Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411595 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 04:16:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs27 Red Pixels - A Romantic Platformer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 27 Red Pixels - A Romantic Platformer  (Read 447 times)
Willroar
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2014, 01:19:30 PM »

Hey there, I've been working on my first video game for about two weeks. Programming, designing, and everything. I figured it would be fun and helpful to start a development diary, not only to share but also get feedback as I move forward. So here's the info dump and some previews.

Title: 27 Red Pixels

Genre: Platform-Puzzler

Logline: After reaching the love of your pixelated life, you trigger a glitch that sends you falling through the floor and scatters the red pixels that make up your heart. Now you must find your way back to your love while piecing your heart back together, bit by bit.

Current Status: Pre-Alpha

Engine: Game Maker Studio

Planned Features
Horizontal Movement
Jumping & Double Jump
Static Platforms
Moving Platforms
Moving Platform-Static Platform Collision Squishes Player
Instant-Kill Spikes
User-Placed Blocks
Control-Sensitive Removal of User-Placed Blocks
User-Placed Checkpoints
User-Placed Block-Sensitive Removal of Checkpoints
Wall-Sliding & Jumping
Pause Menu
Main Menu
Level Selection
Level locking & Unlocking
Scanline Overlay Effect

Options Menu
Fullscreen Option
Customizable Resolution
Customizable Controls
Customizable Volume
Xbox Controller Support
In-Game Cutscenes
C64-Themed Loading Screen
Parallax Scrolling
Load System
Auto-Save System
Turret Enemies
Roaming Enemies
Flying Enemies
Death Animations
Victory/Death Screens
User-Placed Block-Sensitive Player Sprites*

*The red pixels filled in on the character sprite linked to the number of red pixels collected

The main feature of the gameplay, which can be viewed in the latest bit of footage below, is the ability to use your red pixels (the "user placed blocks"). You can place them below you as blocks to provide elevation, change the course of moving platforms, provide safe landing over spikes, and (eventually) smash enemies which will consume the pixel along with it.

These features are just mechanics. The only artwork near-finished are the player animations and the menu animations. I'm not really dealing with artwork or level design or music until I have the mechanics implemented. The levels in game at the moment are just slapped-together test arenas while I try get the game functioning and relatively stable.

Also, as a note, I'm not being completely lazy with GM. I am not using the drag and drop features, I am doing everything through code. Obviously still limited but not nearly as much and as someone who has no other experience with code, it's been a great beginner-step.

3 Days Into Development, v0.001

14 Days Into Development, v0.02

Earliest footage and most recent to show the progress. Warning about the latest footage, the framerate and quality is lower since my computer wasn't playing well with my recording software. The game is fine, my computer is not.

Anywho, I'll be working on the save/load system next. Hope you guys and gals enjoy this.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic