Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411595 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 07, 2024, 06:31:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsReflections on my first flop as an indie developer
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Reflections on my first flop as an indie developer  (Read 2570 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2014, 01:05:01 PM »

sure, of course they come from search, but *why* are people searching for those games? for most of that 67%, people search for a game by name. they heard of that name somewhere

by press i don't mean magazines, i mean primarily the internet games press, which includes let's players and video reviewers, and streamers, as well as podcasts and similar

Chris Koźmik
Level 5

Silver Lemur Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2014, 01:37:14 PM »

I doubt mobile players watch videos or read reviews before buying a game (too much hassle for something that costs $0.99). At least I know not even one such player among my friends. They do so for PC games through.

Stellar Monarch 2 (dev log, IN DEVELOPMENT)
Stellar Monarch (dev log, released)
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2014, 02:35:34 PM »

Snood isn't ugly. Gradients and textures are cool as hell.

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2014, 06:06:48 PM »

I doubt mobile players watch videos or read reviews before buying a game (too much hassle for something that costs $0.99). At least I know not even one such player among my friends. They do so for PC games through.

well, pc games are often 99 cents or less as well, on the humble bundle or steam sales. i watch a game's trailer and read reviews even when deciding whether to buy a 99 cent steam game

in any case, the idea that press doesn't matter for mobile game sales is baffling to me. can anyone name a hit iphone game that *did not* get reviewed by the press? that's almost an obvious contradiction when you think about it

besides, even if for some strange reason it were true that press didn't matter for mobile games, if a mobile game does well enough you will eventually want to release it on other platforms, where you presumably believe press does matter. many hit iphone games are also available to play on PC and consoles

RobertKessel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2014, 11:48:09 AM »

At this moment I only care about iOS platform. Of course if the game makes a hit, I would think to port it to other platforms, but again, that's in second place right now.

Support Noir Run launch, a furious (60fps) arcade for iOS and get a free copy of the game -- it\\\'s free and easy -- http://epocu.com/campaigns/noir-2/
Vallar
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2014, 12:36:04 PM »

I agree with ஒழுக்கின்மை's list 100%. I didn't want to post a long wall of text and that is why I posted only the links... but here goes:

I haven't released anything on the mobile world (yet), but I have read postmortems and checked a lot of posts from various developers as well as conferences (namely Casual Connect) for the past few years. Here are the there ways any game has succeeded so far:

1- Lucky enough to get a publisher.

In this case, you are either a lucky company/person where a publisher notices your game. The publisher initiates the contact and asks you if you need one. You agree on the terms and that is that. The publisher takes care of everything there is about the game marketing, you just have to give them a percentage or whatever the deal it. In some cases, they'll request that you'd implement some kind of API if they have that kind of presence in the App Store.

2- Lucky enough to land a publisher.

This is the more common one when you don't want to do the dirty work yourself. You get a list of publishers on the App Store and start mailing everyone of them about your game. However, you'd need a good following or a VERY interesting game with "social" potential to land one. So if your game doesn't generate some kind of income, there is doubt a publisher would be interested (again what I read). So in your case, if there are no IAP (In App Purchases) and you are releasing it for free, don't bother contacting King to publish it for you -- for example.

3- You become the publisher.

This is where you are now. You gather the fans, you market the game, you do everything basically. It is the hardest form and the one that requires A LOT of luck (or at least some connections). This article details how you can get the press to notice you. Despite that, there is no guarantee this works. In the end you can contact everyone on earth and it doesn't work out (I for one haven't heard of the game in the article until I read the article... though it isn't like I know every game there is in the world... but just so you know how it may end). So you'll need prior to your release to have everything set up (presence on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, IndieDB mobile version, GameJolt, your own website with a forum of your own for example, etc...)

Once you've done that, you start generating a buzz through trailers, competitions, offers, beta tests, etc...
This should provide a ground for testing the waters so to speak, if you have a good number of following you can hit something like Epocu and see how long it takes you to hit your target. The time it took you to hit the target and the size of the target should give you an idea of where you stand in terms of popularity... there you decide either you want to hit the market right away or wait for more buzz.

There is also number 4... but I doubt it applies to this situation... but it is the Tim Schafer effect. As ஒழுக்கின்மை mentioned, your popularity and track record. Tim Schafer created a Kickstarter campaign, had basically nothing to show people and all he said was something along the lines of "we are going back to the roots of Monkey Island, come back me up". He got 3.3 millions while asking for 400K. Why? Because people have been a fan of his work for a long time and have been wanting to get a new game like what he used to create.

The good news with this is, if you decided to go "the famous person effect" route... you can. You just need some connections with someone known to players. So let's say (for example) if you know the designer of Angry Birds and he showed up in a trailer or posted on your blog/Twitter, this game is cool count me a player, now every single Angry Birds player will be jumping hoops to get to play your game (in a sense and not literally).

Read Derek's Yu talk about the remake of Spelunky... if I recall correctly Jonathon Blow (creator of Braid) helped them out a bit with an extra push (albeit the game was great as is).

Yet, all that is nice and dandy but without quality of the trailer / website / promotional materials as ஒழுக்கின்மை said... it won't work as good as it would be expected. Yes, it might work (Snood is an example as he mentioned before) but you don't want to take a gamble... you want to do everything perfect so your chances would align better.

I understand that you read that 67% of the downloads came from direct search in the App Store... does it tell you that they were searching for the exact same name as your game? As far as I know the word "Tappy" is a pretty common name (one of the first clones for Flappy Bird was Tappy Bird).

After all said and done, whatever we say doesn't matter. I believe some of us are still trying to understand this whole thing as much as you do. We aren't here to bash you, nor are we here to say this is wrong or this right (at least I know I am not trying to do that), we are just trying to give you a different perspective and a different way to view things. We just hope it may help. Since if you succeed then we have a hope to succeed too, I guess Smiley.

PS: Sorry for the long boring post ^_^

dqhendricks
Level 1

There is a small mailbox here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2014, 01:13:45 PM »

Every indie game dev has this experience. Usually more than once. This is pretty expected when you have literally over 20,000 apps releasing each month. Quality and luck seem to be the main factors if you do not already have an established presence. Especially visual quality. If your game is not in the top 50 quality-wise, out of the 5,000 apps released that week, then it's hard to be surprised when a game doesn't do very well. Reviewers get over 100 emails a day asking for reviews, and maybe cover less than 1% of that.

I don't think this is really an industry for people who are hoping to get rich. I think it's extremely difficult even to reach a point where you can sustain game development without a day job. There are few enough indie devs who have gotten rich, that you can probably know them all by name. That says a lot considering the sheer enormity of the indie dev community. The barriers to entry are beyond low, and everyone has heard the success stories. The result is a flood of hopefuls, sort of like the music or book industry. Game dev is art in that way. People know these things, but they keep on doing it anyways. Not for the money, but because they enjoy the process of it. They enjoy the idea that someone might appreciate the work they put in to it. Their talent.

Keep your chin up. We are pretty lucky to be in a position where we can make games at all. Probably don't waste money on ads unless you have something extremely special on your hands. If people resonate with your game, you will know it. If you have something that makes your story different and interesting when compared to the thousands of other indie devs, get that story out there. Get plenty of feedback about your game long before release. Know that someone out there appreciated your work, and don't forget to take a moment to enjoy that feeling.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 01:47:41 PM by dqhendricks » Logged

RobertKessel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2014, 03:32:50 PM »

Vallar: thank you for your thoughts and sharing your experience. I appreciate the time for writing such long comment. Honestly

dqhendricks:
We are pretty lucky to be in a position where we can make games at all.
You got me with that quote. Totally agree. Personally I'm living a quite balanced family/work life (but complicated one) and I make games in my spare time for the joy of creating things. I have been a programmer since I was 9 (now I'm near 40) but I have always been a creative guy, exploring rare concepts.

Game development is a fascinating form of art.

Support Noir Run launch, a furious (60fps) arcade for iOS and get a free copy of the game -- it\\\'s free and easy -- http://epocu.com/campaigns/noir-2/
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic