Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 15, 2024, 06:10:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioSeeking feedback for two tracks
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Seeking feedback for two tracks  (Read 1127 times)
stevesan
Level 3

Experienced coder, n00b designer.

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2012, 10:26:45 AM »

I'm a long-time amateur musician and only recently started writing music (in GarageBand) for my own indie games. Just wanted to get some feedback on two tracks I made for two small puzzle games I'm working on. The first is live in my prototype:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/48378162/pupil_web/index.html

Also available on SoundCloud: http://soundcloud.com/stevesan/dilation-1

The second game isn't prototype-ready yet, but the track is here. It's another mind-bending (I hope) puzzle game, and I want this to set the mood:
http://soundcloud.com/stevesan/weightless-chill-factory-1-0

Any thoughts/suggestions for making them better as puzzle game soundtracks? Are they a bit distracting? I'm totally new at this, so lemme have it!

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 10:44:40 AM »

Are they a bit distracting?
i think the bell-like sound you're using for the lead melody in both tracks be a bit intrusive if they're just intended as background music.

also i think a track with a driving beat like the first one ("dilation") might be a bit out of place in a puzzle game (depending on the type of puzzle game obv). to me, a strong rhythmic backing implies continuous forward motion and puzzle games tend to be about stopping to contemplate rather than constantly moving forward. more ambient material like the second track would be more fitting i think.

they're good otherwise though! Smiley
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 08:33:54 AM »

I get a puzzley/ambient vibe from both. Sure, there's a driving beat in Dilation, but it's subtle. Very airy, it's kinda nice. Feels like it's missing a bass layer, though; although it could just be me and my late 90s/early 00s techno-head talking there.

MR4Y
Level 0

A scarcity of miracles.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 09:56:24 PM »

Dilation: The minimalistic approach is really nice. Makes the song light and relaxing and pleasant to hear. On the rising part, I think you should add a more punchy driving beat or add punch to the loop that is already there. The way the song raises makes you think that something big is coming, but it doesn't happen.

Weightless Chill Factory: Really nice feel again with the minimalist approach. My only question: was the key change supposed to segue into another song? It's nice and all but it sort of "corrupts" the song title. (You're chilling like you're floating and then this dark atmosphere kicks in.)

Mental Ray / M3nt4l R4y / MR4Y<br /><br />Some of us build. Some of us teach. Some of us kill what some of us eat.
stevesan
Level 3

Experienced coder, n00b designer.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 08:09:16 AM »

Thanks for the feedback, MR4Y! You have tips of making it more "punchy"? I tried a bit before, but I couldn't find any thing that sounded appropriate. I'll think about it a bit more.

As for the transition, the intent was to make it a bit more mysterious near the end (it's for a puzzle game), so I guess that was successful Tongue

MR4Y
Level 0

A scarcity of miracles.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 10:29:37 AM »

Thanks for the feedback, MR4Y! You have tips of making it more "punchy"? I tried a bit before, but I couldn't find any thing that sounded appropriate. I'll think about it a bit more.

As for the transition, the intent was to make it a bit more mysterious near the end (it's for a puzzle game), so I guess that was successful Tongue

It depends on dynamics. Punch cames from when you feel the rhythm driving the track, as opposed to most modern music where everything is washed out and 'flat' sounding.

Mental Ray / M3nt4l R4y / MR4Y<br /><br />Some of us build. Some of us teach. Some of us kill what some of us eat.
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 12:45:17 PM »

I really like the transition toward the middle/end of the "Weightless Chill Factory" one actually; it's pretty slick, and i think it changes the atmosphere only subtly. In general i think that is a much stronger track, at least for what you're trying to do here. It uses very gentle sounds, and the way they bounce around the stereo field creates a good sense of atmosphere and whimsy or whatever. It is a very good track, and particularly good for the kind of game it sounds like it's for, so, very good work.

I'm not that into the other track though. I don't feel much for the drum sounds or synths that you use on it, so perhaps that is its trouble. The kick drum feels like a pretty generic house kick to me - it's neither particularly energizing or propulsive, nor particularly chill (which is more what this track needs, probably, given what you're using it for). And the hi-hat and long synth notes sound like they came out of some distinctly early 90s hardware, and that's not the worst thing ever but it's something that's always sounded a bit cheap to my ears, and doesn't create good atmosphere like the sounds you use on the other track do - those ones are mixed more subtly and have a less synthetic sound to them. The melodies also feel a little more random and less developed on Dilation than on your other track.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic