Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411560 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 02:59:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsLooking for advisers [Code / Design / Writing]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Looking for advisers [Code / Design / Writing]  (Read 872 times)
Writy
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 21, 2013, 07:48:58 AM »

Hi, I'ld like to try and make a game... But I'm not that into it, so I'm not going to try and create a team, that would be unwise. You would lose your time and probably distrust me in the end if I wanted to do that.

I don't have much time, I'll probably code from time to time and try to make an early version during the next summer. I'm going to be really busy IRL.

However, I'm not skilled enough to make a game by myself, that may change, but I'll need some help, so I am looking for adviser to speak with on Skype (mostly to have conversations, not just "hit and run" questions).

The game
The game will be a medieval-fantasy RPG (rogue-like? I see this a lot, I'm not sure it would qualify as one) set in a world of my creation. I would like it to be randomly generated but with different templates and biomes depending on the background I created. (Basically, I would dictate some guidelines as to what the situation is when you start playing, but these wouldn't stick. You could kill the King, for instance, and there would be another ruler appointed. It's just that the King would be the same one for everyone that start playing the game.)

I would like the game to take place during a very large time-span. Basically, you'ld start as a teenager and could die of old age (if you're lucky), and then incarnate a member of your descent or just create another teenager. This will need some major coding, in my opinion, but I know it could work. (I've had a motto in my mind for some time: "Dwarf Fortress exists, any game is possible.")

I think, however, that I will start with a small area, a small village, a small number of professions, a small fauna and flora, etc. and then expand further and further. (I know this might cause some problems, but hey, I have to learn. I could always create a precursor to the game and then the game I really wanted to do.)

I'm not looking to make incredible graphics... I am really enjoying LCS and Cataclysm (which are both in ASCII graphics, but much less difficult to play than Dwarf Fortress in my opinion). Due to my past experience with web browsers, I might want to implement mouse-related controls (mouseover info-bubles, etc.) which I feel would make the game much more readable and a little less difficult to design.

I don't know if there would only be ASCII graphics, however... I'm not set on a lot of things. I need some advice, as you may have understood.

The game would begin a world which situation I designed (different cultures, magics, historical events, etc.) but from then, things would pursue there own ways with more or less input from the player. (I might add some events that would only occur if things were unchanged.) I'ld like players to be able to discuss about the game and randomly discover that some things are common with other people games (not everything is random) while others aren't (they could have stopped a war from happening).

If you've played Cataclysm or LCS, I would also like text input to be much more diverse, and maybe a bit longer, with a little color-based information in them so that players don't have to read everything (but still could enjoy reading a bit more).

CODE

I will be using Visual Studio 2013 Express to code in C++ using SFML (that means that I am going to use the C++ version of Visual Studio 2012 even though I use 2013). I'm not going to ask you to code anything, but I could ask you how you would (or wouldn't) do it.

I'm also arguing with myself about JSON / XML and there use in data-storage.

DESIGN

I think that anyone could help me with that... It would mostly be about having someone to react to my ideas, I have a lot of them. Maybe help me prioritize a bit, what would have to be implemented first, and all that. Tell me if an idea would interest you, if it wouldn't, why, etc. I think I'll create a DevLog, just for the fun of it... If you don't want me harassing you on Skype, you might just want to check that from time to time.

WRITING

I might want some natives to tell me how to speak English from time to time. If possible, people from different places (US, UK, Australia, etc.) so that I might know about different slang, etc. There might be a little place for Latin in the writing, so if you're into that, why not?

I really don't think I'm going to ask for a beta-read on everything written. If I'm unsure, I'll probably ask, which means that sometimes, some bizarre expressions will be overlooked because I thought they were OK. I'll probably have some feedback about that once an early version is crafted and released, however.

writy_fr
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 07:55:03 AM by Writy » Logged
soryy708
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 08:15:52 AM »

I'm pretty decent in C++. I can be your technical-department advisor.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic