Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411558 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 01:16:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsArtist and Writer Sought For #1GAM December
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Artist and Writer Sought For #1GAM December  (Read 1237 times)
RalenHlaalo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 21, 2013, 06:40:15 PM »

Hi there,

I'm a C++ programer, and I'll be participating in #1GAM (one game a month) this December under my company name Recursive Loop. The game will be based on this demo.

It will be set in a post-apocalyptic world (a bit cliched I know) in which you begin underground and must reach the surface - the tension gradually building throughout.

The music is composed by Tom Adams. See here for a sample, which shows the kind of vibe I'm aiming for. Imagine that music playing just as the player steps out into the world when the daunting and ominous nature of what lies ahead begins to dawn on them. The musician will probably create as many loops as we'll need.

I'm looking for an artist, and possibly a writer. Ideally I'd like to have something fairly complete, albeit rather unpolished, by the end of December. Then, we can decide whether we want to leave it there or develop it further into a finished product that we can sell. Naturally, you will receive a share of any profits made if we end up selling it.

I'd like to bring the game to as many platforms as possible.

My previous #1GAM entry was back in January, and can be seen here. It was built in roughly two weeks. It's currently in the number one position under 'Puzzles' in the Ubuntu Software Centre, so feel free to check it out if you're an Ubuntu user.

Cheers,
R.Jinman

Alder
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 04:27:03 PM »

If the writing position is still open I'd be very interested. I'm an award-winning novelist,  I'm looking to get involved in game writing, and this sounds like it'll fit into my schedule pretty well (plus I'm also just starting out learning programming with C++ myself and I figure I could learn a thing or two!).

I'm up for just doing the writing and keeping out of the way, or being involved further should design elements fall into my remit.
RalenHlaalo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 09:24:03 PM »

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes, I'm still looking for a writer, and I'll be happy to work with you if you're up for it. You can have as much input into the project as you wish - along with the yet-to-be-found artist. I have some vague idea of what the game is to be like, but I'm willing to step back and bury myself in the code if someone else wants to take on the bulk of the creative work.

There is a newer version of the demo to show off; I'll upload a video of it soon. I'll send you a brief of the idea so far, and you can take it from there.

matwek
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 04:30:39 AM »

I might be able to help out with art. I'm a little busy at the moment so I wouldn't be able to do animated sprites but I should have the time to do some tilesets for you if you're intersted?

My most recent work is helping out with the environmental art in Freedom Planet

I'm also British as well if that helps.
RalenHlaalo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 11:52:51 PM »

I might be able to help out with art. I'm a little busy at the moment so I wouldn't be able to do animated sprites but I should have the time to do some tilesets for you if you're intersted?

My most recent work is helping out with the environmental art in Freedom Planet

I'm also British as well if that helps.

Hi, thanks for your interest. I had a look at your portfolio; you've done some impressive work.

The artistic style I have in mind for this game is something fairly modern and high-res - not retro and pixely. Your Blossoms game comes closest I think. Perhaps you could do the background art? My 'engine' is not explicitly tile-based - though obviously we can, and probably will, want to tile various imagery in places.

So if you're interested in drawing the scenery, and if I can't find an artist willing to do everything - only the sprites - I'll get back to you and we'll figure something out.

Nicholas Lives
Level 1

Catch of the Day

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 11:39:28 AM »

I love the look of that engine you built, looks like it's a pretty fluid game! I'd be interested in helping out with art if you're still looking for one. I'm also a writer, so if you need any help in that region I could pitch in as well. I definitely like the idea here, so I'd be glad to help in any way I can. My main portfolio is http://alalge.deviantart.com/gallery/, but if you click on that little picture in my signature, you can also see some of my more recent work on my own personal project, "We Need to go Deeper."

Take a gander and let me know what ya think! Gentleman
RalenHlaalo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 10:32:55 AM »

I love the look of that engine you built, looks like it's a pretty fluid game! I'd be interested in helping out with art if you're still looking for one. I'm also a writer, so if you need any help in that region I could pitch in as well. I definitely like the idea here, so I'd be glad to help in any way I can. My main portfolio is http://alalge.deviantart.com/gallery/, but if you click on that little picture in my signature, you can also see some of my more recent work on my own personal project, "We Need to go Deeper."

Hi! I like your work a lot. I think it suits the style I had in mind.

I'll write up a summary of my ideas for the game so far, and then perhaps you can draw some concept sketches based on that - and we'll try to settle on a general look and feel for the game.

Alder
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 06:40:28 AM »

If this is still going, I'm done with uni work for a while so I can get started with narrative/design stuff whenever you're ready.
Nicholas Lives
Level 1

Catch of the Day

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 05:09:10 PM »

Hi! I like your work a lot. I think it suits the style I had in mind.

I'll write up a summary of my ideas for the game so far, and then perhaps you can draw some concept sketches based on that - and we'll try to settle on a general look and feel for the game.

Sounds good to me! I look forward to seeing these ideas, then!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic