Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 08:16:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborations[Writer] Offering some assistance...
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Writer] Offering some assistance...  (Read 980 times)
Writy
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2013, 12:10:56 AM »

Hi!

I've lurked around for a little while and I've discovered that writers aren't particularly needed, so I'll try to explicit why I posted anyway:

I am mostly offering help regarding storylines. That is, if you are stuck with the way your story develops, or need fresh ideas, or the consistency of your universe, I am willing to take a look and give you some feedback. I won't tell you that I am the all mighty Writing Guru, but I've been writing stories of different genres for a while.

I am also willing to write some dialogues for RPGs and such games where there are a lot of dialogues needed, I won't deal with a major part of it however, this is really "to help".

For those two things, I don't care if you are working on a commercial game or not, if I feel that I can help, I will try, otherwise I won't and you'll use what I tell you / what I write if you like it.

Now, I would also like to be a "small addition to a team", discussing design and writing for people who would, in return, teach me some code. I am an OK learner, I ask most of my questions once - but I ask a lot of them. This primarily concerns people that do this "for fun", if you are trying to earn a living by doing games, you don't want me around and you don't want to rely on me.

Additional information:
- I've read (on the forum) somewhere that a good writer should have a Russian writer in his readings... I don't know if Isaac Asimov counts as such, but that's the only one I found.
- I've read that a good writer should have a lot of books and read each day... I do not.
- I've read that a good writer should have published a book... I self-published a novel and two short stories, but they are in French.
- I've read that writer's should present some of their earlier work, but since most of that has not been written in English and since interactivity is primordial in games, I have made a little PHP game, yesterday afternoon, just for you: http://jouer-et-ecrire.com/demo
- I am mostly into Medieval-Fantasy, Contemporary-Fantasy and Contemporary stories.

Pros:
- Comfortable with a lot of subjects.
- Quick learner.
- Accept criticism (if it's useful, it's always easier).
- Some knowledge of programming, which is useful for the "what can be done" part of designing a game.

Cons:
- I do not live in an English-speaking country which means that I might have some rewriting to do.
- I have a job, which I love, so I have little free time.
- I live in France, which might be a problem regarding the hours during which I am available to chat.

To conclude, I'll say that I am aware that it's hard to know if a writer is good or not right off the bat, especially since writing a book doesn't make you good at writing games. Each type of writings ask of the writer a particular set of skills (which won't help you if your daughter is kidnapped in Paris, sadly), I can't tell you if I have those required of a game writer, and my guess is that you can't tell either. My take on this is that I will offer some help to people from time to time and after a while, the quality of my work will show (whether that means it'll be crap or great, I don't know yet).

TL;DR: I write and I want to discuss design and learn code, though I don't have that much time on my hands.
soryy708
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 12:21:37 AM »

Would you like to work on a visual novel with me?
Writy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 12:33:22 AM »

I've not read any manga in a long time (years, really).

Here are my "requirements" if we are to work on such a project:
- The first "visual novel" has to be short. I am not joking, it has to be a 10 minutes long game. Consider it a "test drive", and that what you'll have done for your engine will still be useful if you continue with someone else afterwards.
- The first "visual novel" has to be free if I am to write its story (if I am only helping someone, I don't have any requirement).
- Branching story... At least 3 endings.

Though I would agree to participate in writing a "short story", since I should have the time, you should be aware that working on something "bigger" could be a problem for me (at least on my first weeks here).

I think there is also a chance you could find an artist with some writing skills, which might be better for a first attempt at this. I have never worked with an artist on a story of mine (I already gave some advice to a guy who draw about his storyline but I've never had someone put in picture what I wrote).

If you're still interested, tell me so, and we'll work on something.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 02:32:03 AM by Writy » Logged
soryy708
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 12:38:11 AM »

Yes, I'm still interested.

Your requirements are fine with me.

I can see your point as of why perhaps it's a good idea to find a writer who is also an artist, but I'm a strong believer in specialization.

I guess that it's obvious as of why the artist (especially for a visual novel) needs to work hand in hand with the writer. The reason of course is that part of the narrative is told through the visuals (hence, visual novel).

Send me a PM with your contact details (Skype? EMail?) so we can discuss this in real time.
Writy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 12:47:44 AM »

I sent you a PM... But since it's the first one I send on this forum, I'm not sure it went through (nothing in the outbox?).

EDIT: Just fixed the demo... Sorry about that.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 12:55:32 AM by Writy » Logged
soryy708
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 06:56:08 AM »

I've received your PM.
I've also sent you mail and added you on Skype.
Zagrom
Level 0

Perception is Reality.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 01:22:35 PM »

I don't need these services this moment, But once the game Im working on gets further along in its story it might help to have someone look through it and help fill in the gaps.

Mostly posting so when the time comes I can trace back where this post is.

Writy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 08:15:12 PM »

No problem, Zagrom.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic