes viral and sells millions of copies, you are not going to have a fun time, so you need to re-assess what your goals are.

Edit: even if your goal is to finish a game and just release it because you can say "I made that" you have to wonder how hiring an artist fits into that goal because you can release a game with art that isn't commercial grade and say "I made that"
« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 08:28:54 AM by michaelplzno » Logged

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2023, 02:29:12 AM »

It may be worth noting that it might be possible to "split the difference": depending on your desires for the game, you might be able to find royalty-free artwork.

Now, this has its own challenges: offhand, those of finding art that suits your game, of finding art that works well, and potentially of selecting art-packs that work together.

But with some creativity (and perhaps flexibility in your choice of art-style), it's possible that this will allow you to avoid both engaging in something that you find unenjoyable, and paying professional rates for a project that seems like it's primarily a hobby.

Alex N.
Level 1

game dev!? so you play all day?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2023, 11:32:31 PM »

Hey George! Congrats on your graduation.  Coffee

Good topic, good replies from the community so far.
There are a couple of questions that you need to ask and answer yourself:

1. How experienced are you regarding making games?
2. How experienced are you regarding running a business (with 0, 1 or more employees)?
3. How well are you doing regarding finances?
4. Are you in at least one TIGHT social circle that will help you with visibility, publish the game, reach your target audience?
5. Are you in it for the money?
6. Do you have a plan B, or C for when shit hits the fan? (I assure you that it will)
7. How strong is your mental?
8. This journey will take you many years, and in the end you might end up only with years, people and opportunities lost. Are you up for the ride?

I'm sure there are many more questions but these are the ones coming to mind first. Your question is simple, but the answer is pretty complex, I feel.

I've been making games (art, not code) more or less serious since ~2000, so if I can travel back in time to 23yo me with my current knowledge, I would first find a well paid job in arts, become more active into game dev communities, make a legal company BY MY SELF with no CO-founder/s, HIRE (contract and everything) someone to code my game idea that is already fleshed out on paper, reach every publisher out there ASAP.
Instead I half-assed it and went nowhere.... well somewhere, but not where I wanted to initially.

Hope this helps! Gentleman

2D Artist & Animator - https://www.behance.net/AlexNae

I used to be here often:
The Underground King  > https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=60979
Game Of Foot  > https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=58338.0
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2023, 05:26:33 AM »

your portfolio is really good Alex, I'd love to see a tv show animated in your style, assuming the writing was good.

Alex N.
Level 1

game dev!? so you play all day?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2023, 05:54:52 AM »

your portfolio is really good Alex, I'd love to see a tv show animated in your style, assuming the writing was good.
Beer! Appreciated Michael! A tv show is clearly out of discussion for me. I worked on a couple that got canceled and it's an unrealistic amount of work, stress and uncertainty for very little money.
What you might see, hopefully and eventually is a finished game. At least one.

2D Artist & Animator - https://www.behance.net/AlexNae

I used to be here often:
The Underground King  > https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=60979
Game Of Foot  > https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=58338.0
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic