Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411593 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 10:12:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDasher - Mobile platformer
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Dasher - Mobile platformer  (Read 3222 times)
Anton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2016, 02:28:20 PM »

New version again !

What's new :
  • I've tweaked the Dash. The game should be easier now
  • I've done some optimization and I think the game is smoother now thanks to that (there's still work to be done though)
  • I've added the very start of an option menu (there is nothing in it yet)
  • I've tweaked the background, it dose now look a bit like mountains with paralax. I still need to tweak it on a level by level basis
  • When replaying a level, you will now see you're previous inputs, making it easier to work your speedrun routes
  • I've integrated Unity analytics, I'm not sure if it work properly yet.
    The idea is to collect data when players complete levels so I can see the difficulty curve
    (btw: this mean that if you try my game I'll get some data over the web)
  • I've tweaked some levels that I didn't liked

Next week
I'll continue to tweak levels and see if analytics works properly. Also I'll do a bit of UI to make death a bit more rewarding.
If I have the time and courage, I'll add a left handed mode in the settings menu.

Cheers !

Anton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2016, 02:50:36 PM »

New version!

What's new
  • Remade some levels that were to hard for new players
  • Added end game menu transition
  • Added death menu transition (I'm not 100% convinced by it)
  • Added a left handed mode in the settings menu
  • Added a delete save button in the settings menu (usefull for debug and quick playtests)
  • Added past inputs when retrying a level you failed (I think there might be somes bugs but I haven't been able to reproduce themes)

What's next
Unfortunatly, if I want usefull data from unity analytics I will need to pay. I can't afford that right now so I will need to track events on my own server (this require quite a lot of work with tech that I don't know well).
There still are some levels I don't like so I'll continue iterating on the level design
There is a handfull of bugs that I need to fix.
I need to redo the UI at the end of a level to make it more rewarding when you beat the champ time or when you improve your best time.
I need to do some captures to upgrade this forum post, the game has changed since I've started this devlog.
Also I need to implement the progression mecanics (finishing a level to unlock the next one).

Next week I'll try to focus on the level design and maybe some minor bugs.

Cheers !
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 03:01:12 PM by Anton » Logged

Anton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2016, 04:09:59 PM »

I've uploaded a new version (http://bit.ly/2fkVFsi)

What's new :
  • I've not worked on what I said and instead decided to change some fondamentals on the game.
    the game now plays in portrait mode on phones. this should reduce the friction to play and make the game easier.
  • I've recieved my IPhone so I was able to do  the first build on IOS (unfortunatly, due to the way apple lock everything, I can't share it -.-)
  • Aside from that I've implemented my own tracking system.
  • I've continued to work on the level design

For some reason the web build is broken, I need to fix this but this is not my priority.
I begin to like the levels I have.
I I'll someday post links to my game elsewhere to gather more data through my analytics.
I feel kinda down on this project. It's been more than five month since I've started working on the game and I dont know if I'll be able to sell it. The probleme is that I work for a big game company and I'm not allowed to concours my employer. leaving the company would make no economical sence (plus, i like the project I work on). The only option I feel I have is to release my game for free. this make me kinda sad at the moment. I need time to think about it.

Whats next :
  • I think I'll try to focus again on the level design
  • Also I need to redo almost all the UI since I've changed the orientation of the game
  • I need to make more videos and more screenshots of the game to be able to showcase it

Until next week !
Cheers!

Anton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2016, 05:34:13 PM »

Hey!
A new entry in the devlog to say I'm not done yet with this game.
I'm still working but lately it has been slow. The mood isn't at the top these days.

Anyhow:
I've worked on the UI a the end of a level, adding some effects and trying to get the thing more compeling. It is not good yet but I think I'm finally onto something.

My goal is still to have a version beta of the game for december.
I have a few milestone to get to before that. The main one would be to finally implement the level progression.
I might do that this week.

Cheers!

Anton

PS: the last version for android http://bit.ly/2gtq1Iy

Anton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2016, 09:43:22 AM »

Hey!
Still not dead yet =)
I'm still working on this game.
It has been more than one month since I've updated my dev log but I wanted to wait until I had something to show.
So, here it is :
The open Alpha for Dasher.

I hope to get some feedback on this version as it has the basic features of the game.

What's new:
There is a new interface and a lots of level tweaks. I've also fixed a ton of bugs.
Most of my last month is invisible though since it was a lot of metadata stuff. Basically I've been doing videos and screenshots of my game to have something to show.
Also I've written the description of the game for the app store (and play store).If you're making a game by yourself, don't underestimate this task. It took me a lot trials and errors (as you may have already guessed, I'm not good at english)

What's next:
Initialy I wanted to have finish the game by march. but seeing the pace at wich I'm progressing, April is probably closer to reality.
I still have to make the game work on iphones (this will cost me 100€ for the ADP).
I have to do a lot more levels. to do so I need a new mechanic to make the game feel fresh

Anton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2017, 04:05:51 PM »

Hello,
I'm still working on Dasher even though I dont post much here.

What's new
  • I've finnaly got the official authorization to make a game by my employer! this make me very happy and relieved.
  • I've added two new mechanics :
    • The key and key block.
    • The dash refill powerup.

With that I have all the gameplay tools I need for the game.
  • I've reworked the Iphone version and it work now.

The beta an android worked well enough for me. I got about 45 players (mostly friends and familly). I even got some constructive and encouraging feedback.

On IOS (Iphone) it will take some time as I need to do an other batch of promotional assets for the app store (and this took me a long time the first time).

Also I'll need a "Privacy Policy" for my game as Apple is quite scary with this and I don't want to be ban from the app store. since I don't know anything about what I should put in, this will also take me some time.

So far I have 46 levels.I plan to do about 20 more.
After that I'll do the Hard mode.
To do the hard mode I'll pass on every levels and make a harder version.

The last pieces of the puzzle will be the Speedrun mode (a reward for finishing the game) and the IAB (the one and only pay wall of the game).

Since I live in France, I'll probably also need to declare a self micro business to avoid any legal trouble.

There is still a lot to do but I think I can do it.

Concerning my devlog entries :
I wish I'd do more. The probleme is that they take me quite some time to do since english isn't my primary language (and I'm a slow writter anyway).
I think I should try to do the screenshot saturday to motivate me talking about my game.

anyhow : see you soon and keep on Dashing !

http://i.imgur.com/wtOhWWO.gifv

Anton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2017, 11:22:40 AM »

Hey I did it !
I finished my game!
after one year of work on my free time.
the game has less feature that I initialy wanted, but it is out!
I both want to sing out loud and to crawl in my bed.
Now start the part where I need to tell everyone around me I did a thing.

I'm exhausted

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic