Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 11:06:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioTestify! Classify! (Who actually does what around here?)
Poll
Question: What style of music do you generally write
Chip tunes - 9 (20.9%)
Electronic - 11 (25.6%)
Folk - 4 (9.3%)
Pop - 1 (2.3%)
Rock - 4 (9.3%)
Classical - 3 (7%)
Hip hop - 1 (2.3%)
Polka - 0 (0%)
Experimental - 4 (9.3%)
Other - 6 (14%)
Total Voters: 35

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Testify! Classify! (Who actually does what around here?)  (Read 6119 times)
Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 08:18:59 PM »

I originally made stupid punk when I was sixteen, but since then I've veered into drone, ambient, anti-folk, and chiptune territory. I've mainly released my drone stuff because I feel all self-conscious about my guitar-playing, in the past year I've actually spent time formulating computer music than shredding Sonic-Youth chords.

supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 10:16:14 PM »

I think this is kind of an interesting poll.  As musicians we're often encouraged to be proficient composing music across multiple genres, but at the same time I think the best advice anyone ever gave me was to "find your voice."  In other words, if you can figure out what makes you stand out as a composer, and you hone that and become known for that particular style, then you'll be able to find a lot more work.  I think this is pretty true... when I went to that "demo derby" at GDC, about 90% of the music we heard was Hans Zimmer style orchestral music.  The music was lovely, and it certainly took a lot of talent to compose and arrange; but when your demo sounds very similar to most of the other demos out there, your talent is often overlooked as a result of lack of distinction in sound and style.

This poll kind of got me thinking about that.  Like many of the other composers here, my first reaction was "wait, I can't just pick one!  I'm versatile!"  But in the end, I chose the one category that is often frowned upon by other composers because of the negative stigma associated with it: Pop.  Although pop has a lot of connotations, the first word that comes to my mind when I think of it is "melodic."  And although something like, "Zombies on your Lawn" is obviously pop, a lot of my instrumental tracks that fit into the NES/SNES style have a lot of latent pop-qualities as well if you look closely (in terms of melodic structure, chord progression, beats, etc.).  I didn't want to pick Pop, but I'm kind of getting used to calling my music that these days, negative stigma or not Tongue

Anyways, cool poll... it got me to think more deeply about musical style and what latent qualities define various genres of music.

Laura Shigihara | Composer and Game Designer
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter
Audiosprite
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2010, 07:05:42 AM »

I don't think the phrase "find your voice" was really any indication that you should find a style of music and stick to it. Your composing "voice" is sort of the harmo-melodic method by which you function. Finding your voice is learning to analyze your compositions and to develop that method.

medieval
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2010, 07:31:29 AM »

Right now it's mostly blues I play, and some rock, though I'm very interested in going more in-depth in classical and metal.
supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2010, 09:42:55 PM »

Quote from: Audiosprite
I don't think the phrase "find your voice" was really any indication that you should find a style of music and stick to it. Your composing "voice" is sort of the harmo-melodic method by which you function. Finding your voice is learning to analyze your compositions and to develop that method.
I think you misunderstood my use of the word "style."  To clarify, I do not mean "find a genre and stick with it."  When most established composers give this advice they generally mean you should figure out what stands out about your music and hone that, so that you have something unique and special to offer; something that defines you as a composer.  It can include everything from developing melodic structure and chord progressions, to combining particular genres of music in a unique and compelling way, to using certain instruments or vocals, and everything in between.  Joe Hisaishi for example has a very distinct style; a lot of folks can easily tell if something is a Hisaishi piece based on a number of elements. 

I was commenting that this poll made me think more about musical style because I was trying to see which genre my music best fit into... as a result I reflected a bit on what qualities (latent and otherwise) define particular genres to me. 

Laura Shigihara | Composer and Game Designer
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2010, 03:55:36 AM »

Mainly do chiptunes because it's a lot simpler. I don't have to go about, searching for instrument sounds and VST(i) plugins. I could just alter certain properties of a wave shape and I got an "instrument".

That's still no excuse for not broadening my horizons, which I'm practicing orchestral. So far, no luck.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2010, 05:01:18 AM »

I conveniently describe my music as Death Math Thrashjazz Chip Revivalstep with a bit of Progressive Neoclassical Doomspeedcore thrown in for good measure.
Nitromatic
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2010, 05:21:11 AM »

I am really into chiptunes, and even I am not that skilled with other genres, I try to make my chiptunes have more atmosphere. I want that listeners will feel something when they listen to my music. But it's not always like that!

Synth + Music Progam = Just what I need.
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2010, 08:18:17 AM »

I conveniently describe my music as Death Math Thrashjazz Chip Revivalstep with a bit of Progressive Neoclassical Doomspeedcore thrown in for good measure.

"Death math", "thrashjazz" and "neoclassical doomspeedcore" are three of the greatest genre names I've ever heard. Now I want to hear some...
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2010, 08:57:15 AM »

"Death math", "thrashjazz" and "neoclassical doomspeedcore" are three of the greatest genre names I've ever heard. Now I want to hear some...

"Jungle-Industrial-Pussy-Punk" <- One genre. :D

Paint by Numbers
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2010, 09:28:18 AM »

Although, that one's just something someone came up with when they didn't want to go to the trouble of actually describing themselves properly. It doesn't really capture the feel of the band too well.
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2010, 09:32:36 AM »

Although, that one's just something someone came up with when they didn't want to go to the trouble of actually describing themselves properly. It doesn't really capture the feel of the band too well.

MSI? I think it kind of describes them well.

Paint by Numbers
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2010, 09:38:09 AM »

The punk and kind of the jungle part, sure, but it doesn't really have the mood of most industrial, and "pussy" says nothing about anything.

But I don't want to derail the thread with whining about genres, so I'll just shut up now.
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2010, 09:40:43 AM »

The punk and kind of the jungle part, sure, but it doesn't really have the mood of most industrial, and "pussy" says nothing about anything.

But I don't want to derail the thread with whining about genres, so I'll just shut up now.

If you listen to the first album it's very industrial, like all industrial. As for pussy, probably just through it in their for fun.

Paint by Numbers
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2010, 10:00:45 AM »

I haven't heard their first album, but as for "pussy", that was my point, that it doesn't actually say anything about their sound.
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2010, 10:11:25 AM »

The same could be said about genres like alternative. Alternative to what? Or indie.

The pussy part could be an argue that they're less 'hardcore' than punk bands.

Paint by Numbers
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2010, 12:22:08 PM »

Maybe.
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2010, 01:18:30 PM »

Maybe.

Possibly.

Paint by Numbers
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2010, 03:11:42 PM »

Maybe.

Possibly.

I kind of doubt it, actually.
Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2010, 03:18:05 PM »

Nah.

I once labeled one of my tracks "8-Bit Drone Doom styled after La Monte Young" so I don't take genres too seriously. They're more of a suggestion than anything.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic