Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411593 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 10:05:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBullet hell/SHMUP prototype
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Bullet hell/SHMUP prototype  (Read 766 times)
BatzStudio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 14, 2014, 01:55:47 AM »

Here is a small demo of my "Bullet Hell/SHMUP" prototype, which is my "blow-off valve" weekend project :D

http://devlog.batzstudio.com/bullet-hell/bullet-hell.html

Please note that all patterns are adjustable (type, bullet spawn ratio, bullet speed, bullet type, count etc.) so this does not represent all possibilities.

Also I've made 2 types of aiming :
- Continuous (seeks player constantly)
- LockOn (seeks player, locks and shoots whole pattern, after shooting, seeks again)

Use Q and E to change pattern, and WASD to move ship.
Also, don't worry about getting hit, I've turned off collision in this demo

This is still early prototype, for the proper demo, I'm planning to make mouse and gamepad support too, and enable controls adjustment (binding, sensitivity, acceleration etc.) because that's probably one of the most important elements in these games.

Hope you like it Smiley
Please comment Smiley
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 03:29:57 AM by BatzStudio » Logged
8-Bit Ape
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 04:04:54 AM »

I want to play it with collision on! Some really nice bullet patterns.

What are aiming to deploy to? PC and Mobile?

Looking forward to seeing this progress. What ideas do you have for art?
James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 05:37:18 AM »

Great shot patterns, Batz. I really like the feel of the semi random spread ones, do you think those could be level designed around well? Of course, who doesn't love bullet-hell style spirals and such, hehehe.

What are your ideas for enemy movement patterns and player weapon shot patterns?

I think this game should be about scifi fire fighters, trying to put out living fire aliens/spirits. separate from the game play which would just be a bullet-hell shmup, lots of the background elements could get harmlessly set on fire by enemy attacks and put out by the players attacks while you shoot at enemies, just to dress things up visually.

Hehehe, sorry, I just want to see more fantastical firefighting games out there and I can only make so many games.

Pike `n Shot  the first pshmup ever made. Twitter:@JamesEdSmith
BatzStudio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 06:38:51 AM »

@ 8-Bit Ape - For now I'm aiming to deploy to PC, but I might make a version for tablets too. Follow this topic, I'll post all updates here.. I believe it will be playable next week (at least a basic gameplay elements). About the art, I've still not decided should I go with 3D or 2D, but I'm pretty sure I won't make a pixel art game. If I go with 3D, I'll probably aim for some kind of cel shading look.

@James Edward Smith - I'll be making some more bullet types, player shooting and basic enemy movement this week. Btw. your idea about firefighting is great :D Sadly, I've already decided on a story/setting, more updates soon :D
8-Bit Ape
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 09:35:31 AM »

+1 to cel shading! (the game I'm making uses cel shading...) Wink
Kolba
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 11:36:07 AM »

Really like the flower patterns, and the random spread ones. A bit of randomness is good. Feels like I'm dying not only because I haven't played before and haven't learnt the patterns yet, but because my reflexes need sharpening.

Ky.
Level 0

Programmer & Web Slinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 11:42:20 AM »

I will simply never understand why the Unity3D Web Browser Plugin, doesn't exist for Firefox or Chrome while running on Linux. I mean come on Unity, you publish TO Linux

*sigh*

BatzStudio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 01:41:28 PM »

Thanks!
Yeah, I've added those random patterns to "Introduce a little anarchy" Tongue

@RedactedProfile - Didn't know that.. If that's the case, that's just plain stupid. Is there a workaround, like Wine or something (I didn't use Linux for ages, so I can't remember)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic