Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411713 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 10:00:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesAnother Metroid 2 Remake released
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Another Metroid 2 Remake released  (Read 5934 times)
readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2016, 12:07:50 PM »

I really did try to get everything! I did! I got 82%. I'm not very good at finding really hidden stuff it seems.
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2016, 06:07:42 AM »

If someone manages to make something as good as this, using copyrighted material, why don' they then use OpenGameArt or other venues and launch an original game?

I swear I want to slap the developers of these kind of projects for wasting their talent on a project bound to die.

Yeah.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2016, 06:24:18 AM »

love for the franchise and shit. been there done that, no regrets.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2016, 07:31:06 AM »

it's approx 10,000x easier to attract and keep a group of people organized and driven to finish a game for free when it's a fan project, for reasons that shouldn't have to be explained

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2016, 08:39:04 AM »

I swear I want to slap the developers of these kind of projects for wasting their talent on a project bound to die.
The developers of fan projects aren't wasting their talent, they're refining it, it's the people that shut them down that are wasting their talent. Those are the people you should want to slap.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2016, 09:54:17 AM »

#IstandWithFangam

readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2016, 10:54:02 AM »

it's approx 10,000x easier to attract and keep a group of people organized and driven to finish a game for free when it's a fan project, for reasons that shouldn't have to be explained
True that.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2016, 11:03:28 AM »

besides, the game isn't dead anyway, it just can't be downloaded from the official site.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2016, 11:18:39 AM »

Let a fan tells his story

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2016, 05:05:40 PM »

She has exactly the same role in this game than in other M

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2016, 05:01:18 AM »

The developers of fan projects aren't wasting their talent, they're refining it, it's the people that shut them down that are wasting their talent. Those are the people you should want to slap.
No, I kinda want to slap BOTH.

I get that working with people gets easier if you have a joint project that you can all relate to, by making a fangame, but one knows that Nintendo is not that lenient with fan games. They knew they wouldn't make it to the end, still they went on.

All in all, it's a waste on both ends.

Yeah.
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2016, 05:04:53 AM »

aren't these developers doing it for a possibility to be hired by nintendo?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2016, 05:10:57 AM »

Nintendo has been very lenient with fan games in the past. I got my start in gamedev as part of the zelda fangames scene and we never got a single C&D. it's only been very recently that nintendo started cracking down hard on fan projects.

And how is it a waste? As has been said, the game is *out there* and can be downloaded. the only thing they can't do is monetize it which was never the plan to begin with.
Alessio
Level 0

Visual Artist

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2016, 05:59:59 AM »

Yes they are. No matter how many years you take to make a game, if it's a fangame you're be surely going to have trouble with copyright, just as with let's players. This happened with Pokemon Uranium too. Seriously, why don't spend ten years making an original game rather than making actual games? You could sell them, despite fan games. It's sure you grew as a game designer but next time make a game, not a fan game.

Then, why can't Nintendo even try to protect their own IP? Unlike Trademarks, Copyright can't be lost but i believe you may have problems over it when you really need to protect your IP. Especially when this guy has made a remake of a very old Gameboy game you can buy right now on 3DS' Virtual Console and released it completely for free. That doesn't sound alright. At this point, Nintendo is totally right to remove it. Will not make Nintendo bankrupt but will damage sales.

Now many justification i've read around the web are "But he could have hired him" or "Why didn't Nintendo get the rights from this guy and released it as a virtual console game?" "SEGA did hire his fans" and i only have issues with these.
First of all, this was made in Game Maker: Studio. GM, right now, doesn't have a WiiU exporter. Second, when Nintendo makes a game i believe they use their own engines. And with this one would reply "But why then didn't remake it using this fan-remake as base?"...

It's a terrible idea, i believe.

I've the feeling that Nintendo just doesn't want to take other people's fanworks and release them as their own. If they want to remake Metroid 2, they will create their own assets. And will not need Mr.Guasti for this, nay, i believe they DON'T want it.
Would you like it if you made a fangame and Nintendo used it for their games... pretending they're the creators of these games?
I belive that, rather than taking a fanwork for itself, they just don't let you publish them at all.
Nintendo would create new bosses instead rather than copying the ones seen in AM2R. They'd copy some assets from Zero Mission (like the player's sprites) or create them from scratch. Then, if Nintendo hired everyone who could make a Nintendo fan game, how many people would they hire? They already have a recruitment system. Or, maybe they would aknowledge my work but... i'm afraid i'd not see a cent, since it's not my IP. Therefore, i'd not like any of these, i'll jump directly into making my own game isntead.

And SEGA? Oh yeah they hired two Sonic fan game creators... yet SEGA has been disrespectful to consumers for a lot of years and they really don't know how to use Sonic. And have taken down other fanworks as well. They changed mind? Maybe i don't know the full story, though. I prefer Nintendo does keep coherent instead.

At this point, i'd follow the roots of the creators of Freedom Planet: his main creator used to make Sonic fangames but lost interest and decided to create something similar but also very different, with his own IP. And he succeeded! They have the glory of having their own IP. My ideal game is more similar to Mario but doesn't have turtles, mushrooms, floating bricks, coin-blocks or coins that gives extra-lives.

Now call me a "Nintendo Fanboy" or "Fascist" but my stance over this is strict and rigid. I would be be annoyed if someone made money off my works (many youtubers) and would put a policy like Nintendo did if i wanted to be "magnanimous". If someone makes a good fangame of my game, i'd be both annoyed and amazed. Annoyed because he can't do this and wouldn't let him to. Amazed because i'd recommend him to create his own IP instead. The fact that Nintendo is a multibillion dollar company doesn't justify the fact you can break its copyright policies... not even if you do it for charity.

As i've pointed out, i'm very strict over this. If you want to have problems with companies or authors, that's your problem. You may be lucky but it's better you create your own content instead of using someone else's one. Copyright isn't a kid's toy.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2016, 06:28:49 AM »

Then, why can't Nintendo even try to protect their own IP? Unlike Trademarks, Copyright can't be lost but i believe you may have problems over it when you really need to protect your IP. Especially when this guy has made a remake of a very old Gameboy game you can buy right now on 3DS' Virtual Console and released it completely for free. That doesn't sound alright. At this point, Nintendo is totally right to remove it. Will not make Nintendo bankrupt but will damage sales.

that's bullshit. you are not obligated to "defend" your IP. you are not obligated to defend your trademark either btw, that's a myth propagated by trademark trolls to justify their behavior.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2016, 06:36:41 AM »

If IP defense is a myth, then what is the motive to crack down on the fan projects of late? There has to be a reason for this, right?

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2016, 06:47:19 AM »

If IP defense is a myth, then what is the motive to crack down on the fan projects of late? There has to be a reason for this, right?

As far as I know, AM2R and Pokémon Uranium have both been given DMCA takedown notices for their download links, but neither creator has been issued a C&D, so they can still continue to work on the projects. Nintendo waited about a day before issuing either takedown, so it's possible that might be some kind of roundabout endorsement; they're minimally “protecting their IP,” but the game has already been distributed at that point, and people can just upload their own copies and spread the download links.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2016, 06:51:43 AM »

The remake is murky grounds to be honest. If the free fan remake is regarded superior to the paid gameboy port, why would most people buy it then?

Its likely they dont want it so easily distributable, even if they dont really have a beef per se.

Alessio
Level 0

Visual Artist

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2016, 07:51:52 AM »

that's bullshit. you are not obligated to "defend" your IP. you are not obligated to defend your trademark either btw, that's a myth propagated by trademark trolls to justify their behavior.

I've read it in Trademark sites that if you don't defend it you lose it. I've not read "lolmakeup.org".
And i'll defend my IP anyway. Problem?

As far as I know, AM2R and Pokémon Uranium have both been given DMCA takedown notices for their download links, but neither creator has been issued a C&D, so they can still continue to work on the projects. Nintendo waited about a day before issuing either takedown, so it's possible that might be some kind of roundabout endorsement; they're minimally “protecting their IP,” but the game has already been distributed at that point, and people can just upload their own copies and spread the download links.

I don't know if it works like that. It may be but there must be another reason. At this point i'd ask a lawyer or copyright expert about this.

And i'll stay in my position: if you're so good at making games (because the author of AM2R has been good at it), make your own game, don't remake one made by someone else.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2016, 07:59:59 AM »

The skillset required to make a remake is quite different than the one required to make your own game though. Plus, a remake has a clear direction to take, an original project does not.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic