Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411637 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Danque_Birbington_II

May 14, 2024, 02:50:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsPAX East
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: PAX East  (Read 31910 times)
Mike Lee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: March 24, 2010, 10:30:18 PM »

So... anyone attending PAX East here? I know there should be some indie presence with the Indie Boston Showcase and the Limbo guys are there also showing off.

Never been to any of the PAXs on the west coast so looking forward to the experience!
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 10:57:41 PM »

I am very bummed I'm not making it, but if you're at all interested in IF check out the happenings with that...it's going to be the biggest gathering of the IF community (indie and old Infocom) ever, plus the premier of the IF documentary, a suite in one of the hotels just for playing/writing IF...a lot going on.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 08:54:10 AM »

I wanted to, but I couldn't find anyone to roll out with. So it was too expensive.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 10:49:25 AM »

I cannot head all the way out to Boston. I'm an AZ boy, that is quite a trip. I am hoping to go to PAX West though.
mildmojo
Level 1

summer rain (soon)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 07:22:44 PM »

It was fun, but overcrowded. I really enjoyed the 10-seat Steel Battalion room (crazy original xbox mech simulator). I'd never even heard of the game before. Who doesn't like two sticks, 3 pedals, and 40 buttons & switches?  Hand Metal Right

There was a small section on the expo floor for Boston indies, which was cool. Slam Bolt Scrappers, Aaaah, Dearth, Waker, Turba, and Miegakure were being shown. MIT's Gambit Game Lab had a pretty large booth next to the Bostonians, too.

They'll be moving it to the much larger Boston Convention and Exhibition Center (BCEC) next year, which can only help.

DEMAKE compo entry: Road Trip: Southwest USA
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 07:37:44 PM »

there needs to be a game event in nyc/nj area, boston is too far

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 04:29:53 PM »

I'm going to be on a panel.  :3

I'm super excited about meeting all the IF developers; I've been interested in getting into IF for a while now.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
Jay Margalus
Level 0

designer and developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 04:46:40 PM »

We're (Lunar Giant Studios) looking into getting a booth in Indie Alley at PAX East.  Anyone know what kind of foot traffic we'd get there?  Really excited to meet everyone and talk games!

Former co-owner of Lunar Giant Studios (game company), former gamedev faculty at DePaul University. Now: Teaching entrepreneurship and design at Washington & Lee. On Twitter @jaymargalus.
Squidly
Level 1

You See Here a Profile

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 08:52:32 AM »

We're (Lunar Giant Studios) looking into getting a booth in Indie Alley at PAX East.  Anyone know what kind of foot traffic we'd get there?  Really excited to meet everyone and talk games!

Last I checked, the indie games were a bit shallow, but enough to get a name out there.
There were a lot of booths (such as Twisted Pixel) who held contests and live demonstrations (on special days and times) to increase hype, but the lines were definably around the "Big Name" games and the Xbox lounge, which is where I believe Limbo got most of its early attention.
broadcastbrian2
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 08:48:42 PM »

Does anyone know of cheap lodging around the convention area. Close enough for a walk. I'm a broke student from chicago who would be spending most of the money getting there, eating, and attending.
Jay Margalus
Level 0

designer and developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 07:43:45 PM »

Last I checked, the indie games were a bit shallow, but enough to get a name out there.
There were a lot of booths (such as Twisted Pixel) who held contests and live demonstrations (on special days and times) to increase hype, but the lines were definably around the "Big Name" games and the Xbox lounge, which is where I believe Limbo got most of its early attention.

I appreciate the rundown, Squidly!  It's looking like we're going to get a booth there if we can get together the cash to do it.  At the very least, we just want to see the faces of other gamers and people who've already bought our game.  Smiley

@broadcastbrian - if you find out about cheap lodging, let me know! We're also from Chicago, so we're going to need a place to stay, too!  What do you say, Ditka party on night one?  I'll bring the fake mustaches.

Former co-owner of Lunar Giant Studios (game company), former gamedev faculty at DePaul University. Now: Teaching entrepreneurship and design at Washington & Lee. On Twitter @jaymargalus.
broadcastbrian2
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 09:05:23 PM »

@Poplicola - So down. I'll gear up in my bears merch just to sweeten the deal. I'll keep looking and when I find something I'll post it here. Also the fake 'staches are a must.
dsilvers
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 05:33:03 PM »

I'll be there, and Lantana Games will once again be at the Made in MA industry party the night before. Still don't know what we'll be showing off, it'll either be everything we've done so far or the latest build of Children of Liberty, or both. Would love to shoot for both, they give us a big enough powerstrip to have a few laptops going. However we didn't hit the submission deadline for the Boston Indies showcase at PAX proper, so I'll just be wandering around the showfloor again.
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 05:59:19 AM »

I think I'll linger around Indie Alley if in doubt.

Any good events going on that I could jump into?

Jay Margalus
Level 0

designer and developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 02:09:01 PM »

I home brewed a batch of creamy ale beer and will be handing it out to anyone of age at a small Lunar Giant get-together Saturday night at the Park Plaza Hotel.  Message me your info if you're interested -- TIGSource people are always invited.

We're also organizing a caravan from Chicago->Boston, and are looking into an RV/bus, so again, pass along your info if that sounds cool and I'll send you the details.

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 06:11:16 PM »

The caravan sounds very interesting.  I live in Ames, so I'd need to find a way over to Chicago in the first place.  But color me interested.

<-- My E-mail is over there.

EDIT:  I still haven't booked a hotel room.  Might look into Park Plaza.

EDIT 2:  Christ, that's expensive.  Anyone interested in splitting a room?

EDIT 3:  Never mind, found a HI hostel.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 06:40:00 PM by Cellulose » Logged

Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 08:17:26 AM »

Ooh, 3-day passes are on sale! I've got friends who can put me up in Boston, just gotta see if I can scare of $55 for the weekend. Weeeee!

Never been to PAX, anyone wanna gimme the lowdown? I hear it's awesome.
mankoon
Level 4

And that is how you get to Llama School.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 10:29:33 AM »

For the record, I'm going but I'm still knew to tigs.
It will be my first Pax!  Big Laff

there needs to be a game event in nyc/nj area, boston is too far
And Boston is not very far away From Nj/NJ... when you consider that it's the closest gaming con available.   Even if it was closer it would be in the Javits Center. No one can afford hotels near the Javits Center so that's not going to happen. Bus rides to cons like these are full of online gaming, so it's not even an annoying trip.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 01:30:02 PM by mankoon » Logged

Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 11:59:15 AM »

http://us.megabus.com/

Long-distance bus rides starting from $1.50. You're welcome!

Also, for those of us in New England, New York is often too far to travel and there's really nothing else going on outside of Boston.
Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 07:14:32 AM »

Just bought my 3-Day Pass!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic