Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411589 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 07, 2024, 02:02:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioMaking levels based on music
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Making levels based on music  (Read 1461 times)
RichardisRaving
« on: October 04, 2010, 05:40:09 AM »

So I want to make a simple platform game in order to learn Lua programming. I've been playing a lot of nes lately so I wanted to make it using the limited palette of colors available. I got a cool little dude sprited up and then it hit me... I have no idea what I want the levels to be. I already knew I wanted the music to be chiptune like but with a bit of a modern edge. Then I had a great idea! What if I make the music first and have friends and family listen to it and ask them to envision places that it reminds them of. Then make the levels based off those places! Would anyone here be interested in helping me do this? All you would have to do is listen to some of my music and tell me what kind of place it makes you think of. I would greatly appreciate it!  Gentleman

EDIT

http://soundcloud.com/richardisraving/lvl-1
http://soundcloud.com/richardisraving/lvl-2
http://soundcloud.com/richardisraving/lvl-3
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 10:12:45 AM by RichardisRaving » Logged
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 11:06:19 AM »

Apparently I'm pretty good at this, so if you want me to listen to it I can. I can also give you a defining colour for the track/level too. :D

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 07:29:55 PM »

Sounds cool.. sure, I'm in! Smiley

RichardisRaving
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 10:15:50 AM »

Apparently I'm pretty good at this, so if you want me to listen to it I can. I can also give you a defining colour for the track/level too. :D

Okay that would be cool! The levels could have a color theme. Thanks everyone for the replies. I edited the top post with three tracks I'm working on. They aren't finished but I feel they will convey the message.
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 05:51:39 PM »

lvl1 - A beach.

lvl2 - An isolated place.. like a cave, or a forest at night.

lvl3 - Some sort of factory or military complex. A closed construction with lots of wires and technological stuff.

Hope that helps. Smiley

noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 08:46:32 AM »

Hmm, let's give this a shot!

Level 1: Okay, I'm not sure about this one. On one hand, it kinda has that green! happy! vibe going to it, but yet the chord progression gives it dissonance, complexity, it almost feels like the reprisal to the green! happy! where the bad guy decides to take a backhoe to your happy hometown. But would that be fitting for a level 1?

(actually, it kinda would, now that I think about it...)

Level 2: The drums have a very percussive, mechanical feel here, loads of reverb. I'm thinking abandoned factory here, but Tuba's suggestion of cave would also definitely fit. Maybe it's the bad guy's old base?

Level 3: I'm not gonna lie, I'm feeling meat cave here. Pulsating, glowing, tense, a dark red aura. Could also work as a dark boss theme, if you would desire to go that route... (

pulled it off pretty well)
Reggie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 04:55:43 PM »

Lvl 1: Beach.
Lvl 2: Definitely underwater.
Lvl 3: Pirate ship.

I swear, I wasn't trying to make those in a sequence, it's just what I heard.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic